Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 10:43 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,991,334 times

Advertisements

About time they got rid of these things. Filner made a good point regarding the one that used to be on Grape St. When tourist come here, that's usually the first major intersection they cross - and to get slapped with a $500 fine. That's not what San Diego is about!

Mayor Filner, SDPD End Red Light Camera Program | NBC 7 San Diego
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 10:48 PM

27 posts, read 61,479 times
I heard they cause accidents because people slam on the breaks on yellow lights. The people behind them thinking they are going to cross are caught by surprise when the driver in front all of a sudden breaks.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:55 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,991,334 times
That is true. I've almost rear ended someone because of this. I've also gotten a ticket from one of these cameras and it was more than a car payment. They often went off for no reason as well (i.e. making a right turn on a red light).

Old 02-01-2013, 11:01 PM

384 posts, read 981,100 times
And their bread and butter is right hand turns, not people blowing straight through intersections. My husband got a red light camera ticket because he was turning right and the light had just turned red (it had been red for, I think, half a second). In the video you could see that it was clear. So he shouldn't have tried to make it through the yellow without stopping, but it cost us $500 for such a small error! And after reading a lot, I learned that most of these tickets go to people who roll through right hand turns, not dangerous intersection crossing. They make a lot of money for cities.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:45 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,176,636 times
My God, a politician who does something right. How rare.

Go Bob!

Mike

Old 02-02-2013, 08:47 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,636 times
Good.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:55 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,386,046 times
Man I hate those cameras. I always get nervous when the light flashes and it takes a picture. Even when I don't do anything wrong I'm always worried about getting a ticket. I hate these things and glad they are getting rid of them.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:01 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,820 times
If they're triggering when someone makes a right turn on red, that's ridiculous.

I'm agnostic on red light cameras, but if you're going to have them, then calibrate them right.

Of course, the companies that operate them under contract don't want to do that. They more people they get, the more money they make. And the city throws its hands up in the air and says, well, we've told them to calibrate them and they say they're fixing them.

And the city kind of does that song and dance while taking in the money.

Everyone wins, except the guy who turned right on red and got a ticket for it.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:07 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,932,535 times
Oh, that makes me happy. I set off the camera at the intersection of Washington & Cleveland a few months ago by stopping probably about 2 feet over the line making a right turn. Fortunately, I never was sent a ticket (I stopped fully, didn't roll through) but it made me quite paranoid to check the mail for a little while!

Old 02-02-2013, 12:39 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,386,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Oh, that makes me happy. I set off the camera at the intersection of Washington & Cleveland a few months ago by stopping probably about 2 feet over the line making a right turn. Fortunately, I never was sent a ticket (I stopped fully, didn't roll through) but it made me quite paranoid to check the mail for a little while!
That SAME thing happened to me in San Francisco. I did get a ticket but I fought it explaining the situation and got off ok but still it's a hassle having to worry about. Like you said...that paranoia feeling isn't good and getting the ticket is especially a hassle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego