Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 09:55 AM

6,907 posts, read 8,279,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
OK to add something positive for a change, if you are a tourist or conventioneer stuck without a car and must eat downtown, these are a couple of my favorites (many of them old school). I would avoid the Gaslamp as much as pancreatic cancer, unless you enjoy eating at mediocre, overpriced restaurants that, as an area, has the added distinction of drawing 22 year-olds on weekends still working on their GED degree while they support the crystal meth industry until their lifetime ambition of opening a tattoo shop by their 40th birthday is realized:

Dobson's
Athens Market (Greek)
Salvatores (Italian)
Cowboy Star (steak)
Grant Grill (inside the US Grant Grill--very good, not cheap)
Prep Kitchen (best restaurant in Little Italy, and it's NOT Italian food)
Thanks for posting those restaurants.

I'm coming down for my nephew's college graduation, he's a 23 surfer, so I loved your comments about Gaslamp, he loves that area, and he is very happy that I'm staying in a condo close to Petco. I have never seriously walked around Downtown, driven around a lot but that's not the same. Nephew lives in Clairemont.

I'm a experienced surfer so when in SD I always stay on the beach. Not this time, I look forward to walking and biking around downtown and my old standby-Hillcrest- been going there since the beginning of time.

I grew up in SD, left a few decades back and I never get used to the extra 1.5 million people when I visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 11:37 AM

Just noticed there is a Prep Kitchen in Del Mar as well.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:14 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
And one in La Jolla, though I prefer Whiskenlade (same owner as Prep Kitchen).... I do like the new Ironside Fish and Oyster in Little Italy.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
And one in La Jolla, though I prefer Whiskenlade (same owner as Prep Kitchen).... I do like the new Ironside Fish and Oyster in Little Italy.
Awesome, I'm putting these in my iPhone so i can impress my nephew.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:55 AM

182 posts, read 328,204 times
Basic is good for Pizza (and their salad is tasty) near Petco Park. Prep Kitchen in Little Italy was good, artichoke appetizer stands out in my mind.

I'm sniffling about the Cohen restaurants comment... I would describe The Prado that way but I love Island Prime and C-Level and would not describe their food as mediocre. Seared Ahi was super fresh, like cutting into butter, mac nut mahi mahi is delicious, love the popovers with jalapeno honey butter at Island Prime.... And the Lobster Bisque is one of the best I've ever had. Got to love the view too. They actually are building a 3rd restaurant in the parking lot (Coral), looks like it might be more upscale than Island Prime which I think tends to feel more casual being attached to C-Level.

This town definitely has some sub-par restaurants but we've found some good ones all around town that we love.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:47 AM

How about any rooftop bar recommendations?

With great views, friendly, low on the attitude, comfortable seating, and super high quality cocktails - bars that use fresh squeezed juices and make their mixers from scratch.

Craft bars, high-end "whisky bars", again, bars that use fresh squeezed juices and make their mixers from scratch, and take their time making high-quality drinks. If none downtown, where?

I want to be that "guy" in the group who knows all the really good places downtown.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:19 AM

Pretty sure I’ll be concentrating on places I tend to neglect when in San Diego such as:

Downtown, all of it by foot and bike. My condo is on Island Ave in the Gaslamp.

Coronado, usually always avoid the place, but I want to make a point of spending time there.

Del Mar, the whole town from San Deiguito River to Torrey Pines on the beach. Tend to avoid because racetrack and fair traffic. But not this time, neither of those are in full swing yet.

Kensington : Know nothing, except its close to San Diego State where the graduation ceremony is.

Oceanside, mini family reunion at the beachhouse on S. Pacific street. Beach house is just north of Buccaneer Park, south of Pier.

I don’t know Oceanside well at all, other than surfing is good at the Jetties. Any recommendations would be nice.

I’ll have a car mostly to get up north and to go to San Diego State.

I might bring two small dogs, any recommendations on real dog friendly places/beaches/restaurants?

Old 05-05-2014, 07:24 AM

For craft cocktails you could try Craft & Commerce (on outskirts of Little Italy), Prohibition (speakeasy next to, and downstairs from, Nicky Rottens in Gaslamp on 5th Avenue), Polite Provisions, and I LOVE the Pony Room at the plush Rancho Valencia resort in Rancho Santa Fe.

Rooftop bars?--some like the Gaslamp Marriott.....I like Ivy at Andaz, Bertrand at Mister A's (part of a fancy French resto but great views), and--though not a rooftop--the outside deck bar at Eddie V's in La Jolla has amazing views of the ocean (better than George's at the Cove in my opinion). Poseidon in Del Mar is another place with amazing ocean views and a great place for a cocktail (food is meh, but great place for a drink).

Old 05-05-2014, 07:26 AM

not a fan of Coronado and be extra careful here to obey the speed limit and drinking and driving....though no view, I really like Leroy's Lounge and Kitchen for food and drink.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
For craft cocktails you could try Craft & Commerce (on outskirts of Little Italy), Prohibition (speakeasy next to, and downstairs from, Nicky Rottens in Gaslamp on 5th Avenue), Polite Provisions, and I LOVE the Pony Room at the plush Rancho Valencia resort in Rancho Santa Fe.

Rooftop bars?--some like the Gaslamp Marriott.....I like Ivy at Andaz, Bertrand at Mister A's (part of a fancy French resto but great views), and--though not a rooftop--the outside deck bar at Eddie V's in La Jolla has amazing views of the ocean (better than George's at the Cove in my opinion). Poseidon in Del Mar is another place with amazing ocean views and a great place for a cocktail (food is meh, but great place for a drink).
Great, thanks much!

Eddie V's: Eddie Vedder?

French resto/Bertrand.....Allons-y!, love anything French, the more authentic French, the better. So, we will definitely go to Bleu Bohème as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego