Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 09:02 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times

Advertisements

I actually really enjoyed reading ur somewhat goofy post. I felt like your personality really came out, which is nice. You'll do fine in san diego.

people here are generally friendly. Obvi, u know it's beautiful. What are u waiting for? No offense boo boo, but at 29, u aint getting any younger (I moved out here from FL at 27, im 28 now)

get to it!
do it~! i did. and trust me if i can do it, u can do it. I literally obsessed over it and just made it effin happen. . . I make $50k a year anmd am supporting myself quite comfortably
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 05:31 AM

26 posts, read 32,422 times
you basically just described me. I'm only waiting as long as my current lease lasts- and on May 15, 2013, I'm out of here! maybe we can compare search results?

Old 07-26-2012, 04:55 PM

6 posts, read 5,327 times
This is totally me, too! Except I'm moving as soon as I can get a job!! As in, I'm staying in my Grandma's basement and getting reminded every day that I was supposed to be out last month. LOL! I don't want to spend another winter in CO!! Toooo cold!

Old 07-27-2012, 04:11 AM

25 posts, read 64,867 times
This is me too!!! Although I am looking at San Francisco as well as San Diego, it would be cool to bounce ideas off people. I am moving from London and I will not know anyone either!!
I say life is too short so make your plan and just do it, worse comes to worse you can always go back!

Old 07-27-2012, 04:17 AM

684 posts, read 825,336 times
I am looking at Los Angeles, myself, and I'm from London as well.

Some of the real estate in Los Angeles is absolutely stunning.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:01 AM

25 posts, read 64,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugitive View Post
I am looking at Los Angeles, myself, and I'm from London as well.

Some of the real estate in Los Angeles is absolutely stunning.
What part of London are you from? When are you looking to move? I've not been to LA yet.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:23 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieM28 View Post
What part of London are you from? When are you looking to move? I've not been to LA yet.
I miss London, am a yank but lived there for 3 years in my 20s in NW4 near Marylebone High St and Regents Park. Lived in southwest of England as well near Cornwall for a bit.

There are quite a few expats here in San Diego from Old Blighty. Methinks they took a plane and never left San Diego

Some sort of traditional pubs here, but probably best known near the city is The Shake (aka Shakespeare's Pub). Owner and staff have been there forever. You can easily meet expats or folks visiting looking for a decent pint after all the touristy stuff.

Shakespeare Pub & Grille San Diego

I believe there are now direct flights from BA from Gatwick to SAN.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:19 PM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
I miss London, am a yank but lived there for 3 years in my 20s in NW4 near Marylebone High St and Regents Park. Lived in southwest of England as well near Cornwall for a bit.

There are quite a few expats here in San Diego from Old Blighty. Methinks they took a plane and never left San Diego

Some sort of traditional pubs here, but probably best known near the city is The Shake (aka Shakespeare's Pub). Owner and staff have been there forever. You can easily meet expats or folks visiting looking for a decent pint after all the touristy stuff.

Shakespeare Pub & Grille San Diego

I believe there are now direct flights from BA from Gatwick to SAN.
Bars
I just found out Henneseys (sp) is no more. Me sad.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:14 PM

316 posts, read 666,318 times
caligirlatheart, bleugirl, Amber067 & NatalieM28 should all get a house together, then they can all be friends and not be scared (or they can be scared together).

Old 07-28-2012, 06:16 AM

13 posts, read 36,408 times
Watch out for the experts telling you to go for it on a 40k income and possibly little education?

First off, 40k in Colorado is equivilent to ~28k in San Diego due to higher gas, real estate and other living expenses. Cost of Living Calculator: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney

Don't forget 9.8% state tax on top of your 28% federal. Health care and everything else cost more because you're subsidizing fat asses and immigrants and other social programs brought to you by the worst governed state in the country.

Living by yourself will cost maybe $1000 in crappy areas of San Diego. $14-1800 for nicer 1bd apartments.

Going on 30, do you really want to have roomates? My sister has nothing but horror stories. You could find something $700 with own bathroom but expect to live in San Diego broke off your ass forever if you're not continuing your education or marrying a rich guy. Real estate is still half a million in just decent neighborhoods.

Are you really falling for the glamorous image and hollywood lifestyle of California? 90% of this state is so broke they can't even enjoy it. Most people you see at the beaches or doing anything are most likely tourists because locals are too busy working there asses off. Most people agree that California has the most stuck up women what can you do for me attitude.

The weather and close proximity of all season activities is nice but the people, expenses and horribly governed state is why you should probably stick to Colorado and visit California during your summers. You'd save more money, have a retirement plan and increase the odds of finding a better man.

But who knows it might just work out for you. You don't know if you don't try. Just have savings and a backup plan so you're not left whoring your roomate or selling weed for rent payment.

Last edited by snyderkv; 07-28-2012 at 06:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego