Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 01:48 AM

16 posts, read 21,295 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone there..
I am 25 male from Pakistan coming San diego ca to do my Masters in computer science. Just want to know about this beautiful city lit bit. How are the people there? They will accept me in their society because i am from Pakistan? I will be able to make friends there? Please be honest. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 06:04 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,911,625 times
It all really depends on you and your attitude. Just remember the old saying "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" and you should be fine. Best of luck.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:30 AM

20,836 posts, read 17,115,957 times
You will be just fine. La Jolla is where the computer peeps are located. Pricey but San Diego is uber $$. Just be yourself.

People are people everywhere in the whole wide world with a few exceptions to that rule. A smile goes a long way.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:31 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,569,606 times
San Diego is a real mixing pot and, as such, I believe it is a pretty tolerant city. Near where I live there is a lake that people walk around, and there are all types of languages being spoken by the walkers. For example, San Diego has the second largest Chaldean population in the United States. Certainly there is a Pakistani presence in the county as well. I think you'll be able to find people in your school department who will give you opportunities to meet people, but there are lots of clubs and organizations in San Diego that you can join to make those connections as well. Hope you enjoy your time here!

Old 02-09-2014, 12:32 PM

788 posts, read 1,877,947 times
Americans often regionalize the world, so being Pakistani will put you in the general Middle East/South Asia category. (Pakistan is technically South Asia, but I think many Americans group it with the Middle East due to a large muslim population)

San Diegans & Californians are pretty tolerant to foreigners and I don't believe being Pakistani will be a big concern to most people. On the other hand, I feel like many people would be interested to engage with you (classmates & colleagues) because Pakistan pops up in American news every so often, yet most people don't know a Pakistani first hand. I personally would be interested in hearing about your world views, upbringing, etc.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:20 PM

Thanks to all of you for taking out your precious time to reply me. Very glad to read your replies
I am an out going person and love to go clubs,beaches etc. I like american peoples,culture,music. And yes i want to mix in americans.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:05 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,360,974 times
Pakistani here, visited SD this past summer and fell in love with the place. All the hype regarding the beautiful beaches, scenery and the friendly attitude of the people was fully justified.

You will be fine. To my knowledge, San Diego does not have a very large Pakistani population, but there is still a decent number of us in and around San Diego County. Indians are definitely noticeable in most places you go. Nearby Orange County and LA have a sizeable, thriving and very active Pakistani community.

Not sure which university you are going to, but UC San Diego appears to have a PSA (Pakistani Students Association):

Student Org Registration

Old 02-10-2014, 02:55 AM

Thanks PK12.... I am going to do my masters in National university of California.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:56 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,128,576 times
You'll be fine. As already said be yourself.

OH! And, when you invite your new friends over for a meal, tone the spice way down from what you're accustomed to. And, yep, i do speak from experience. LOL.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:06 AM

Skelaki thanks to take interest in my thread. And i'll take care about the spice in america.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego