Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 03:45 AM

200 posts, read 354,189 times

Advertisements

Hello People,

We will be looking for a rental property within an 18.5 mile round trip by road from North Island (9.25 miles one way). Can maybe stretch a mile or two.

So far we have been roughly checking out (via the web) Mission Hills, Marstan Hills, Hillcrest, Point Loma (heights/portal???) North Park, Old Town, Mission Valley, Bay Park, University Heights, Coronado. I like the idea of Ocean Beach/sunset cliffs (but i guess it is probably too far away??)

Some of these places are likely too far away.

We'd like a house or town house with a yard for kids (sml yard is ok). I don't want to live in an apartment or an area that feels like a city or has high rises too close (I know I probably sound bonkers, given the distance restrictions). Off street parking as we will have a couple cars.

A lovely family/community oriented place as we have little kids.

Just from looking at the internet, it looks like Mission Hills is best bet. Looking to spend around $3200. Can stretch it, but don't really want to. Happy to pay less.

Do you have any ideas??

What is south of Balboa Park like?

My other half will have to drive to North Island each day and will likely lose his sanity in heavy traffic.

Thanks in advance

Cheers,
Possum Magic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 04:25 AM

What do you think of going south of North Island, to Imperial beach area?

Old 03-06-2013, 08:25 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,576,569 times
Considering your budget, the neighborhoods you list, and your other requirements, my top 3 recommendations would be:
1. Mission Hills
2. Point Loma
3. Sunset Cliffs

I live in the Bay Park area. My neighbor is a SEAL with young children and he commutes to North Island everyday. He says his typical commute time is about 20-30 minutes.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:31 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
Just for proximity's sake, South Park should be on your short list as well. It is the first exit off the bridge going home; we are good friends with a Lt. Commander across the street and a Navy Seal a couple blocks away and they picked this neighborhood for the easy commute as well as its other great attributes. Very family friendly- your kids will be screaming with the rest of them at The Station having a good time- and still a little funky/hipster, walkable and community oriented. There are good schools here but they are impacted so you get put on a wait list/lottery to get in the better ones.

It is a smaller neighborhood than the others listed so inherent in that is a more limited availability of properties that tend to go quickly.

I would also add Kensington to your list, even though it is a little bit inland it is effectively in the same area you are looking for, a very quick couple of miles on 94 and then 15 will get you there. It is also a lovely neighborhood

SOUTH PARK San Diego

Last edited by T. Damon; 03-06-2013 at 10:53 AM..

Old 03-06-2013, 02:55 PM

Yeah Mission Hills is a fav of mine.

I will look into South Park.

My OH tells me we are going to have to stick to the 9.25 mile (give or take a mile) restriction. It is not the time taken to travel to work so much (well it is), but the distance living away. We will be on exchange from Australian Defence Force, so we will have different living restrictions/conditions to the US Navy people.

At this stage i will consider any area that is approx 9.25 miles from the base via road, that has houses/townhouses and a family/community oriented vibe.

Cheers to the people who have put input in so far.

Last edited by possum_magic; 03-06-2013 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: Change of tense

Old 03-06-2013, 03:02 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
I suggest Eastlake. When Moving Aloha sees your post, she can give you more advice.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:18 PM

I like Eastlake and was originally tossing up between there or Ocean Beach, but it is waaaayyy too far away. We have to be with in 9.25 miles one way from North Island. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

I don't think we get a Moving Aloha. ???

Old 03-06-2013, 05:39 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
OB and Pt Loma, as seemingly close as they might appear by "the crow flys" are a pain in the azz to get in and out of. And OB is not going to be the lovely, family oriented community you seem to describe as important to you (and I like OB).

Moving Aloha is just a member here who recently moved to San Diego after much research and settled in and enjoys living in East Lake.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:59 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Traffic going across the bridge to North Island depends on how many ships are in port. I interviewed for two jobs on the base last year, and was told that when the ships are in, it can take up to two hours to cross the bridge.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post

Moving Aloha is just a member here who recently moved to San Diego after much research and settled in and enjoys living in East Lake.
Oops, didn't read Moved's post properly, lol. I thought a Moving Aloha might have been a Navy welcome person. In Aust we get a DCO (defence community organization) person who welcomes u to the community and provides u with local info. It's a good name for a welcome party.

Thanks people . Would still love to hear other people 's opinions, especially going in south/south easterly direction from north island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego