Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2012, 06:42 PM

12 posts, read 30,159 times

Advertisements

Hi all! In August I will be beginning medical school at UC San Diego, and around that time my girlfriend will be starting her PhD program at UC Riverside. I am hoping to see her as much as possible, but I know that it's a ways between Riverside and La Jolla (around 90 miles). Regarding traffic, how is this drive?

On a typical Friday night, if I wanted to leave La Jolla and get to south Riverside, how long do you think it would take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 12:35 AM

45 posts, read 126,445 times
How late at night? After work would be less than fun. This route also doubles as the way to Las Vegas and Palm Springs from San Diego, so Friday evening traffic can be gnarly depending on things.

With the new carpool/toll lanes running from San Diego to Escondido-ish (???), I've noticed getting *OUT* of San Diego is much easier. Now riding the 215 still stinks, but you can just add a few miles and stay on the 15 and go east on the 91...which isn't all that better in general, but depending on accidents might be the ticket.

Best recommendation is to leave around 9:00PM and should never get in later than midnight, usually closer to 10:45. Best route is 52 East, 15N, 215N. Can go north on I-5 to the 56W over the I-15 if it makes sense based on some accident in Mira Mesa or something.

Get familiar with the highways, and Sigalert.com (and its smartphone app). AM radio with traffic alerts also a good idea.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:06 PM

12 posts, read 30,159 times
I suppose I could leave after the medical school day is over at UCSD, which is actually anytime after 1:00 if I am not assigned to a Friday clinic. So my options are: leave around 1:00 or put in some studying time and then leave in the afternoon or evening.

When would the least busy time be for such a trip? I will take your advice about 9:00 pm, but that's pretty late. Love to hear more information. And thank you, jarfykk, for the very specific route recommendations.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:07 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
I-15 northbound on a Friday starts to get slow around 3 PM and stays slow until around 7 PM. If you leave at 1 PM or so, you should be OK.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:33 AM

41 posts, read 142,313 times
Leave at 1PM if you can, and it will be fine. I'm assuming by "La Jolla" you mean the area around UCSD, and not the area around La Jolla Cove. 5 (or 805) north, 56 east, 15 north, 215 north is your best bet. The 15 between Escondido and the 215 split always feels longer when I'm driving it than it does on the map. Once you're past Escondido, the speed limit goes up to 70 mph! From time to time, there's a border patrol checkpoint on 15 north approaching Temecula which can add some delays. Can't believe people actually commute 5 days a week from Temecula to downtown SD. Good luck to you both - I'm finishing up my PhD at UCSD while my girlfriend toils at UCSF. People like us are the "use case" for high-speed rail.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:09 PM

21 posts, read 74,678 times
if you leave UCSD anytime before 3pm to hit up the 15 you will be fine, past 3pm you'll be screwed up to about 5:30-6:00pm. I get off work by the 56 and take 15N at that time and it's been quick usually, if there ever is traffic from 56 to 15N it's usually through RB.
Depending on where UCriverside, it takes the 215 through Perris right? I know that sometimes there can be traffic there because people take it to get to Vegas and Friday nights or Sundays can be a risk. You should be fine once you leave SD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego