Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 01:47 PM

99 posts, read 265,156 times

Advertisements

Wow, traveling by Company Truck is very glamorous. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 04:03 PM

354 posts, read 388,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Thanks for sharing. Hmm... I would NOT find driving around in a truck appealing. Different strokes for different folks. Will they at least tell you where you will live BEFORE you formally accept the position?

I'm not sure I agree with your argument that it's easy to get a decent job here in San Diego that pays well for a new mechanical engineer. Because if it were that easy it seems to me you probably would have taken one vs. driving around in a company truck over 4-5 states.

As I mentioned, I've spoken to a few that have been looking for over a year. But to be fair I have NO clue as to these people's background. And I don't know these people personally. Just came across one of them as he was driving airport transfers until he finds a real job.

I really appreciate you taking the time to at least post about your experience. So many people come on these boards (or others) and ask questions and you never hear anything again from them. Many didn't even bother moving to SD or couldn't find a job here. Some moved here and quickly move out.

So it's helpful to read about your experiences/journey. Good luck with all that you do.

thanks!

and I still stick with what I said- the reason I'm taking this job is because the company i'll be working for is my dream company to be honest, and the pay is significantly higher than the normal starting salaries, due to the traveling. It's not going to be all driving around, but I'm going to have to drive to get to the customers to be able to do my job. For me, this is a huge stepping stone I was very blessed to have.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joryjim View Post
Wow, traveling by Company Truck is very glamorous. LOL

lol sitting behind a computer for 8 hrs a day isn't fun for me, so I'll take my own company truck any day!

Old 03-18-2013, 04:58 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,984,744 times
Sounds like you've got a decision to make. Do you defer living where you want in order to get in with the company you really want to work for, or do you say I'll keep looking.

Cool they gave you a week to decide. That says something about you and them right there.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:48 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,412,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divagotstyle07 View Post
thanks!

and I still stick with what I said- the reason I'm taking this job is because the company i'll be working for is my dream company to be honest, and the pay is significantly higher than the normal starting salaries, due to the traveling. It's not going to be all driving around, but I'm going to have to drive to get to the customers to be able to do my job. For me, this is a huge stepping stone I was very blessed to have.

Sure, you don't have to justify to anyone about the decision you are making. Those that read my posts know that I would recommend any day of the week to start your career off on the right path, have a higher salary and live in a city with a strong economy and job market and a lower cost of living.

If you found your "dream company" to work for there is something to be said for that.

I did just have one question if you'd be so kind to answer it? Are you working in anything having to do with your mechanical engineering degree? Typically driving around in a territory has to do with sales/marketing type jobs. Will you be able to utilize your engineering degree?

Congrats on finding your maybe "dream job".

Old 03-19-2013, 12:09 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,795,514 times
The company is a San Diego based company so she will likely be able to transfer to San Diego after she gets eatablished with the company.

I certainly never had any trouble getting an engineering job in San Diego. I worked for 5 different companies in San Diego.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:16 AM

16 posts, read 27,819 times
I'm just replying to get copied on the responses, i just read this thread and im interested to see how it pans out... it sounded to me like down the line OP was hoping to move into sales, and her personality seems like it would be an excellent fit, so even if this if job is more sales related i think it will definitely pan out.. plus she can really network and see other areas of a region before settline. BEST OF LUCK... i too am considering a move to CA, possibly Long Beach and am still in the VERY beginning phases.. like you i would love to get out of the midwest, except im in Detroit.. the city everyone else gets nervous about being compared to.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristina48174 View Post
I'm just replying to get copied on the responses, i just read this thread and im interested to see how it pans out... it sounded to me like down the line OP was hoping to move into sales, and her personality seems like it would be an excellent fit, so even if this if job is more sales related i think it will definitely pan out.. plus she can really network and see other areas of a region before settline. BEST OF LUCK... i too am considering a move to CA, possibly Long Beach and am still in the VERY beginning phases.. like you i would love to get out of the midwest, except im in Detroit.. the city everyone else gets nervous about being compared to.
Haha hi!!

I had a boyfriend that lived in flint, so i know how terrible Detroit is. Youngstown is very similar so im sure you can relate. Get outta there asap and enjoy the sunshine!!

Old 03-19-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Sure, you don't have to justify to anyone about the decision you are making. Those that read my posts know that I would recommend any day of the week to start your career off on the right path, have a higher salary and live in a city with a strong economy and job market and a lower cost of living.

If you found your "dream company" to work for there is something to be said for that.

I did just have one question if you'd be so kind to answer it? Are you working in anything having to do with your mechanical engineering degree? Typically driving around in a territory has to do with sales/marketing type jobs. Will you be able to utilize your engineering degree?

Congrats on finding your maybe "dream job".
Thanks! And yes, the job involves my degree. It's for an engineering company and gets a lot of hands on training. I made it very clear to all the companies/recruiters Ive been working with that i hate sitting at a desk and am not interested in designing products either. So this job turned out to be perfect in that aspect, and no its not in sales, although that is an avenue I wanted to possibly pursue. With this company, I made it clear my overall goal was to get into management or sales, interfacing w the customer. So when i move back to SD, I will be most likely looking for a place in the company doing that, if I want to get out of the field. It's impossible to plan at this point, since I may end up loving where I'm placed and want to continue there. They have international offices as well, so I might look into that. I am pretty religious and have been praying that I would be guided into something that would bring me happiness, regardless of what i currently thought would make me happy.

So, I am taking this as an opportunity to travel while I'm young, and open my eyes and ears to the possibilities out there to find a place I enjoy. The ultimate goal now is to end up back in SD. But, if I love Texas, I might stay there! It's not black and white for me anymore at this point.

And BTW ill be spending the summer in SD to enjoy myself and take it easy w a part time job.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
The company is a San Diego based company so she will likely be able to transfer to San Diego after she gets eatablished with the company.

I certainly never had any trouble getting an engineering job in San Diego. I worked for 5 different companies in San Diego.
You and I are always on the same page. Maybe the ones that say its so hard to find a job aren't well spoken and just too awkward or not qualified. Jobs are plentiful, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego