Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 07:37 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
Thanks ER (cant rep you anymore) I never thought about going to TJ airport. I have no issues at all with Mexico, but would probably want to do the Caribbean coast/Yucatan so I could snorkel more. Also I do have a short cruise already booked for Baja next year so I don't need to go to the Pacific coast. I am wondering if TJ airport does to Belize and Central America...

Anyway back to Hawaii. Pretty close to pulling the trigger on an Oahu flight. Its direct, car rentals are cheaper than normal and found a VRBO on the north shore that is decent. It would be a low stress vacation. I love VBRO since I love to cook local foods and I can get a place with a kitchen and grill. Plus, lets be honest Hawaii, for the most part, has the highest price restaurant food to average quality taste ratio of about anywhere I have been. Yet, the local grocery stores (not safeway) and fish markets have great quality. the Big Island is my favorite but I need to expand my horizons!

You're welcome! Traveling is probably my favorite thing to do in the world and we typically spend over 110+ days each year traveling around the world. Now that our daughter started preschool I'm sure that will go down but we will still travel during her summer vacation.

I never thought about the flights out of Tijuana but it might be worth checking out. You can see that article in the magazine. Belize and Central and South America are beautiful and so rich in culture. I really enjoy it and traveling there.

Hawaii is always fabulous and always stress free. I haven't been there in a few years before this summer. Yes, food there is more expensive but I was really surprised how much food prices have come down since I last went. It's not too bad now as there seems to be more competition. We grilled out and made dinner many evenings as we also enjoy that.

The food and fruits and veggies are so fresh there. My wife literally eats 1 entire pineapple each and every day so needless to say she LOVED Hawaii. Ha, ha.

For rental cars, check out Discount Hawaii Car Rental Maui Car Rentals Honolulu Kona Kauai Hilo Waikiki It was by far the cheapest rate we could get. A friend turned us on to it and they use all the major companies. I already had a reservation with Expedia and cancelled it and used them and saved hundreds of dollars during our trip! So check them out. They were very good.

Definitely it sounds like you're a good traveler if you're using VRBO. We LOVE VRBO and Homeaway and try to stay in properties there whenever we can. I've never had a bad experience in any VRBO property we've stayed in. Always a great experience and we try never to stay in hotels anymore. Between VRBO, Homeaway, Flipkey and www.homeexchange.com we can pretty much travel anywhere in the world and rent a home or apartment and love it.

It sounds like you're going to have a great trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 08:37 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,928,096 times
London! British Airways now flies nonstop from SAN to LHR!

Old 10-19-2011, 08:47 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
London! British Airways now flies nonstop from SAN to LHR!
you better know I will be on this flight at some point. But I want some serious R&R, and London is WAY too fun to just chill out. Plus its a budget buster which I don't need now. But the prices of this flight are better now, so it is tempting. It is also very nice to get to LHR and then you can get a flight anywhere else...so essentially one layover to get anywhere in Europe from SD. But lord I HATE LHR. Really time consuming to get through customs. The EU line is lightening fast but the "other nationality" line is so SLOW. Count on 2-3 hours to transfer during peak times.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:55 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,851,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
If you want urban, the greatest city in the world, New York, is serviced non stop by United, jetBlue, Delta and American!
Continental non-stop to Newark too!

Old 10-19-2011, 10:49 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,735,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
So we are looking at Hawaii (Oahu, specifically, since there are direct flights (!) about 5 hours long from SD.
I'm off to Honolulu tomorrow and can't wait!

What about Cabo or Puerto Vallarta? Both easy flights and relaxing. If being warm isn't a must, then check out Vancouver.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:05 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,930,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
I'm off to Honolulu tomorrow and can't wait!

why

Old 10-19-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
why
Just a quick vacation....

Old 10-20-2011, 08:55 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,825,175 times
Quote:
Just a quick vacation....
Aaaah, I know you'll enjoy!!

Old 10-20-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
Aaaah, I know you'll enjoy!!
For sure! Recommendations for good Hawaiian and Japanese food in/around Honolulu?

Old 10-20-2011, 12:06 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,825,175 times
Quote:
For sure! Recommendations for good Hawaiian and Japanese food in/around Honolulu?
Oh wow! Let me think here; all of the below places are throughout Honolulu in various small communities - I love:
- Michi's Cooking Fresh for you has a Food Truck that I've gotten the best Vietnamese Pork I've ever had; her truck is usually in Mapunapuna (ask the hotel staff about how to get to the area) and also in front of the Sports Authority on Sand Island Road.
- Nico's on Pier 38 on Nimitz Hwy.
- Tanaka's Saimin, also on Nimitz Hwy;
- Soon's Kal Bi (Korean Fast Food) on Salt Lake Blvd
- Siam Kitchen (hole in the wall) in Waimalu Shopping Center on Kamehameha Hwy in Aiea - Great Thai food
- Siam Garden another great Thai Restuarant on Nimitz Hwy
- Big Kahuna Pizza on Paiea Street (near the airport)
- Liliha Bakery on Liliha St in Kalihi - You want to get the CoCo Puffs (OMG!!)
- Morning Brew on Kailua Rd (If you're on that side of the island).

I'm now really missing Hawaii and the good and cheap eats! There are so many great restuarants throughout Waikiki!!

Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego