Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2011, 09:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,374 times

Advertisements

My child attends a a good public school. Grant Elementary, but was recently called off the lottery for one of the High Tech Charter schools. The commute will be about 20 minutes compared to the 6 minute commute to Grant. Grant is diverse. It has great parent participation and community involvement. High Tech Charter is a dominant hispanic population and not much diversity. It as project based learning and is independent. It is not all about testing. In a nice suburban area, but a change of pace compared to the nice Urban neighborhood I live in. Would taking a child out of a Mission Hills neighborhood community for a East Chula Vista Charter school make a difference? High API Public School vs New Project Based Elementary school? Honestly, I would keep my child in Grant, but not so sure about the budget cuts and seems like public schools are cutting the arts/music programs. This new charter school has art/science and music within the program. Any opinions ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 09:23 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn benz View Post
Any opinions ?
It's a though one!
Charter schools are really good or really bad there's no medium imo.

What's cool about charters though is,they operate how they see fit.
That's good for the students IMO.
I say send him.
He's going to get a better education in a charter/private school then he will in public school.

I wouldn't worry to much about diversity,he's getting a pretty good education Who Cares!

Old 09-29-2011, 09:30 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn benz View Post
My child attends a a good public school. Grant Elementary, but was recently called off the lottery for one of the High Tech Charter schools. The commute will be about 20 minutes compared to the 6 minute commute to Grant. Grant is diverse. It has great parent participation and community involvement. High Tech Charter is a dominant hispanic population and not much diversity. It as project based learning and is independent. It is not all about testing. In a nice suburban area, but a change of pace compared to the nice Urban neighborhood I live in. Would taking a child out of a Mission Hills neighborhood community for a East Chula Vista Charter school make a difference? High API Public School vs New Project Based Elementary school? Honestly, I would keep my child in Grant, but not so sure about the budget cuts and seems like public schools are cutting the arts/music programs. This new charter school has art/science and music within the program. Any opinions ?
lynn,

Such an interesting dilemma. I dont have kids, but am quite fascinated with the approach parents have about 'education' and what that entails.

Every child is different (obviously) but at least if he/she had won the lottery to get in there, it would be worth a shot. Do you know if your child doesnt like the school, can he/she go back to Grant without any problems?

I think as far as cutting edge learning environments and tools, I am a huge advocate of that. IMHO, education is need of some progressive restructuring and public schools dont provide that type of environment from what I have seen here.

Project based learning is not too dissimilar to what we do now in tech. Working in groups to solve problems and understand how to communicate with those in your group (aka teamwork).
OF course its not for everyone but is one of the better methods that I have seen in the education system today.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:45 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Depends on a lot of factors, particularly the child. My niece is at HTM (Liberty Station) and struggles with the self-directed learning, she would probably do better with a more structured environment.

Personally I think the high-tech programs are good if you have type of kid that can capitalize, else a more traditional "3-R's" type school like Grant could be a better fit.

The only potential problems with the high performing SDUSD schools are the aging and decrepit buildings and the potential for budget cuts to force more crowding as nearby schools close - neither seems like enough of an issue at Grant to warrant pulling your kids out.

We are on the fence (we have to make a decision next year), either Hearst / Green / Bencheley-Weinberger vs private school. For our son, a 35-child classroom might just not be a good fit no matter how good the school is academically.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:31 PM

24 posts, read 43,478 times
After putting my 4 through public schools and observing my grandkids in various schools in San Diego region plus working 40+ years in post-sec. education I find it is really up to the child. Are they comfortable in the school? Are they [i]learning[i], not just getting good grades? Do they seem to thrive in the current environment? Then leave them where they are, a child gets out of a school what they put into it if the basic element is present - dedicated teachers. If, however, they are exhibiting problems with their current experience go for the change. The High Tech system is well thought out and has a good track record with motivated kids - which is the key to success anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego