Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 10:47 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times

Advertisements

Just a few additions from me -

All we know from the OP is that she wants an area that is safe, and has an option for good public transit to Downtown, and maybe some beach access.

With that, I think she should consider Mission Valley as well. It has a direct trolley route downtown. I personally wouldn't live there because I don't like its drive-everywhere, Big Mall layout. But the OP hasn't said she wants to avoid that kind of living.

My personal choices also would be the Balboa Park neighborhoods. No trolley access, but lots of bus routes downtown.

Why I like these areas:

University Heights has it's commercial area along Park Boulevard. Lots of craftsman and late Victorian single family homes west of Park Boulevard, but plenty rental options all over.

South Park has a very welcoming commercial area along 30th Street. Lots of old craftsman and bungalow style architecture.

North Park has its recently rejuvenated commercial area at University Avenue and 30th Street. It has both single family home areas and a rental home and apartments area in between ECB and University Avenue.

Hillcrest has the largest commercial area of all the Balboa Park neighborhoods around the intersection of University and 5th Avenues. For rental housing, it has high rises, mid-rises, and small two story apartment complexes. It's very noisy and busy in some areas, and less so in other areas.

These old-style walkable commercial areas are what I believe gives a neighborhood appeal, and why I don't appreciate Mission Valley, but we don't know what the OP is wanting.

Southern Kensington, south of Adams Avenue, is part of Kensington, and is the only part of Kensington where she will find very many rental options. There are only a few rentals north of Adams Avenue. Personally, other than the first block north of El Cajon Boulevard, between ECB and Meade, I think the rest of southern Kensington (aka Kensington Park) is just fine. The only downside are that the North -South streets are underlit. But you will only be one block away from a well lit East-West street. Kensington has the benefit of a very nice 4 block commercial area with several restaurants, hair salons, etc. Plus all of the commercial area along Adams Avenue in Normal Heights is easily accessed as well.

Normal Heights should be considered as well. As indicated earlier, the area north of Adams Avenue is better and offers plenty of access to the commercial areas. However, the south of Adams area, with careful inspection of building conditions, parking, onsite laundry rooms, could be thrown into the mix as well.

And like Cleveland Gal said, why live near the beach north of San Diego, when it will take you at least 45 minutes to get home in stop and go traffic. It will be 6pm and you can either walk along the beach while you are starving for dinner, or you can make dinner, and then try to walk to the beach around 7pm or 7:30pm. That's kind of late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 11:28 AM

5 posts, read 6,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Just a few additions from me -

All we know from the OP is that she wants an area that is safe, and has an option for good public transit to Downtown, and maybe some beach access.

With that, I think she should consider Mission Valley as well. It has a direct trolley route downtown. I personally wouldn't live there because I don't like its drive-everywhere, Big Mall layout. But the OP hasn't said she wants to avoid that kind of living.

My personal choices also would be the Balboa Park neighborhoods. No trolley access, but lots of bus routes downtown.

Why I like these areas:

University Heights has it's commercial area along Park Boulevard. Lots of craftsman and late Victorian single family homes west of Park Boulevard, but plenty rental options all over.

South Park has a very welcoming commercial area along 30th Street. Lots of old craftsman and bungalow style architecture.

North Park has its recently rejuvenated commercial area at University Avenue and 30th Street. It has both single family home areas and a rental home and apartments area in between ECB and University Avenue.

Hillcrest has the largest commercial area of all the Balboa Park neighborhoods around the intersection of University and 5th Avenues. For rental housing, it has high rises, mid-rises, and small two story apartment complexes. It's very noisy and busy in some areas, and less so in other areas.

These old-style walkable commercial areas are what I believe gives a neighborhood appeal, and why I don't appreciate Mission Valley, but we don't know what the OP is wanting.

Southern Kensington, south of Adams Avenue, is part of Kensington, and is the only part of Kensington where she will find very many rental options. There are only a few rentals north of Adams Avenue. Personally, other than the first block north of El Cajon Boulevard, between ECB and Meade, I think the rest of southern Kensington (aka Kensington Park) is just fine. The only downside are that the North -South streets are underlit. But you will only be one block away from a well lit East-West street. Kensington has the benefit of a very nice 4 block commercial area with several restaurants, hair salons, etc. Plus all of the commercial area along Adams Avenue in Normal Heights is easily accessed as well.

Normal Heights should be considered as well. As indicated earlier, the area north of Adams Avenue is better and offers plenty of access to the commercial areas. However, the south of Adams area, with careful inspection of building conditions, parking, onsite laundry rooms, could be thrown into the mix as well.

And like Cleveland Gal said, why live near the beach north of San Diego, when it will take you at least 45 minutes to get home in stop and go traffic. It will be 6pm and you can either walk along the beach while you are starving for dinner, or you can make dinner, and then try to walk to the beach around 7pm or 7:30pm. That's kind of late.
That's a good point - I definitely want to avoid the suburbia, strip mall-type areas; I'd like to live in an area with character and personality with easy public transit.

It seems like Hillcrest, and South and North Park are the favorites? After reading your responses, I think that staying in the City (as opposed to PB or Encinitas) is the right choice for me.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:11 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeFan76 View Post
Tonyisnd, do you live in an apartment building? Do you have a car? I've heard parking downtown is really expensive.
Yes, I live in an apartment building, and yes, I have a car. I don't use it very much. I drive to work, and for various errands. But most of the time, my car stays parked in the garage when I'm not working.

Parking is expensive, but most apartments provide it for no charge.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 626 times
I am contemplating moving to El Cajon from LA. Can anyone tell me anything about the Bree Manor Apartments (1515 Broadway)? Any help would be appreciated!! Tommymarquette1965.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego