Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2014, 08:57 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times

Advertisements

"So all the gay guys want you? Seriously, get over yourself."

Man Diego is the gayest city I've ever lived in--and I lived in the Bay Area for 3 years (that's SF, not Tampa--I'm spelling it out because I'm shocked at the number of people I've met from here who have never even visited this city in their own state--such inquisitiveness !!). Anways, happy for them, but not my cup of tea. Maybe not this presence in Carmel Valley or Chula Vista or wherever you live, but definitely in the downtown metro area and surrounding areas. Open your eyes (though I will admit, South Beach could catch up to San Diego some day).

"And what about the flight times from Miami to Hong Kong, Sydney or Tokyo? It will take you between 18 and 30 hours to get to those places. I can get to Europe faster than Miamians can get to Bora Bora."

....if you read my post--which you didn't--I stated Miami is much, much closer to where I like to travel, such as Europe and Latin America. Last I checked, none of those places you mentioned are in Europe or Latin America. I have no desire to go to the places you mentioned--all of which take minimum 12 hours+, or longer, to get to from San Diego--actually considerably longer if you also have to drive up to and fly out of LAX to get to. Contrast that to nonstops from Miami where I can be to more than a dozen countries in the Caribbean and Latin America in under 3 hours or less, Europe in 6 hours, and deep South America in 8 hours.

"You mentioned Brickell in another post. Unless you are one of those wealthy Brazillians or Argentinians, good luck meeting other professionals (ie, second home dwellers) in those sterile highrises. LOL"

....you sound like one of the homogeneous, white people from Palm Beach county (aka the South Orange County, CA of FL--and, I'm white, by the way) who told me that if I moved to Miami I need to be fluent in Spanish....funny, but I've been to Miami and surrounding areas several times within the past few months and have never encountered anyone who did not nor would not speak English and while I am not 100% fluent in Spanish, I'm pretty darn close as a result of my numerous travels throughout Latin America and a language immersion course (also, conversational in Brazilian Portuguese). Have I lived there?--no; but I have a pretty good feel I could get by with my Strunk & White English in Miami...Miami, and the East coast is a little different than SoCal--you meet your neighbors when you move in, not when they move out (because they are having a garage sale and there's something you want so you finally introduce yourself, like out here)...finally, I suppose all those banks and other companies in the financial district part of/surrounding Brickell are just empty facades with none of the 'second dwellers' working inside those buildings???...ROTFLMAO.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-24-2014 at 10:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 10:31 AM

finally--there certainly did not appear to be a shortage of professionals whom I met when I worked out at Sports Club LA/Miami nor during lunch at Mary Brickell Village and nearby...and who is staying in those expensive hotels (and how are they staying in business) such as Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, Viceroy, and Epic--to name a few....foodservers and bartenders?? I doubt it.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:56 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,273,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
finally--there certainly did not appear to be a shortage of professionals whom I met when I worked out at Sports Club LA/Miami nor during lunch at Mary Brickell Village and nearby...and who is staying in those expensive hotels (and how are they staying in business) such as Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, Viceroy, and Epic--to name a few....foodservers and bartenders?? I doubt it.
San Diego wasnt a good fit for you, we get it. Have fun in Miami.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:12 PM

88 posts, read 196,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
San Diego wasnt a good fit for you, we get it. Have fun in Miami.
I love it!

Miami over San Diego?! I'll never understand that one!

Old 03-24-2014, 08:13 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Quote:
"So all the gay guys want you? Seriously, get over yourself."

Man Diego is the gayest city I've ever lived in--and I lived in the Bay Area for 3 years (that's SF, not Tampa--I'm spelling it out because I'm shocked at the number of people I've met from here who have never even visited this city in their own state--such inquisitiveness !!). Anways, happy for them, but not my cup of tea. Maybe not this presence in Carmel Valley or Chula Vista or wherever you live, but definitely in the downtown metro area and surrounding areas. Open your eyes (though I will admit, South Beach could catch up to San Diego some day).

You can't have your cake and eat it too. You began by disclaiming how being gay was ok with you, but your later words spoke volumes. Obviously, you cannot stand gay men. Fine, I don't care. Might I suggest a gym that is not in Hillcrest next time? And if you don't think you will find gay men in Miami, and in gyms no less, you are in for a rude awakening.

"And what about the flight times from Miami to Hong Kong, Sydney or Tokyo? It will take you between 18 and 30 hours to get to those places. I can get to Europe faster than Miamians can get to Bora Bora."

....if you read my post--which you didn't--I stated Miami is much, much closer to where I like to travel, such as Europe and Latin America. Last I checked, none of those places you mentioned are in Europe or Latin America. I have no desire to go to the places you mentioned--all of which take minimum 12 hours+, or longer, to get to from San Diego--actually considerably longer if you also have to drive up to and fly out of LAX to get to. Contrast that to nonstops from Miami where I can be to more than a dozen countries in the Caribbean and Latin America in under 3 hours or less, Europe in 6 hours, and deep South America in 8 hours.

This actually makes great sense to me. But I have access to LAX not too far away, so I don;t have this concern. San Diego's airport is well, not international, and is rather small. But considering that most people don't take frequent international trips, LAX can suffice for San Diegans.

"You mentioned Brickell in another post. Unless you are one of those wealthy Brazillians or Argentinians, good luck meeting other professionals (ie, second home dwellers) in those sterile highrises. LOL"

....you sound like one of the homogeneous, white people from Palm Beach county (aka the South Orange County, CA of FL--and, I'm white, by the way) who told me that if I moved to Miami I need to be fluent in Spanish....funny, but I've been to Miami and surrounding areas several times within the past few months and have never encountered anyone who did not nor would not speak English and while I am not 100% fluent in Spanish, I'm pretty darn close as a result of my numerous travels throughout Latin America and a language immersion course (also, conversational in Brazilian Portuguese). Have I lived there?--no; but I have a pretty good feel I could get by with my Strunk & White English in Miami...Miami, and the East coast is a little different than SoCal--you meet your neighbors when you move in, not when they move out (because they are having a garage sale and there's something you want so you finally introduce yourself, like out here)...finally, I suppose all those banks and other companies in the financial district part of/surrounding Brickell are just empty facades with none of the 'second dwellers' working inside those buildings???...ROTFLMAO.
Those 'dumb' white people were right, I have been in those high rises. They are sterile with huge HOAs. Hint: HOA fees and income taxes = no help; it just means money down the drain. Enjoy. Oh and the reference to South OC (presumably where you are from) is below the belt and was unnecessary. South OC Homogenous? Hardly, but I will let my Persian and Chinese neighbor know you don't approve of our homogeneity. I am sorry you didn't like living in OC or SD, but I take solace in knowing you will soon be happy in Miami.

Knowing Spanish is great. What a beautiful language! And I too love visiting 'Latin' countries, but for me, none compare to Spain.

Good luck to you.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:28 PM

Might I suggest a gym that is not in Hillcrest next time?...

Those 'dumb' white people were right, I have been in those high rises. They are sterile with huge HOAs. Hint: HOA fees and income taxes = no help; it just means money down the drain. Enjoy. Oh and the reference to South OC (presumably where you are from) is below the belt and was unnecessary. South OC Homogenous? Hardly, but I will let my Persian and Chinese neighbor know you don't approve of our homogeneity. I am sorry you didn't like living in OC or SD, but I take solace in knowing you will soon be happy in Miami.

.....guess you don't spend much time downtown San Diego....I never go to Hillcrest. Can you name me a gym downtown that isn't substantially gay ..24 Hour Fitness, Fit?...let me know and I'll be happy to supply you with my optometrists' phone number. Sounds like you don't even know your own city, let alone one clear across the country. Have you even been to the area I am talking about?

.....ever been to a high rise in downtown San Diego?...I suppose they have low HOA's?....then again, I never said money was an issue--you might not be able to afford the HOA's but it's not an issue for me...and I'm not moving for the weather, I'm moving for the people.

.....thanks for the well wishes for Miami...hope I didn't ruin your evening or bring you to the verge of tears with my comment on OC (guess you never heard of "the orange curtain" and "the great white flight" in describing OC??--do you live in a bubble?...I'm glad you enjoyed Spain but you also realize that in Brazil they speak Portuguese, right--which is why they call it 'Latin' America--not Spanish America..I know, I can be such a brut at times.

Cracking up at this post and how soft/sensitive SOME Diegans can be....it asks why did I move here (weather) and do you want to leave (which I elaborated on). I gave my reasons--but god forbid you say anything negative about San Diego....canned response seems to be, "if you don't like it here, why don't you leave?''....(a) I am and (b) I liken that mentality to the 6 year old who takes his ball and tells the other kids, I don't want to play anymore....if you can't handle the reasons or answers, don't ask the friggin question in the first place and grow a pair if you don't already have a set. Not everyone whom I've met in San Diego is this soft, thank goodness.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-24-2014 at 09:21 PM..

Old 03-24-2014, 10:43 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,933,303 times
Quote:

Cracking up at this post and how soft/sensitive SOME Diegans can be....it asks why did I move here (weather) and do you want to leave (which I elaborated on). I gave my reasons--but god forbid you say anything negative about San Diego....canned response seems to be, "if you don't like it here, why don't you leave?''....(a) I am and (b) I liken that mentality to the 6 year old who takes his ball and tells the other kids, I don't want to play anymore....if you can't handle the reasons or answers, don't ask the friggin question in the first place and grow a pair if you don't already have a set. Not everyone whom I've met in San Diego is this soft, thank goodness.
[/color]

Soft, you haven't locked horns with me, brother/sister. Crack up all you want on your way out.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:52 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,418 times
I don't think any city in america is THATgay. I always find it extremely odd when a straight man complains incessantly about gay men. I don't spend 5 minutes in an entire yr on the subject and I've lived near San Franciso most of my adult life. Seriously, I have a hard time believing that San Diego's over-agressive gay population could be a realstic factor in anyone leaving thst city. I have an even harder time believing Miami FL with all of its flamboyance would be much better in that respect. Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:15 AM

29 posts, read 66,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
It's not a blanket statement. I just hear a lot of people who throw out the "i love the outdoors" statement and then make excuse after excuse why they can't do any of that where they are from or came from. The reality is it's not cold 365 days a year in most places. And maybe you hate the winters and stay inside. But if you like the outdoors and like to hike and like to camp, you'll find ways to do it no matter where you live. I love San Diego and love living here, but at the end of the day, I found plenty of outdoor activities to do no matter where I lived.

It's never really about a place. Yes, there are a lot of great things about San diego, but it's not going to suddenly make you rich or make you happier 24/7. Like I said, if you love the outdoors, you pretty much can find outdoor activities to do no matter where you live in the world. If you find excuses on why you don't do them, just moving to San Diego isn't going to suddenly make you an outdoor kind of person.
A person from NJ complaining about their life is probably still going to be the same person in San Diego complaining about their life. People just assume the grass is always greener.

There are no blanket statements. I didn't like NJ and would never move back. But at the end of the day, I still found a lot of good things to do, good friends, and enjoyed most of my time there while I was there. Same goes for every place I've been. I prefer San Diego and don't want to move, but at the end of the day, San Diego is more like the icing on the cake. Somebody who needs San Diego to be the perfect everything and be all end all of what makes them happy, most likely is going to be somebody who starts complaining about all the bad things in San Diego in a year.

Like I said, whether you live in NJ, Iowa, Miami, South America, or wherever, if you like doing outdoor things, you're going to find a way to do those things. If you don't, you don't. No big deal. But to say you love the outdoors, but cant' do it in Place A, B, C, and D and you will do it all the time in San Diego, is just setting yourself up for disaster. It doesn't snow in NJ 365 days a year.
While I appreciate the point you're trying to make, I wholeheartedly disagree. I've lived my entire life (40 years) in New Jersey, and the climate here puts a HUGE damper on outdoor activities. Most of us in NJ just spent the past 3+ months ENTIRELY indoors. I tried to get my 3 yr old son to build a snowman with me, but he didn't enjoy the snow and the cold, despite wanting nothing more than to go outside. It made me very sad, because I always try to do whatever I can to make him happy. But unfortunately, I can't do much about our climate.

Last week it turned to spring...time to get outside, go for a walk, maybe have a picnic somewhere, right? Wrong. It was 30º today, and they're calling for snow again tomorrow. But hopefully this storm will be Old Man Winter's last hurrah.

Soon it will be April, and that means rain. Even on the days when it's not raining, the ground will be soaking wet, the children's playgrounds will be wet, but hey...at least it won't be below freezing like it was for four straight months, so we'll take it! May usually brings a lot more rain, but the temps tend to get a little warmer, and we might actually get to eat outside on the patio a few nights. But if you suffer from allergies like so many north easterners do, May can be downright miserable. Summer officially kicks off in June, and if this year is anything like last year, that means temps soar into the mid 90's with 90-95% humidity. And with the warm temps and humidity, we get mosquitos...billions of mosquitos. Nothing ruins your outdoor fun quite like getting eaten alive. July and august are more of the same, except temps will hit 100º, and so will the humidity. The only outdoor activity on many days is to go to the pool, if you're fortunate enough to have one. I really don't enjoy the summers here at all, but there not nearly as bad as the winters. At least my feet don't feel like blocks of ice, and i don't have to wear layers and layers of clothing just to go to the mailbox.

September and October are easily the best months we have, when we're not getting hit by hurricanes. I try to spend as much time as I can outside in September, because by mid October, it starts getting colder, and before you know it, the leaves have fallen off the trees, the clocks have been turned back, and we're all gearing up for winter.

To sum up everything, the climate in New Jersey SUCKS, and our quality of life suffers dramatically because of it. Sure, if you're determined to be outdoors here, you'll spend more time outside than most. But that doesn't mean you'll be comfortable, it just means you'll be outside. I, like many, don't enjoy bitter cold temps and wind that cuts right to the bone. Nor do I enjoy humidity that is so thick, you have difficulty breathing. In San Diego, you can be outside all year and COMFORTABLE.

So for people who truly enjoy the outdoors, or even just being OUTSIDE, much of the country pales in comparison to southern California. I mean, they are WORLDS APART. I've read this entire thread, and it makes me laugh when people downplay the climate. I've lived within an hour of NYC and Philadelphia my whole life. Sure, there's interesting architecture, great museums, great restaurants, Broadway, etc., but I would GLADLY give up ALL OF IT in a heartbeat, if I could have year-round nice weather. Sure, i'd miss the food somewhat, but i'll take a fish taco, 72º and sunshine any day of the week.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:07 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,342,405 times
I agree AceofHearts -- I think it depends on one thing: how much you value the outdoors or summer/fair weather vs. winter sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego