Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 03:21 PM

8 posts, read 25,004 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a place in SD for the winter, and was told by a friend that $1500 a month would get me a nice modern 1b downtown. I know I should expect to pay more for a short term furnished rental, but everything I'm seeing starts at $2k which is a lot more than I expected. I just want to know if this sounds about right before I commit and realize I could of gotten something a lot cheaper.

Would PB be a lot cheaper?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 04:09 PM

54 posts, read 99,745 times
I would think $1500 would get you a nice modern 1B downtown unfurnished and not on a short term lease. You might be able to get a decent deal at the Archstone Harborview on a short term, although it won't be furnished. If you can find $1500 somewhere, I'd take it.

PB would be much cheaper. So would OB.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:52 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,820 times
You can find a decent unfurnished place for anywhere from $1200 to $1500 if you look around. Furnished? I have no idea.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:39 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,340,415 times
It could be more. The 1br plus den we moved out off was being rented furnished or unfurnished for $2000. Modern place (but not luxury) with parking and great amenities. The ball park prices you were given are accurate.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:01 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,351,731 times
Which amenities do you have to have, would like to have or can take or leave? I find in the downtown area, amenities or lack thereof are the biggest differences in apt complexes.

What I found in the downtown area (92101 zip code) is modern doesn't always come into play, if by modern you mean sleek look appliances, h/w floor, w/d in-unit, a/c, microwave, d/w, terrace & bldg amenities like pool, free WiFi or resident center. Many of the bldgs are older with fewer amenities in your price range (moving towards the suburbs brings more of those into play unless you wish to increase your monthly rent downtown) & although some bldgs may be well maintained, they're not ever updated, just basically painted over & carpeting steam cleaned, because one is paying for location & walkability. I live downtown so only know this general area, so surrounding areas may differ from my experience.

For example, there are many live/work lofts around the Gaslamp area, 6 of which I'm aware on Market St in-between 3rd & 7th. I found a few lofts I really liked... lots of space, new commercial-style stove/oven, floor to ceiling noise-proof windows, lots of light... but they didn't include d/w or w/d, or any bldg amenities such as rooftop deck, balcony, elevator to the 2nd floor, or parking which would have been an additional $150/mo expense for nearby garage space rental.

My flat is $1300 in an older but well-maintained bldg, but it's a large studio, so I wouldn't have taken it if this weren't a temporary stay & 6-mo leases were allowed without rental increase. But, I've got parking, balcony, rooftop access, lovely views & since gas is included in rent, my total cost for utilities is a whopping $35/mo for electric. No in-unit w/d & it's a basic beige/white flat which is certainly no frills, but has been great for the 6-mos I've been here & when temporary, it's easier to compromise.

Since you'll only remain for the winter, maybe do what I did which is choose what you must have, downsize to a studio & you can certainly find decent & workable for $1500 or even less. Also, consider taking over a least via realtor.com or a reputable rental site (not CL). I just met a young girl who is in an upscale bldg, fully furnished, all amenities (it's one of the highrises in-between downtown & Little Italy which overlooks the ocean) & she's paying $1200 for a 6-mo legal sublet... an extraordinary find, but she found it on realtor.com. The owner is selling & just wanted to have a responsible person pay a portion of the mortgage/condo fees whilst he's working in another state.

Best of luck! Hope you enjoy SD!

Old 10-16-2012, 07:55 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,340,415 times
When I was talking about amenities: pool, fire pit, gym, Viking grill, jacuzzi, garage parking.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:50 PM

8 posts, read 25,004 times
I really don't care about amenities, I don't think I'd ever even use most to be honest. I'd also be ok with a studio, was just throwing out there that had a friend tell me I could get a one bedroom for that price.

In regards to the lofts, did they come furnished? I'm looking for something max 3 months. I haven't come across too much stuff on CL and I know vacation rental sites are going to be more expensive. I checked realtor.com but most of the stuff I found is at least 6 month term and unfurnished.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:51 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,351,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csdr99 View Post
In regards to the lofts, did they come furnished? I'm looking for something max 3 months.
Sorry, I didn't see that you were originally asking for furnished, just short term. No idea if furnished, but I have found that some places will go shorter term if asked. I asked for a 6-mo lease & got it, same price as 12. It may not be advertised. I saw a few of the live/work lofts & the ones I saw were $1550-1700 for very large studios. For info's sake, here are a few lofts, just to give you location:

Trilogy Real Estate Management - Downtown San Diego Live/Work Lofts

Frey Lofts has ones lower than your price range with utilities included. Nice downtown neighborhood, never saw them inside. The below ad also says 'Ikea kitchen', so I don't know if one can assume it's semi/furnished?

$995 Gaslamp Frey Block Historic Studio San Diego Apartments for rent - Renting Time

I do know about some furnished rentals, but as a girl, I steered clear. They are loaded with sex offenders, I found out after checking the CA database. Some are furnished rooms, some are studios. Have no idea what they look like inside. The downtown location & bldgs are very nice. If you want to check into them on your own:

Affordable Housing Rental in Downtown/Gaslamp San Diego

Also, I have no idea how hostels work, meaning length of time one could stay or what they're like, but there are a handful of those in this area, as well. Doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for, but thought I'd throw it in since you'll only be here 3-mos.

Sorry, I can't be more helpful with furnished flats. Next time I see my bldg mngr, I'll ask her as she's lived in the area for decades. In the meantime, perhaps some of the longer term locals can assist. Have you considered searching for a SD no-fee realtor?

Good luck.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:54 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
The length of time to stay in a hostel is two weeks. When I used to travel, I stayed in a hostel as much as possible since they're cheap.

The Frey Block Historic Studio may be the Dustin Arms Hotel, which is an SRO.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:40 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
The Frey Block Historic Studio may be the Dustin Arms Hotel, which is an SRO.
If it's the Frey Block that's right next to me, it's not. Those are legitimate apartments. You will get the smell of curry all the time because there is an Indian restaurant right next to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego