Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 10:50 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times

Advertisements

That's great Diva! The position sounds like its a great fit then. Also absolutely I wasn't implying that mechanical engineers can't find jobs in SD out of college. Only that the positions are limited compared to other major metro cities.

I'm rooting for you in this position. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 12:57 PM

128 posts, read 179,553 times
Sounds great - I think traveling in a company truck compared to being in a cube all day is a cool gig. If sales is a direction you want to go then my guess is your personality is suited for some road travel. If you choose Irvine, you could live in a coastal city near the beach and then you'd pretty much be close to the lifestyle you were aiming for.

Good luck and seize the day!

I wouldn't dismiss the advice you've been given - it is sound. But I also think that people thrive off of different levels of risk. I'm like you - risk and taking chances motivates me and pushes me harder.

People told me starting a business was too risky and now they want to follow what I'm doing.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divagotstyle07 View Post
You and I are always on the same page. Maybe the ones that say its so hard to find a job aren't well spoken and just too awkward or not qualified. Jobs are plentiful, in my opinion.

I missed this post before. This post doesn't come across well, IMHO. People are giving you sound and objective advice and your post comes across poorly considering your point of kind of saying that San Diego is full of all these wonderful, high paying jobs that you could have gotten in the hopes of someday moving to San Diego. LOL.

I mean the reality is that if San Diego were full of all these wonderful opportunities, you'd probably just be moving here directly.

To try to spin things any other way just comes off as silly, IMHO. To try to paint people giving you objective and sound advice as "not well spoken, awkward or not qualified" is kind of comical.

Again, I DO wish you the best of luck but posting comments like this above aren't going to score too many points with most sound people on this board.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:01 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
I missed this post before. This post doesn't come across well, IMHO. People are giving you sound and objective advice and your post comes across poorly considering your point of kind of saying that San Diego is full of all these wonderful, high paying jobs that you could have gotten in the hopes of someday moving to San Diego. LOL.

I mean the reality is that if San Diego were full of all these wonderful opportunities, you'd probably just be moving here directly.

To try to spin things any other way just comes off as silly, IMHO. To try to paint people giving you objective and sound advice as "not well spoken, awkward or not qualified" is kind of comical.

Again, I DO wish you the best of luck but posting comments like this above aren't going to score too many points with most sound people on this board.
She did get the job so what's your point. The company is a San Diego Company. They offered her a job that fits what she really likes to do and pays well. Many times I have been offered jobs that were not what I was originally applying for but they opened up a door that was better. As I said, I am sure she will be able to transfer to San Diego with the company at a later date if she still wants to.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
She did get the job so what's your point. The company is a San Diego Company. They offered her a job that fits what she really likes to do and pays well. Many times I have been offered jobs that were not what I was originally applying for but they opened up a door that was better. As I said, I am sure she will be able to transfer to San Diego with the company at a later date if she still wants to.

My point is that she sounded like she REALLY wanted to live in San Diego. So it doesn't really matter if it's a "San Diego company" if she won't be living in San Diego. Get my point? Heck, by what she posted she might not even end up in California for the next 3 years. And even then it doesn't sound like it's guaranteed.

Sure, I do understand that taking jobs that are based in other areas is better. And that's what I've consistently said throughout the thread. In fact, I argued that was probably the best scenario.

Saying a company is "a San Diego company" and then going to work in Houston wouldn't mean much now would it? LOL. By her own words she would be "super lucky to end up in Irvine".

Read my posts. I always contended that jobs based out of San Diego for people starting out were most likely going to be stronger, higher paying, the right move for most new graduates. My point is this.... Is the OP going to live in San Diego in the next 6 months as her topic stated or not?

Exactly. It sounds like she is doing the smart and wise thing. JohnSoCal, I do agree with what you wrote that sometimes taking another job outside of what you originally applied for is wise. But just look at the topic of the posts and all the comments in it. I think the important take away out of this is the OP really came to the conclusion that the best and ideal job is OUTSIDE of being based out of San Diego. Because odds are if it was based in San Diego the position would probably be flooded with people wanting it. And again, there no no guarantee that the OP would get transferred here in 3 years. There are no guarantees in these types of situations typically.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:24 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
Quote:
My point is that she sounded like she REALLY wanted to live in San Diego. So it doesn't really matter if it's a "San Diego company" if she won't be living in San Diego. Get my point? Heck, by what she posted she might not even end up in California for the next 3 years. And even then it doesn't sound like it's guaranteed.

Sure, I do understand that taking jobs that are based in other areas is better. And that's what I've consistently said throughout the thread. In fact, I argued that was probably the best scenario.

Saying a company is "a San Diego company" and then going to work in Houston wouldn't mean much now would it? LOL. By her own words she would be "super lucky to end up in Irvine".

Read my posts. I always contended that jobs based out of San Diego for people starting out were most likely going to be stronger, higher paying, the right move for most new graduates. My point is this.... Is the OP going to live in San Diego in the next 6 months as her topic stated or not?

Exactly. It sounds like she is doing the smart and wise thing. JohnSoCal, I do agree with what you wrote that sometimes taking another job outside of what you originally applied for is wise. But just look at the topic of the posts and all the comments in it. I think the important take away out of this is the OP really came to the conclusion that the best and ideal job is OUTSIDE of being based out of San Diego. Because odds are if it was based in San Diego the position would probably be flooded with people wanting it. And again, there no no guarantee that the OP would get transferred here in 3 years. There are no guarantees in these types of situations typically.
I happen to know a liitle bit more about this than you do having communicated with her privately. Your assumptions are not correct in this case. Actually salaries for engineers aren't that bad in San Diego. They are lower than the San Francisco Bay area but are on a par with most areas and higher than some and lower than some. When I moved from SE Florida to San Diego i got paid 20% more in San Diego. I have many friends at Qualcomm that are engineers making well above $100,000. Check the following link for comparing engineering salaries in different cities. San Diego is lower than Boston but higher than Irvine, Seattle and Philadelphia. The COL is slightly higher in Seattle. The only place where there is a big difference is San Jose where the average engineer make 33% more.

Engineer Salary in San Diego, CA, and Seattle, WA | Indeed.com

Last edited by JohnSoCal; 03-20-2013 at 11:33 PM..

Old 03-21-2013, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I happen to know a liitle bit more about this than you do having communicated with her privately. Your assumptions are not correct in this case. Actually salaries for engineers aren't that bad in San Diego. They are lower than the San Francisco Bay area but are on a par with most areas and higher than some and lower than some. When I moved from SE Florida to San Diego i got paid 20% more in San Diego. I have many friends at Qualcomm that are engineers making well above $100,000. Check the following link for comparing engineering salaries in different cities. San Diego is lower than Boston but higher than Irvine, Seattle and Philadelphia. The COL is slightly higher in Seattle. The only place where there is a big difference is San Jose where the average engineer make 33% more.

Engineer Salary in San Diego, CA, and Seattle, WA | Indeed.com

Sure. You probably do. I'm only going by what she wrote publicly on this thread. I'm no engineer but I met a few that just started out and they don't all seem that thrilled with their salaries in SD. I guess much probably depends on what type of engineer you are.

Again, I say it's great that the OP decided to take a high paying position that is based OUTSIDE of San Diego and it sounds like she will enjoy it. The fact still remains that the position she wanted and was able to get and that paid more was OUTSIDE of San Diego. And I think that type of thing is very common across a broad spectrum of job fields. Would you disagree with that statement?

Contrary to whatever surveys are out there.... San Diego is kind of a funky job market for being such a major metro area. I think you'd probably agree with that. Just look at all the posts out there on these public boards and all the people that are interested in moving to San Diego (especially out of college). Then look and see what course of action they took or if they ultimately ended up out in San Diego. Most times they don't. So that is all I'm saying. And even in this case, the OP didn't end up in SD which is an important take away for others reading this post and thinking about moving to the area.

Read the entire thread and you will see that the people that gave the OP advice were pretty much spot on target and much to the credit of the OP, she sounds like she is doing the right thing. So a happy ending.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:15 PM

354 posts, read 385,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounty80 View Post
Sounds great - I think traveling in a company truck compared to being in a cube all day is a cool gig. If sales is a direction you want to go then my guess is your personality is suited for some road travel. If you choose Irvine, you could live in a coastal city near the beach and then you'd pretty much be close to the lifestyle you were aiming for.

Good luck and seize the day!

I wouldn't dismiss the advice you've been given - it is sound. But I also think that people thrive off of different levels of risk. I'm like you - risk and taking chances motivates me and pushes me harder.

People told me starting a business was too risky and now they want to follow what I'm doing.

definitely agree with what you say about taking chances to motivate you!! you hit the nail on the head right there!

and I don't dismiss the advice I've been given AT ALL, I just take all that into consideration and make my choices based on what I feel is right.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:

I didn't say the people giving advice were not well spoken, awkward, or not qualified... most of the people actively giving advice on this forum "heard it from a friend of a friend" or some guy they were sitting next to in the airport. I'm talking about THOSE people-- who you don't know personally, and in all likelihood- have a lot of issues that can't be seen in one conversation as to why they can't find a job. I'm thankful for the advice I've been given, but I still kind of disagree. If people go to a recruiter they would see the possibilities out there, and yes I do believe some luck is involved, but more like people need to really go after their dreams! For something to start, I think it's very possible to find a job in SD in the tech/engineering field.

I make my posts so that the ones reading this who are in my position will be encouraged, and won't just give up when someone says it might be too hard-- I'm showing that it is possible. but, then again if someone would give up just from what someone on a forum would say...maybe they're not cut out for the SD job market anyway!

Old 03-21-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Sure. You probably do. I'm only going by what she wrote publicly on this thread. I'm no engineer but I met a few that just started out and they don't all seem that thrilled with their salaries in SD. I guess much probably depends on what type of engineer you are.

Again, I say it's great that the OP decided to take a high paying position that is based OUTSIDE of San Diego and it sounds like she will enjoy it. The fact still remains that the position she wanted and was able to get and that paid more was OUTSIDE of San Diego. And I think that type of thing is very common across a broad spectrum of job fields. Would you disagree with that statement?

Contrary to whatever surveys are out there.... San Diego is kind of a funky job market for being such a major metro area. I think you'd probably agree with that. Just look at all the posts out there on these public boards and all the people that are interested in moving to San Diego (especially out of college). Then look and see what course of action they took or if they ultimately ended up out in San Diego. Most times they don't. So that is all I'm saying. And even in this case, the OP didn't end up in SD which is an important take away for others reading this post and thinking about moving to the area.

Read the entire thread and you will see that the people that gave the OP advice were pretty much spot on target and much to the credit of the OP, she sounds like she is doing the right thing. So a happy ending.

I think this is a case of someone wanting to hear "you were right" haha ;-)

but anyway, I will be in SD for 9 months, and I'll be in Texas for 6. The question was do I want to make $20k more than I would in Ohio, Chicago, New York, San Diego, etc and take this job with amazing benefits, bonuses, amazing reputation, paid meals/truck/hotels/living expenses/relocation expenses, or do I want to make a normal pay range and not have all those add ons? So yes, as you and others said, sometimes you just have to pay your dues to afford a house in SD near the beach. I'll be working for 3 years and on the beach by 27, without struggling paying for rent, etc.

like you said, all in all a happy ending-- but I prefer to look at it as beginning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego