Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2013, 05:37 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
It's not about people who slave away all day. There are a lot of people in San Diego with old money or people who aren't exactly the working 100 hours a week type. And San Diego isn't like Silicon Valley or Seattle or New York or even Los Angeles for that matter. There aren't those 'million dollar jobs' nor are there millionaires from some startup company. That doesn't exist in San Diego. The people who are working all the time aren't driving a ferrari and aren't being seen out at a whole foods in the middle of a work day.

So you might've bumped into somebody who struck it rich elsewhere and decided to move here. But I doubt they'd be nasty and rude in the 'tired at work sense.' Some 30 year old who becomes a millionaire in Palo Alto doesn't move to San Diego to work 100 hours a week. If they wanted to do that, they'd stay in Palo Alto.

Places like Del Mar and so on are more old money and not people who slave away at work for 100 hours a week. There really is no such thing as working 100 hours a week and buying a 5 million dollar home. So considering San diego isn't known for making people rich, they came from somewhere else and if they are an a-hole in San diego, they'd be an a-hole in Idaho or oregon or NJ too.

BINGO!

I totally agree. You hit the nail on the head. There are individual jerks in every city in every country in the world. But I can tell you I go to that new Whole Foods every week and everywhere there is friendly.

Also, you are so spot on target about the lack of "big money" jobs here. It's not like other cities like SF, LA, NYC, DC where you have even some younger professionals making monster money here. That for the most part isn't mainstream here.

So funny and true about the part where the type working 100 hours a week not doing it here in San Diego. I used to work 120 hours a week for years on end. But the thing is it's like you said...those types make the money somewhere else and move to San Diego to enjoy a more laid back lifestyle. If people are going to be working those kind of monster hours it's typically not in San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 04:21 AM

2 posts, read 3,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joryjim View Post
I was in Huntington Beach, San Clemente, Carlsbad, Encinitas, Solana Beach, Del Mar, La Jolla, San Diego, Chula Vista.....all the same with the exception of Chula Vista. Probably the heavy Hispanic influence but people there are a bit nicer.

Del Mar and Rancho Santa Fe were the most nasty of them all. Most people in the restaurants and stores are quite rude. Drivers have no problem with tailgating, cutting you off, speeding into parking spots ahead of you, etc.

Love California weather. Californians as a people, not so much.
Hmm judging Californians based off Del Mar and Rancho Santa Fe? Or on the greater San Diego county area in general? That's a bit closed minded, considering San Diego county accounts for about 5% of California's poplulation (a liberal estimate). Think before you bash the state of California. Don't be a victim of the self-fulfilling prophecy.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:33 PM

115 posts, read 208,744 times
I agree with think4yourself,

It seems that the problem is you..specially because your last comment, it seems you have something against wealthy people..

Quote:
Originally Posted by joryjim View Post
Visited Del Mar/Rancho Santa Fe area last week. Beautiful area, perfect climate. Saw models of Ferraris I didn't even know were made.

So with all the wealth and perfect weather, why are people so mean and nasty? Everywhere I went, I saw miserable stressed out people. At the Whole Foods in Del Mar, the shoppers have a nasty scowl on their face and a terrible disposition. WTF?

Is it the terrible traffic, high density population? The extreme gap between rich and poor? I don't get it. People need to chill out.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:07 AM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times
How bout them Chargers? You'll probably see a bunch of people with scowls today

Old 10-07-2013, 09:20 AM

7,380 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by procapital View Post
I agree with think4yourself,

It seems that the problem is you..specially because your last comment, it seems you have something against wealthy people..
Joryjim hasn't been active since April. Let's hope he found whatever he was looking for.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:04 PM

115 posts, read 208,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Joryjim hasn't been active since April. Let's hope he found whatever he was looking for.
Thanks,

I just realized that...

Old 10-09-2013, 12:00 PM

11 posts, read 19,631 times
I love San Diego and all its people!!!!

Old 09-20-2015, 07:03 PM

5 posts, read 7,694 times
Default We totally agree!

I feel bad for anyone who's trying to date in So Cal. It's like swimming in a shark-tank, you have a major cut and you're trying not to get bit. The divorce rate is over 73%! My wife and I are originally from the Midwest. We have been living in so cal for the last 5 years. We moved here because of a lucrative business opportunity and the beautiful weather. However after really getting to know the lay of the land we are home-sick and ready to move back to the Midwest. Our major challenges with living in So Cal are- 1) We make great money (mid six figures) but you end up spending most of it because it's just too damn expensive! $1 million for a normal home when the same house is 60% cheaper back home, $2500/month for a two bedroom apt! $100 per person for Disneyland tickets! California will suck all of your money out of your bank account quicker than you can say ATM! It's just financially stupid to live in So Cal unless you're a trust fund baby or you make a ton of money. 2) It's over-populated with millions of non-English speaking who can be Anti-American. The major traffic jams and suburban sprawl will eventually drive you nuts. 3) The people here are very rude and selfish. We figured out why they're like this, it's because they're all super-stressed out about money and finances! When you're constantly financially stressed out it can turn you into a raging a-hole! 4) If you're white and speak English you are a minority and you will face reverse-discrimination! No joke! We had a large group of Mexicans ask us - hey white people, what are you doing here in long beach? We felt really uncomfortable and got the hell out of downtown Long Beach 5) The air quality sucks and is dirty. It can't be too healthy when the air smells bad and a lot of people have cardiovascular diseases here. 6) There is no real sense of community since everyone is constantly moving! 7) Too much diversity is a bad thing and there is a sense of no true culture. 8) The majority of so cal people are mostly liberal left wing idiots who want to give away government and state tax money to foreigners. 9) The state government in Sacramento is very corrupt, they raise taxes to pay themselves bigger salaries/life-long pensions and the big unions support all of their puppet candidates. 10) The California propaganda machine is now pushing their fake drought agenda so they can raise the price of water and then tax the crap out of it. Bye bye Crazy Califorina. Going back to the Real America we know and love!

Old 09-20-2015, 07:19 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,046 times
^^^^good riddance! Adios amigo!

Old 09-20-2015, 07:40 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Bye-bye! Enjoy being back in the Midwest; Disneyland tickets are much cheaper there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego