Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 12:14 PM

258 posts, read 533,506 times

Advertisements

I need a hard core one. Sigmund Freud type.

I prefer San Diego. But if he/she is really good then I will drive to
Orange County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 12:49 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,543 times
not to many psychiatrists do psychotherapy these days...they just dispense meds. If you like Freud style therapy then you may need to look for that in a therapist. If you have insurance, they will probably have links to profiles (just as they do with any other provider). Sorry I don't have any names though

Old 04-17-2012, 01:09 AM

35 posts, read 67,687 times
I don't think you really want a Sigmund Freud type... Freud broke a lot of ground, but psychiatry has come a long way since then.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:25 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
I think the OP is asking for an analyst. As Clevelandgal states, most psychiatrists these days rely on drugs and don't do much, if any, analysis.

OP, since they're difficult to find, you'll maybe have better luck if you call the various health-care institutions (Scripps, Sharp Rees-Stealy, Kaiser) and ask them directly for a reference to someone and specify that it would be for analysis.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:23 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
Just tell us what bothers you. We're here to help. No charge!

Old 04-17-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Just tell us what bothers you. We're here to help. No charge!
True.everyone knows the BEST advice can be found on internets forums.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:34 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
not to many psychiatrists do psychotherapy these days...they just dispense meds. If you like Freud style therapy then you may need to look for that in a therapist. If you have insurance, they will probably have links to profiles (just as they do with any other provider). Sorry I don't have any names though
Uh, a gross generalization about psychiatrists just dispensing (well, prescribing, since they aren't pharmacists) meds. But the idea to check with your insurance provider first is a good idea. "Hard core...Freudian" is kind of general and not necessarily how many psychiatrists would describe themselves.

The American Medical Associations Web site has a "Doctor Finder" feature and you can search by specialty, including psychiatry. You would, as suggested, have to see the Web sites of the docs you find. The American Psychiatric Associaton may have a referral service or at least a guide on finding the best psychiatrist for you. I assume you've already decided you want a psychiatrist and not a psychologist.

I just saw a movie today about the relatinship between Freud and Jung. You want only Freudian and not Jungian?

Oh, be sure not to put your shoes on the coach, unless the office has Freudian slip covers (I understand that one kills them at psychiatrist conferences).

I really do wish you luck. Finding the right psychiatrist can be very, very beneficial. So many people could use one and never do (sometimes out of embarrassment).

Last edited by Samoi137; 04-18-2012 at 03:44 PM..

Old 04-18-2012, 04:34 PM

31 posts, read 86,943 times
You're looking for a psychiatrist on an internet forum? What are you, nuts? J/K.

Isn't there a professional psychiatric website os someplace like that for referrals?

Old 04-18-2012, 07:43 PM

Samos I have worked many years with psychiatrists and providing anything more than a few theraputic statements to patients is not typical...So I would not call my statement a "gross generalization". Feel free to prove me wrong by posting some resources for the original poster.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:35 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NudeBeachGirl View Post
... Stereotypes are incredibly stupid and anyone who uses them is not a smart person and should never breed children but they do and they will so what can you do.

ROFL!

Please tell me you did that on purpose!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego