Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 06:18 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times

Advertisements

Thanks for taking the time to post that follow up post MovingAloha. I was always curious how well other schools in SDUSD did with these types of things. It's GREAT to hear that they also do well and parents and "friends" are financially supporting them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 09:24 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Thanks for taking the time to post that follow up post MovingAloha. I was always curious how well other schools in SDUSD did with these types of things. It's GREAT to hear that they also do well and parents and "friends" are financially supporting them.
My neices attended Adams Avenue Elementary. There were exactly two kids in that school who weren't getting free lunches. I doubt any sort of fundraiser is going to be successful for a school with that demographic. And yet these kids are as entitled as any to an education.

SDUSD is broken. As are many school districts, I would guess, due to economic reasons and skinflint, short-sighted "conservatives" who won't allot enough funding for decent education.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:58 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
The inner city schools don't have any type of fundraisers, because the parents are all trying to make a living. But when you get out of the inner city, that's an entire different story........

Old 02-22-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
My neices attended Adams Avenue Elementary. There were exactly two kids in that school who weren't getting free lunches. I doubt any sort of fundraiser is going to be successful for a school with that demographic. And yet these kids are as entitled as any to an education.

SDUSD is broken. As are many school districts, I would guess, due to economic reasons and skinflint, short-sighted "conservatives" who won't allot enough funding for decent education.

Oddstray, that's why I was so curious. I know the demographics are completely different vs. other school districts in more affluent areas like Poway Unified.

I wonder if there is a breakdown somewhere on the exact amount brought in from each school in SDUSD.

For example, my daughter's elementary school breaks down the funds brought in and what they plan to do with the funds.

http://www.willowgrovefoundation.org...3%20Budget.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
The inner city schools don't have any type of fundraisers, because the parents are all trying to make a living. But when you get out of the inner city, that's an entire different story........

Exactly moved. That is what I thought. But I didn't know if any alumni of these schools was donating. Besides the money probably these parents of SDUSD don't have as much time to donate their time. Parents at PUSD seem to be very involved and donate their time not just money.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:14 AM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post

See below
Quote:
Not necessarily. The Clairemont, Serra and Linda Vista schools have a huge amount of kids bused in from the "inner City" vs any kids that live right down the street. That is the reason most don't attend any fund raisers. Their parents can't legally drive and/or don't own cars. As told to me by multiple Teachers, that's also the reason they never attend Parent/Teacher conferences and just about any other event that would require transportation.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:43 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
Budget wise, how does the SDUSD money get split up between the top end and bottom end of the funding scale? Is the money socialized within the district and only the kids are moved or the other way around?

eg. 92037 money staying local v 92113 money

Old 02-22-2013, 10:58 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
I worked all over SDUSD for 3 1/2 years, and currently live down street from Edison Elementary and Wilson Middle School.

Within the city, there are few or no fund raisers. But when you get into Miramar, Scripps Ranch, Mira Mesa, and other areas outside the inner city they do them. I also worked at Hancock and Miller Elementary schools which are primarily military students, and the parents would do fund raisers by selling items, i.e., bake sales and the like. But when I spent four months at Hamilton Elementary which is off Fairmount Avenue, there were none.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:30 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
I was talking to my wife last night about this subject.For as long as i can remember SDUSD has always been broke or short on cash.I can remember back when i was in elementary in 1982 SDUSD canceled 6th grade camp because of budget woes.So i never got attend 6th grade camp.
Fast forward to my middle and youngest.Both attended SDUSD schools and Both had to pay for 6th grade camp.
My oldest attended San Dieguito Union School District,and never paid for 6th grade camp.
I can remember SDUSD had huge teachers union strike in the late 70's that lasted for months.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I was talking to my wife last night about this subject.For as long as i can remember SDUSD has always been broke or short on cash.I can remember back when i was in elementary in 1982 SDUSD canceled 6th grade camp because of budget woes.So i never got attend 6th grade camp.
Fast forward to my middle and youngest.Both attended SDUSD schools and Both had to pay for 6th grade camp.
My oldest attended San Dieguito Union School District,and never paid for 6th grade camp.
I can remember SDUSD had huge teachers union strike in the late 70's that lasted for months.

Interesting hitman. Yes, San Dieguito Union has an EXCELLENT reputation.

For field trips and class trips for our daughter, they always "suggest" a donation amount for the field trip but stress that it's not mandatory. But I believe that almost all the parents end up contributing. Or when they have things in class or t-shirts or something they do the same thing. It seems like they always "suggest" a price that would cover that activity but again I think most parents do just write a check for it.

Also, as mentioned in other threads.... in PUSD parents are often donating things used in the classroom. All it takes is an email to the parents. I'm not so sure that is the case in SDUSD schools..

Old 02-22-2013, 07:21 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
Quote:
I worked all over SDUSD for 3 1/2 years, and currently live down street from Edison Elementary and Wilson Middle School.

Within the city, there are few or no fund raisers. But when you get into Miramar, Scripps Ranch, Mira Mesa, and other areas outside the inner city they do them. I also worked at Hancock and Miller Elementary schools which are primarily military students, and the parents would do fund raisers by selling items, i.e., bake sales and the like. But when I spent four months at Hamilton Elementary which is off Fairmount Avenue, there were none.
It's all about Economics.
Mira mesa,Clairemont,Scrips Ranch,Tierrasanta,Del Cerro are all somewhat affluent areas In SDUSD.
Average yearly household income in these areas are in the 100k range(I'm guessing but i know im close)
Most these people speak English and were raised in this U.S.
Now lets take an area like East San Diego.East San Diego is made up of Low Income families from other counties that are taught "America is going to take care of you and your kids"
I will also add i don't think the language barrier in these communities helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Interesting hitman. Yes, San Dieguito Union has an EXCELLENT reputation.

For field trips and class trips for our daughter, they always "suggest" a donation amount for the field trip but stress that it's not mandatory. But I believe that almost all the parents end up contributing. Or when they have things in class or t-shirts or something they do the same thing. It seems like they always "suggest" a price that would cover that activity but again I think most parents do just write a check for it.

Also, as mentioned in other threads.... in PUSD parents are often donating things used in the classroom. All it takes is an email to the parents. I'm not so sure that is the case in SDUSD schools..
Yea they do the same thing down here.I aways try to give a little extra (as to maybe help out another family)
I can afford it and it makes me feel better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego