Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2012, 11:27 AM

9 posts, read 34,831 times

Advertisements

We have included our search to San Diego. We were first looking at San Luis Obispo, but my company is located in SD so it would be wiser to relocate there.

We're in st. Louis Missouri and neither my wife nor I have lived in california. We have 3 children (7,5,3) and two dogs. Want to live in an area where the schools are good.

From what I've gathered we could pick from Poway, Del Mar (if you can afford it) and Encinitas. Have I missed some areas? Are these correct (good schools and family areas).

Any information would be appreciated. We want to rent before we buy so that we can really get a feeling for the area and allow us time to find our niche.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 12:12 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
San Diego is a big place. In what part of San Diego will you be working?

Sounds like you'll need a good-sized single-famly home. What's your rental budget?

Old 06-26-2012, 12:28 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
If you're including Poway for the school district, you're not limited to Poway itself. You can include Santa Luz, Torrey Highlands, Rancho Penasquitos, Rancho Bernardo, Carmel Mountain Ranch, and Sabre Springs. PUSD Boundary Maps

Old 06-27-2012, 12:09 AM

123 posts, read 193,010 times
Don't rule out the Carlsbad area....great parks and activities for kids, high rated schools, close to beach, dining,medical,etc. Good single family residential rentals available.....could narrow it down for you if I knew what $ range you are trying to stay in for a rental.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:22 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,377 times
Where will you be working is an important question awaiting a response.
Now that I am here, I am a big proponent of Eastlake/Otay Ranch. Very family centric and great schools.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:23 PM

8 posts, read 31,595 times
Yes, those are all nice areas but are not cheap. You should expect to pay a minimum of $3000 or more in rent in those areas. Eastlake and Otay Ranch is very nice and has the family atmosphere and great school but is in the "south bay"....the traffic is a nightmare but thats the same for up north. You can get more for your buck in the south especially if you want to purchase.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:47 PM

3 posts, read 3,683 times
Default Relocate to San Diego

If you want some great family friendly areas you might try La Costa Valley or Encinitas Ranch in Encinitas and the South part of Carlsbad. If you're looking for something to buy or lower rent, I'd suggest Village Park in Encinitas, Fieldstone, Northview or New Villainitas. These are all in the Encinitas school district and most of the schools have API scores in the 900's which is excellent. There's plenty for a family to do on weekends like go to the beach, hike the mountains or head to the desert. It's a great place for kids to grow up.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:02 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,709,974 times
Used to live on Carmel Country Road, (off of Del Mar Heights Road) a little south of Del mar proper.

Good area, clean, safe, lots of places to walk around outside, nice little shopping plaza very close by (banks, starbucks, mexican food, post office, 24 hour drug store, large supermarket, Mcdonalds,)etc.

Lots of condos in that area for rent or purchase, its a little less expensive than Del Mar near the beach, this is inland a bit its east of the major highway about a mile or mile or two from the beach.

Lots of kids live in that area too, your kids wont have a problem making friends.

Not sure about the schools, that's something i cant help with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego