Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 07:55 PM

5 posts, read 6,183 times

Advertisements

Don't tell me y'all moved to CP?? That's were we moved from!! Hilarious!! Polvos has the vinegar carrots! But yes, you won't find a California Burrito nor anything that resembles carne asada. They are really into Carne Guisada...Hope you enjoy the heat!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 09:43 PM

384 posts, read 980,913 times
Yep, Cedar Park! Hubby is in the tech field. I haven't experienced that much of the heat because we've stayed inside a lot. Or gone swimming. I can't wait to be able to open my windows again! I'm just looking forward to an end of summer and hoping for some low '90's one day. It's hovered around 100 for the last month. Thanks for the Polvos tip!
Janine

Old 09-02-2013, 12:30 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,546,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janineg View Post
Is anyone looking to start a business? Might I suggest opening a restaurant in Austin that serves Southern CA style Mexican food? We just moved from San Diego to Austin about a month ago, and I keep running into Californians who lament the Tex-Mex food and lack of familiar Mexican food. Everyone I ask says that there is no food like this in Austin. With so many sad Californians here, surely a place that serves good refried pinto beans and good Mexican rice would do well?
I'm from Texas and just moved to San Diego from Austin. Sorry, but I think Tex-Mex rocks, and if you like Pink's Taco it's essentially the same flare.

But as to your question about finding real mexican food, go to any taqueria. there a few independent chains out that are descent. As to Southern CA style.... I doubt if you find it because it's kind of a regional cuisine, just like finding Tex-Mex in Southern CA

Old 09-09-2013, 07:12 AM

20 posts, read 29,070 times
Also check out Chuy's Bakery in north Austin. Coming from northern California, my tastes may differ, but I think their tacos are similar to what I used to get off just about any food truck in the Central Valley. I still have yet to find a decent carnitas burrito (Freebirds is as good as it gets), but I've given up hope on that food front.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:12 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I find places like Chipotle ak tex mex places so bland and boring.
I hope you know that Chipotle is from Colorado and has little to do with Texas. In fact, it is more inspired by CA/West coast Mexican-style food more than anything.

Chipotle Mexican Grill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tex-Mex, in general, gets a bad reputation nationally because so many people associate it with anything that says it is remotely related to Mexican food, like Taco Bell, which, again, has nothing to do with Texas (and is from California).

Tex-Mex is not supposed to Mexican food, it is Tex-Mex, a fusion of Native, Spanish, and other European cultures in Texas. Just like SoCal-Mex is a fusion of European and Native cultures in the area. They are real foods that real people eat, however, and the only way you could probably see the foods for what they really are is to go to where those people eat or find places that make it right.

So, what you should do, is expand your definition of "Mexican" food. I am not familiar with a SoCal style restaurant in Austin (or what restaurant comes close) so I can't help you there. I can say that if you can, pick up cooking if you haven't already (which is what I do when I want Tex-Mex faves) or keep scouring. I'm sure you'll find a fix eventually.

In my opinion, by the way, both cuisines are great. I love just about anything associated with Southwestern food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego