Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 10:49 AM

3 posts, read 3,183 times

Advertisements

My husband was recently transferred to the Pt Loma area of San Diego for his job, and we are in the process of trying to relocate. We will be moving from the Palos Verdes peninsula, and I was hoping for some suggestions on areas, other than Poway, that would be similar to PV and commutable to Pt Loma. We have three kids and a very large dog, so a fairly large house on a large lot, with an excellent school district is really important. I will also be looking for a new position (I work in IT), and once we move, the location has to commutable for myself as well. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated. Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 02:17 PM

Location: San Diego via Orange County via Toronto via Rome Italy
390 posts, read 795,003 times
Mmmmm . . . I don't know PV vry well but my wife is from Long Beach and we've visited friends in that area a few times. Based on that limited impression I'm not sure there's anything in San Diego that's an exact match in terms of large lot/large house AND sea-side location.

Mt. Soledad probably comes closest, if the budget is doable. I would imagine the schools are good but never researched it - too rich for my blood.

Pt. Loma/Sunset Cliffs have a similar dramatic setting, but generally small houses on small lots. the limited househunting we did there (houses too small in our price range) indicated schools were hit-and-miss

Mt. Helix has dramatic views and large houses/lots and has a similar mid-century vibe as PV . . .but not coastal . . .schools are good if you are generally on the eastern flank of the mountain . . . commute to Pt. Loma might be tough; I-8 can back up . .

Old 03-20-2014, 05:37 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,176,492 times
What is the budget for this?

Old 03-20-2014, 05:59 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times
Not just budget, how many rooms, sqft, etc. What do you call a "fairly house on a fairly large lot?" Many more details are needed to give you more information.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:29 PM

3 posts, read 3,183 times
Thank you for the replies so far. Yes, PV is pretty unique in a lot of ways, and I know we won't be able to match what we have here, in San Diego, and that's ok. San Diego has other things to offer. We also know that compromises will need to be made in whatever property we end up buying. Ideally, we would like a 5 bedroom house, around 4000 sq ft, with a 3 car garage, on a lot zoned for horses. Right now, we'd like to keep it around a million, but if I can get a job, then that changes. However, if I'm working full time, then realistically, I can't take care of the horses, which then eliminates the requirement for horse facilities!

Old 03-21-2014, 10:33 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,176,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvmom2 View Post
...a 5 bedroom house, around 4000 sq ft, with a 3 car garage, on a lot zoned for horses. Right now, we'd like to keep it around a million...
The part about keeping it around a million could be hard to achieve, unless you like more desert-y climes and don't mind being a bit removed from populated areas

Old 03-21-2014, 11:04 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,272,081 times
OP, you should look in Olivenhain, Bonita and Rancho Santa Fe (RSF.) These are unincorporated parts of town that are about as close as you can get to the coast and known for being equine friendly. But 1MM in RSF might be on the lower end if you are willing to compromise house size. Houses can range from single story ranches to impressive mansions, but its gorgeous and full of rural character just minutes from the coast. THe general toppgraphy and size of the lots in that area lends itself to a good amount of privacy as well if that is important to you.

sschibuola is also right about looking a little further east as well in the unincorporated parts of La Mesa or El Cajon. Some incredible properties out there. Even further is another horse country called Ramona. Naturally that would be adding to any commute near the bases.

I really couldnt tell you about the school quality. RSF and Olivenhain are in some of the more exclusive and expensive parts of town. I am sure greatschools can give you more info in that regard.

If you scratch the idea of having stables or enough room for a horse, then your options near the base and good school will increase dramatically.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:05 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,851,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
OP, you should look in Olivenhain, Bonita and Rancho Santa Fe (RSF.) These are unincorporated parts of town that are about as close as you can get to the coast and known for being equine friendly. But 1MM in RSF might be on the lower end if you are willing to compromise house size. Houses can range from single story ranches to impressive mansions, but its gorgeous and full of rural character just minutes from the coast. THe general toppgraphy and size of the lots in that area lends itself to a good amount of privacy as well if that is important to you.

sschibuola is also right about looking a little further east as well in the unincorporated parts of La Mesa or El Cajon. Some incredible properties out there. Even further is another horse country called Ramona. Naturally that would be adding to any commute near the bases.

I really couldnt tell you about the school quality. RSF and Olivenhain are in some of the more exclusive and expensive parts of town. I am sure greatschools can give you more info in that regard.

If you scratch the idea of having stables or enough room for a horse, then your options near the base and good school will increase dramatically.
If the OP can find what she's looking for in Rancho Santa Fe for $1 million, I'd love to see it. I'd say double that in the Ranch and maybe. Olivenhain isn't much cheaper for the size and amenities the OP is seeking.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:21 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,592,513 times
All of the areas you're suggesting are a non-trivial commute to Point Loma.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:45 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,272,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
If the OP can find what she's looking for in Rancho Santa Fe for $1 million, I'd love to see it. I'd say double that in the Ranch and maybe. Olivenhain isn't much cheaper for the size and amenities the OP is seeking.
Yes this is true absolutely, thanks for the correction.
I have seen a few and far between (not more recently) and more needle in a haystack which I should have mentioned. Any that I have seen have been snapped up for under 1MM, were older and smaller but the condition of the homes was not so great. They turned out to get flipped.

Most of the homes there are pretty massive as noted and in terms of raw PPSF somewhere in the mid $600 range. The prices have gone up over the past few years, thats for sure.

If the OP can go over the 1MM into 1.3+ it looks like that is where a good chunk is. As far as the horse aspect, I dont know of any cities in SD County that allow them.

Here are the listings for RSF
http://www.sdlookup.com/Real_Estate-...For_Sale-92067

http://www.sdlookup.com/MLS_Map-Ranc...Fe-Homes-92091
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego