Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 AM

3 posts, read 8,520 times

Advertisements

Hey so I just got approved for 240k for a house and we are looking in the San Diego area all the zip codes that start with 921.

I honestly do not know which are the bad areas. The only areas I know that are bad is barrio logan and mountain view, and shelltown.

I am trying to find a 3 bedroom house/condo/townhome and I know I can't afford a house in a good area but I am trying to pick from the best with what I can afford. I honestly do not have any clue what areas are better

I searched what I was looking for and here's the link so you can get an idea of what areas I can afford
if you guys can make a list of the best area to the worst, so I can have something to work with
its not too many areas so its not too much work.

these are most of the areas,
encanto, paradise hills, bay terrace, otay mesa, city heights, 92114, 92113, linda vista ect if you guys can check it out and let me know

heres the link

redfin.com/homes-for-sale#!hoa=300&market=socal&max_price=250000&num_be ds=3&region_id=16904&region_type=6&sf=1,2,3,4&uipt =4,3,2,1&v=8

I would really appreciate your help you would really be helping out someone that is completely lost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 11:14 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Looks like you redfinned it based on price alone and then broke out from that point which makes a lot of sense, but can leave a lot to be desired as it relates to the little nuances in each neighborhood.

All of the areas you mentioned can be quite different from one another eg more city suburb vs isolated suburb. Is there a commute you need to be concerned about? Schools? Ultimately you will need to be more specific on what your 3 or 4 highlights are outside of having a roof over your head to get some more concrete replies.

Also, are you here in San Diego at the moment, are working with an agent or have even driven through any of these neighborhoods?

Is there any specific reason why it must be in SD City zip codes vs bordering zip codes?

Old 01-08-2013, 08:30 PM

Hi well the reason why it has to be a san diego zip code is because of a first time home buyer porgram,
I have 1 daughter at age 1 so schools are an issue, it does not have to be a great school I just do not want a school where there will gang problems (that is probably my main concern)

I have not driven trough any of these neighborhoods except the area code of 92154
I have lived in this area code my whole life so I am pretty familiar with all the different areas in this zip code and I do not mind living in this zip code and that was why this is my first choice since I am familiar with it but I still want to keep my options open to other zip codes and areas but I do not know any of these areas.

I currently work in Carlsbad and have been driving up there for 2 years so my commute can't get worser than I already have it :/ I do not mid it though, but I would rather live a bit more up north but its not big factor for me

hope this clarifies a bit more

Old 01-08-2013, 08:34 PM

probably my main concern is that I do not want to live in a gang area/ drug problem area
I do not care about living in the "ghetto" reffering as to lower economic working class area
I know I dont have the cash for the best areas, so I am trying to work with the best with what I can afford

Old 01-08-2013, 08:49 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
92114 is Encanto, 92113 is Logan Heights/Barrio Logan. I don't know if you'll be able to find a 3br house for $240K, though.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,803 times
Hi Jerry61909, Search in areas 92126, 92124, 92121, 92108,92129, 92104. These areas are decent and in close proximity to Carlsbad. Also search in Chula Vista 91914, 91915. Check this one out: MLS 130001183.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:25 PM

5 posts, read 4,863 times
I agree with thmilligan

Old 01-09-2013, 04:02 AM

788 posts, read 1,877,254 times
too bad it has to be in san diego. You could probably find something like that in a half decent neighborhood in Vista. AND Vista has good magnet schools, giving you more choice.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:52 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
jerry,

I see. I agree with some of the other posters regarding further north, but it can get much pricier up there than closer to South Bay in many instances, especially for a 3 bedroom house.

The City of SD help that you are getting. Is this a grant for the closing costs or some kind of down payment assistance?
I have a colleague that just went through this and bought a home off of Palm Ave on the border of Chula Vista but in the City of SD. He tried using one of these programs and it turned out to be more of a nightmare than a help. So, please use caution and my advice is to work with a lender and agent that has some experience with these types of loans. He had to jump through hoops and ultimatley pass on them because there are so many restrictions. This is not something I would advise doing should you already be in contract to buy a house. This is definitely something you want to find before having an offer accepted.

With that being said, based as far as the house goes. You will be limited, especially with the 3 bedrooms as mentioned. There is generally more inventory that may be closer to your budget in Southeast SD, but IMHO, really is on a street by street basis.
I live in Lemon Grove, so we our south side is closer to Encanto. The areas along Imperial Ave can be really hit or miss. I would recommend looking closer to Valencia Park north of Paradise Valley Road and even Paradise Hills.
Townhomes and Condos might have some restrictions as far as the type of loan you are going to be using in addition to an Govt assistance programs you might be using. So again, this is where it can save you a lot of time in finding the right people to work with that have some experience.

Good luck

Old 01-11-2013, 12:27 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,133 times
I'm looking around for a place, but the price I'm willing to pay for a one bedroom is the price that the original poster wants for a three bedroom.

It's important to be realistic. I can't think of any area that I'd want to live in -- and I'm a single male who can take care of himself if he needs to -- where $250K would get a three bedroom.

I'm looking at a two bedroom in Midtown for $210K but that's not what the original poster is looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego