Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2013, 02:30 PM

32 posts, read 44,659 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I've been searching the forums here for a few weeks and have already gotten a lot of great information! Now I need to narrow down my search and would love some help from you locals. I appriciate the help and know you guys read posts similar to this multiple times per day.

Little info: My significant other and I are planning to move to San Diego (no set date yet, goal is by end of the year). We will begin by splitting time between SD and Seattle, where we currently live and own a small business. We are mid 30's, no kids, no pets. Currently in Seattle we live in the city in a 710sqft, 1 bed room condo paying $1600 per month. We are right in the heart of the city, but are tired of the constant noise, homeless, crack deals, shootings etc. We are looking for a quiet suburb where we can walk around safely.

As our business is in Seattle we will mostly be working from our new home, and will not need to worry about a daily commute. However, I do travel for part of my job and will be heading to the airport 2x per week.

I'm a fan of the newer townhome communites. We would like a change of scenery from the city and are actually looking forward to similar looking homes and strip malls! We would also like to live a few miles inland so we get some sun, as we have enough grey in Seattle!

I will be in San Diego on business in a few weeks and will be spending 1 day driving around checking out theses neighborhoods, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything!

I've been looking into the following areas:

Carmel Valley
Carmel Country Highlands
Carmel Mountain
Rancho Santa Fe
Torrey Highlands
Pacific Highlands Ranch
Black Mountain Ranch
Fairbanks Ranch
Santaluz (I see earlyretirement loves it here!)

To sum it up, we are looking for a new townhome to RENT not buy! I do not like the look of the older homes. 2-3 bedrooms with 2 car garage. Budget is $2500-$3000. We do not want to live in an apartment/condo as we really want a garage to build a home gym.

1. Any pros/cons to any of these places?
2. Is there a better way to go about renting a town home? I've been searching craigslist and it seems to be hit or miss. Are there any specific community names I should search for? I've heard of Carriage Run in Carmel Valley, any others?
3. Any other areas/neighborhoods you would add?
4. Anything I did not think to ask?

Thank you in advance for any advice, help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 06:01 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Carmel Mountain is the farthest from the airport of the areas you listed. And it's one of the older areas compared to others on your list. Rancho Santa Fe and Fairbanks Ranch are also older, but they are money'ed neighborhoods so housing there may well be updated.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Carmel Mountain is the farthest from the airport of the areas you listed. And it's one of the older areas compared to others on your list. Rancho Santa Fe and Fairbanks Ranch are also older, but they are money'ed neighborhoods so housing there may well be updated.
Thank you! Very good to know! Are there newer communities that i didnt mention that allow rentals? Also interested to know what sort of noise restrictions are usually put on these types of communities.

Thank you!

Old 08-25-2013, 05:07 PM

490 posts, read 1,555,973 times
Check out Civita in Mission Valley, new, cool townhomes close to everything

Old 08-26-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewzikguy View Post
Check out Civita in Mission Valley, new, cool townhomes close to everything
Thank you! Also are there better places to search than Craig's List?

Old 08-26-2013, 01:12 PM

490 posts, read 1,555,973 times
Padmapper is a more classy search than Craigslist, imo

Old 08-26-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewzikguy View Post
Padmapper is a more classy search than Craigslist, imo
THANK YOU! I'm not having much luck on Craigs list!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego