Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 08:41 AM

5 posts, read 7,359 times

Advertisements

So i have a couple questions..

Are LVN jobs hard to find in San Diego? I always told myself i would never work in a nursing home but a job is a job and i am willing to take anything.

Also would it be smart to find a job first then move or move with money saved then look for a job? My problem with the first option is that i feel like most employers would prefer someone who already lives in San Diego and i would most likely have to travel there for interviews and it would just be a waste of money if i didn't get the job. The second option seems more realistic to me because i would most likely try to save up at least 4-6 months worth of living expenses then move and look for a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 10:48 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
I would contact the local employers. Scripps has several LVN openings. The local colleges offer LVN to BSN. San Diego is the hardest town to get an RN job. If you are experienced you can get interviews. The internet/web sites are your friends.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:51 AM

47 posts, read 107,286 times
I don't work in that occupation so I don't know if jobs are hard to find but I know there are tons of nursing homes in the area. It's harder to find a job if you're from out of state because employers know many people move here looking for jobs. They are less likely to higher someone that just moved here with no local references or experience.

A few weeks after I moved here I noticed this bias after I wasn't getting responses from interviews. Then I started telling people I grew up the area, had friends and family in the area, and had just moved back here months ago and finally I got a job.

Depending on where you live, I would drive out here and find a place to live for a few months. And whatever you do, don't tell them you just moved here and sound desperate for a job because of the crappy economy.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:50 AM

5 posts, read 7,359 times
That sounds like a smart idea. A little white lie can never hurt. Thanks!

Old 01-06-2012, 05:39 PM

43 posts, read 67,530 times
i found that i had to move down here first for employers to look at me. I was blessed to be able to obtain 2 jobs in my field of interest (animals) within 2 months of moving down here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: