Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 10:09 AM

15,131 posts, read 32,382,573 times

Advertisements

The OP hasn't posted on here since 09-23-2013, so I hope by now he's found what he's looking for, and made some friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 01:17 PM

8,395 posts, read 7,675,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
The OP hasn't posted on here since 09-23-2013, so I hope by now he's found what he's looking for, and made some friends.
Yes, but Opt_10 has posted that he is not happy since moving to San Diego, and the most recent replies have been in response to his post, not to the original poster.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:18 PM

15,131 posts, read 32,382,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Yes, but Opt_10 has posted that he is not happy since moving to San Diego, and the most recent replies have been in response to his post, not to the original poster.
Maybe Opt_10 should start his own thread. I've relocated several times, and have had no problems making friends each time.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:19 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,043,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt_10 View Post
You can't make good friends when you are sweating on a strenuous morning hike ( I don't know how san diegans do it at 6 am or 8 am!)
Are you kidding? That's literally just walking and having a conversation for 2 hours (or however long you're out there). What better way to get to know someone?

Old 03-07-2017, 06:13 PM

50,479 posts, read 47,229,720 times
WTH some of the best friends I have were met either by working out or drinking at a bar. Actually both go hand in hand quite easily and I try to combine them as often as possible but in correct order

50 mile bike ride......beers

yaaaa buddy

Old 03-08-2017, 01:29 AM

480 posts, read 420,275 times
Quote:
I recall that this is a temporary location for you --- aren't you only here for a year? Just a thought, but I wonder if that is playing a part in your loneliness. Some people might not want to invest much in a friendship knowing you'll be leaving soon. And, it really does take about a year to start making deeper friendships, so the length of time you'll be here might be part of why you're feeling a little lost right now. Where will you be moving at the end of the year?
Thanks for checking in. I had a couple of rough weeks and just feeling a bit down lately. San Diego perhaps had nothing to do with it. I do miss my friends back in Minnesota. I could always go have a drink with them and unwind. I thought I would get a permanent job here but that's not panning out. At least not till next spring. So, I will likely move back in the summer. On top of that the gay community here is super cliquey. But that's true in most cities.

You are right. It takes a while to make friends in any city. It took me a few years back in Minnesota to find that. But for some reason, I thought SD with the beaches and the beauty would be so fun that I wouldn't need a support system right away. I got that wrong. SD is beautiful but I am missing something. I can't put my finger on it. Summers are fun in SD though. I always felt better when I took a swim in the ocean or hiked at Torrey pines but I have little motivation to do outdoorsy stuff when I need a jacket. I can't wait for the weather to get warmer here so I can go swim or just hang at the beach and read a book in my swim suit.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:33 AM

30 posts, read 24,994 times
Funny, I moved here from Connecticut just about two years ago and was sort of in a similar situation. I think adapting to a new environment, let alone a different state can be dramatic at first. Having said that when you work full time and of course do grad school on the side it can be difficult to socialize given the circumstances. Do I regret moving here for my career? Not at all.
I think there are pros and cons for each given place and IMO I think the pros outweigh the cons here in Southern California. I sure don't miss the humid or frigid days in the northeast haha

Old 03-12-2017, 12:31 PM

21 posts, read 19,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I lived in OB from about age 20 -23 (1996-1999 or so). I made a lot of friends, but everyone was a partier. After a couple of years I saw a segment of my friends move away (usually back to their parent's house), another segment fell into drugs / hardcore partying, and realizing I didn't want to just live a party lifestyle forever, I moved out, never looked back, and rarely visit those beach cities anymore. Living in those areas, partying is part of the lifestyle, and generally, if you are career driven, you wont be happy for a long time.

I was wondering if you'd be able to recommend areas of SD for someone who has no interest in partying and is a motivated professional focused on their career? I have been considering a move to SD but would prefer to avoid a neighborhood or people who are focused on getting high and drinking 24/7. Any insight you could provide would be great

Old 03-12-2017, 01:11 PM

8,395 posts, read 7,675,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlec View Post
I was wondering if you'd be able to recommend areas of SD for someone who has no interest in partying and is a motivated professional focused on their career? I have been considering a move to SD but would prefer to avoid a neighborhood or people who are focused on getting high and drinking 24/7. Any insight you could provide would be great
Where in San Diego County will you be working?

What is your budget for housing? Do you plan to rent or buy?

Most professionals start with those questions when deciding where to live here, unless they don't mind an hour long commute or have an unlimited housing budget.

Also, you've posted in a thread that was started in 2013 and died a loooong time ago. You'll probably get more replies if you start a new thread with your question (Be sure to include the answers to the questions I gave above).

Old 03-12-2017, 04:06 PM

21 posts, read 19,615 times
Quote:
Where in San Diego County will you be working?

What is your budget for housing? Do you plan to rent or buy?

Most professionals start with those questions when deciding where to live here, unless they don't mind an hour long commute or have an unlimited housing budget.

Also, you've posted in a thread that was started in 2013 and died a loooong time ago. You'll probably get more replies if you start a new thread with your question (Be sure to include the answers to the questions I gave above).

I apologize I didn't realize the thread was from so long ago. I was asking about the vibe of various neighborhoods because price is no problem and work is not an issue I can work from anywhere. I really was just curious about neighborhoods that don't have as much of the party / drug scene. Thanks for your reply
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego