Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 04:49 PM

21 posts, read 196,619 times

Advertisements

First off, thanks to all for previous info. It has been very informative.

I was just wondering if there are concerns regarding Gang activity in SD? If we make the move we'll probably be in Poway or near there, or just north of SDSU or in La Mesa (some areas suggested to me by others, thanks). I have friends in LA that have had their neighborhood changed dramatically for the worse by gang activity, but don't know if it is spreading to SD generally or the areas I mentioned. Thanks for the information.

Old 11-29-2006, 05:03 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNY View Post
First off, thanks to all for previous info. It has been very informative.

I was just wondering if there are concerns regarding Gang activity in SD? If we make the move we'll probably be in Poway or near there, or just north of SDSU or in La Mesa (some areas suggested to me by others, thanks). I have friends in LA that have had their neighborhood changed dramatically for the worse by gang activity, but don't know if it is spreading to SD generally or the areas I mentioned. Thanks for the information.
Most of the gang activity in San Diego is concentrated south of the 94 fwy, specifically from Barrio Logan and National City east through the southeastern SD neighborhoods of Logan Heights, Skyline, Chollas View and South Encanto. There is also a gang presence in City Heights, but most of the established gangbangers live at home with mom in southeast SD.

There are a few other smaller hot spots - areas of Vista, San Marcos, Escondido, Linda Vista and San Ysidro.

The key to remember: LA has 65,000 documented gang members. San Diego has 3500.

There is an easy way to spot an area that has a gang problem - tagging. If you see heavily tagged walls (not artful graffitti, just scrawled tags), you are in gang territory.

I am in Poway every day and there is no gang presence there to speak of. I live just south of SDSU near La Mesa and while there is some crime here it is pretty minor, mostly overflow from the crackdown in city heights. We don't have any gang presence in our neighborhood per se. North of the 8 in Del Cerro or La Mesa is totally fine.

Old 11-29-2006, 05:07 PM

21 posts, read 196,619 times
Thanks. I really appreciate the info.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:50 AM

39 posts, read 223,058 times
maybe I am completely wrong here but there was a story on the local news the other day that Mira Mesa leads the county in Gang related activity.... and from the looks of it at night it sure does imo

just my .02

Old 11-30-2006, 10:10 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EquityTrader View Post
maybe I am completely wrong here but there was a story on the local news the other day that Mira Mesa leads the county in Gang related activity.... and from the looks of it at night it sure does imo
just my .02
The violent crime numbers for Mira Mesa are worse than Logan for this year, but Mira Mesa is not nearly as bad as Logan.

Old 11-30-2006, 03:31 PM
jmc

101 posts, read 862,844 times
Great info, Sassberto. Poway is a great choice if you have children, too, due to their great school district. Good luck w/ your move!

Old 12-01-2006, 07:12 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,431,568 times
Poway/RB/Carmel Mtn all act as one big community. The only gangs here are groups of 7 year olds playing chase in one of the many local area parks.

I've been around the US alot and have yet to see a family community that can hold a candle to that area with regards to being family friendly.

North of La Mesa in East county is hit or miss and there are alot of marginal areas out there and a poor school system (even with no kids, this hurts your resale)...cheaper to live though.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:35 AM

3 posts, read 46,167 times
My husband and I moved in 1989 to Poway with our two children and we love it! No gang activity...at all. You can drive ANYWHERE around Poway and you do not see "tagging" or other signs of gang activity. However, as a parent you should be aware that there are LOTS of drugs in Poway.

Anywhere there are "kids with money", there will be problems with drugs and kids getting into trouble with fast cars. Poway is no different from the rest of the world in this regard. However, Poway does try to keep a lid on things, and we do really enjoy living here.

Our family does not live in the "ritzy" area of Poway...we live off of Community and Twin Peaks where homes are in the $550,000 - $600,000 range. I feel safe walking our dog at all hours of the night and we have never had any problems. I highly recommend Poway.

Old 12-02-2006, 05:37 PM

264 posts, read 1,390,734 times
If you can afford it, try Poway, or Carmel Mountain Ranch, for sure. Schools are excellent if you have kids. I lived in Poway for a few years, and never saw any drug activity or heard of any issues, but that was back in the early 90's. But, like a previous poster said, drugs are an issue more for kids who have money. I can attest to this from my supposedly "ritzy", "high-class" high school & neighborhood (Point Loma). I saw too many kids able to afford cocaine and their parents were clueless!

Try to live as close to your job(s) as possible. Most of the traffic flows north to south in the morning, and east to west. If you can get your commute going the other way, do it.

As far as gangs go, I think the cops have a pretty good handle on it in most areas except So. San Diego, and maybe parts of Vista.

Old 12-07-2006, 04:45 PM

9 posts, read 66,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
Poway/RB/Carmel Mtn all act as one big community. The only gangs here are groups of 7 year olds playing chase in one of the many local area parks.

I've been around the US alot and have yet to see a family community that can hold a candle to that area with regards to being family friendly.

North of La Mesa in East county is hit or miss and there are alot of marginal areas out there and a poor school system (even with no kids, this hurts your resale)...cheaper to live though.
Actually the Grossmont and La Mesa Spring Valley School Disrticts in East County are some of the best school districts in the county. In La Mesa's Mt. Helix area homes sell for a million dollars plus so I'm not sure whose "re-sale" value is hurting.

Poway/RB/Carmel Mtn are far away from the heart of San Diego. Not a great choice if you want to take your family to the beach, museums, Petco Park, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego