Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 09:35 AM

2 posts, read 2,053 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone
I'm a 30 year old Afro- Caribbean male currently living in St.Lucia West Indies for the past 8 years but recently have been contemplating about moving to somewhere else to experience a different lifestyle etc. I work in a family owned air- conditioning business but I recently completed a catering and gourmet cooking course from Penn Foster and proudly own a diploma in that field now. Now, its always been my dream to live in California especially SD, so can someone please give me info on the following:

1. Getting a job in the catering & catering field

2. Nightlife

3. Cost of living

4. Things to do for fun

5. Dating scene

etc

Also, I'm open to other cities you guys would recommend. Thanks in advance, cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 08:03 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
WRT dating... There just aren't that many black people in San Diego (they make up ~3% of the population) so if you're looking for black women you will find the selection limited.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:27 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
According to wikipedia, 5.1% in San Diego county and 6.7% in the city of San Diego. More than 3%, but still not a very high percentage.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:40 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,751 times
Perhaps the OP is not exclusive to dating blacks only?

Old 07-26-2013, 05:47 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,161 times
I'm not sure about the catering field here. Obviously, it's a destination city with many events and conferences, and a pretty large metro area with many weddings...so the industry is here. Hopefully someone with first hand experience in that market can chime in for you...The other obvious area that comes to mind would be LA metro. With hollywood and the large entertainment industry, plus the size of the area, it's a larger market and industry. There's a constant stream of events and premiers to cater for there.

Then again, San Diego could really use a good afro caribbean restaurant! lol. seriously.
Wish I could be of more help.
As far as 'what is there to do', you should search this forum for past threads, and google it. SD is close to the border for visits to tijuana, and 2 hours or so to LA for day trips, too. It's a 5 hour drive from las vegas, and an 8 hr trip to SFO (or a short commuter flight). Sd has beaches, beaches and more great beaches. And lots of hiking in the canyons in the city, and deserts and mountains within an hour's drive. It's a spread out city, with nightlife spread out as well-from downtown/gaslamp to pacific beach to encinitas/solana beach and a few other mini areas. That is different than many large metros, where the action is often more centrally located.

Also, though SD does not have a large black population, it's a very live and let live place, and this has been discussed MANY times in threads on this forum, so search the topic! Interracial dating is not given a second glance,a nd it's a pretty laid back place overall.

SD is probably a nice pace/lifestyle for you, given that you are coming from the caribbean; you want a change and a larger metro region, but maybe not such a shock out the gate. [I'm guessing?]

Cost of living: Check craigs list dot org for an idea of apartment rental rates. I imagine food is less than wher e you are now; SD has year round produce for pretty reasonable prices. Gas is high, but again, possibly not in comparison to St. Lucia?

Also, do you need a visa to work? If so, that is your first strategy for research. Not sure where you are originally from as far as all of that goes...so just mentioning.

Last edited by lrmsd; 07-26-2013 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-30-2013, 08:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
I'm not sure about the catering field here. Obviously, it's a destination city with many events and conferences, and a pretty large metro area with many weddings...so the industry is here. Hopefully someone with first hand experience in that market can chime in for you...The other obvious area that comes to mind would be LA metro. With hollywood and the large entertainment industry, plus the size of the area, it's a larger market and industry. There's a constant stream of events and premiers to cater for there.

I always liked L.A. and was considering there also.

Then again, San Diego could really use a good afro caribbean restaurant! lol. seriously.
Wish I could be of more help.
As far as 'what is there to do', you should search this forum for past threads, and google it. SD is close to the border for visits to tijuana, and 2 hours or so to LA for day trips, too. It's a 5 hour drive from las vegas, and an 8 hr trip to SFO (or a short commuter flight). Sd has beaches, beaches and more great beaches. And lots of hiking in the canyons in the city, and deserts and mountains within an hour's drive. It's a spread out city, with nightlife spread out as well-from downtown/gaslamp to pacific beach to encinitas/solana beach and a few other mini areas. That is different than many large metros, where the action is often more centrally located.

The afro caribbean restaurant sounds like a marvelous idea hopefully it would be trendsetting, but I guess there would have to be lots of legal paper work to get a work visa since I dont currently have one. The beaches, canyons etc are my kinda thing so thats a plus.

Also, though SD does not have a large black population, it's a very live and let live place, and this has been discussed MANY times in threads on this forum, so search the topic! Interracial dating is not given a second glance,a nd it's a pretty laid back place overall.

Im a very laid back guy so live and let live sounds great.

SD is probably a nice pace/lifestyle for you, given that you are coming from the caribbean; you want a change and a larger metro region, but maybe not such a shock out the gate. [I'm guessing?]

Bingo..

Cost of living: Check craigs list dot org for an idea of apartment rental rates. I imagine food is less than wher e you are now; SD has year round produce for pretty reasonable prices. Gas is high, but again, possibly not in comparison to St. Lucia?

Thanks

Also, do you need a visa to work? If so, that is your first strategy for research. Not sure where you are originally from as far as all of that goes...so just mentioning.
Yes I would definitely need a work visa. Im originally from St.Lucia but spent 9 years in Miami but heat the humility and its flat, I prefer hills etc what Cali have to offer anyday, although Flordia's nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego