Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 12:56 PM

3 posts, read 3,301 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody! Long time lurker on city-data, but I finally made myself an account here. My girlfriend and I have been talking about leaving WA state for a long time now. Our top choice by far is San Diego, but we're both a little intimidated by the cost of living, in addition to the move itself. We live in a smaller city (Spokane) which is extremely cheap, coupled with Washington having the highest national minimum wage and lacking a state income tax. I expect housing costs to be about triple, but what other costs will be higher in CA?
We are also very concerned about finding a new social life when we move... We lived in the Phoenix area briefly, but we really weren't able to meet a single person. Everybody seemed very closed-off. The two times I've visited SD weren't really enough to get a feel for the locals. Are people generally more laid-back since it's SoCal?
What areas should we be looking at for housing? I'm hoping to buy rather than rent. A small condo in a safe, slightly upscale neighborhood would be ideal (cost permitting).
I assume that San Diego traffic is not as bad as LA/OC, but I really don't know. People talked about Phoenix having heavy traffic, but it never seemed terrible except during rush hour.
Anything else I should be considering when we make the move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 12:58 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Do you have a job lined up? Do you have a large savings cushion to hold you until/if you find a job?

Old 03-27-2014, 01:08 PM

3 posts, read 3,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Do you have a job lined up? Do you have a large savings cushion to hold you until/if you find a job?
I don't have a job lined up, although my girlfriend should have no trouble transferring there almost immediately. I do have a pretty significant nest egg just for this purpose.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:38 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
I would strongly suggest renting here for awhile, at least a year, until you get the lay of the land, figure out if you really like it here, if you can afford to live here, make sure your jobs are stable, etc. Housing here is expensive, gas, electricity, car registration.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:09 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,046 times
the risk you run by waiting to buy is the increase in house prices and interest rates. sometimes you don't have a choice though.

sorry, don't want to derail the thread. good luck with your move

Old 03-27-2014, 02:22 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,538,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
the risk you run by waiting to buy is the increase in house prices and interest rates.
..tis better to pay more later than to pay less now for a location you wind up hating.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:27 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
..tis better to pay more later than to pay less now for a location you wind up hating.
qft

Old 03-27-2014, 02:48 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy93 View Post
Hey everybody! Long time lurker on city-data, but I finally made myself an account here. My girlfriend and I have been talking about leaving WA state for a long time now. Our top choice by far is San Diego, but we're both a little intimidated by the cost of living, in addition to the move itself. We live in a smaller city (Spokane) which is extremely cheap, coupled with Washington having the highest national minimum wage and lacking a state income tax. I expect housing costs to be about triple, but what other costs will be higher in CA?
We are also very concerned about finding a new social life when we move... We lived in the Phoenix area briefly, but we really weren't able to meet a single person. Everybody seemed very closed-off. The two times I've visited SD weren't really enough to get a feel for the locals. Are people generally more laid-back since it's SoCal?
What areas should we be looking at for housing? I'm hoping to buy rather than rent. A small condo in a safe, slightly upscale neighborhood would be ideal (cost permitting).
I assume that San Diego traffic is not as bad as LA/OC, but I really don't know. People talked about Phoenix having heavy traffic, but it never seemed terrible except during rush hour.
Anything else I should be considering when we make the move?
You are right, IMO, traffic not terrible relative to LA/OC. There are many ways to live in SD without having to commute a long distance...There are lower end rentals in a few areas, notably North Park, Normal Heights, University Heights-these are the older/urban areas of central SD city proper. Older [for so cal] architecture, lots of hipsters, urban atmosphere/walkable, lots of shops and restaurants, many residential streets/areas. You should be able to find a one bedroom apt. for around $800, as an example. Sometimes less. Some areas are hit or miss, so research and then ask questions about specific addresses, when the time comes to actual make the move.

As far as cost of living, check online for CA state sales [and add that income taxe!] to compare with WA. Food in CA is generally less expensive than most other places, and you get good quality produce year round, since so much grows here in CA. Gas prices can be easily compared online-ie, gas prices SD average daily. It fluctuates so much, plus varies from one area of SD to another, but it will give you a general idea. I think SD is very laid back and it's pretty friendly. Phoenix is actually even more spread out/suburban than SD, and I think that accounts for some of the generic, harder to meet aspects. There aren't any major tourist hubs or beaches as gathering places in PHX either. Lots of great stuff to do there, but not really many established areas that people visit en masse, besides outdoors stuff and malls. I have heard [don't know first hand] that PHX can feel like a mini-LA, too, meaning *some* people have an LA like attitude or want it to be like that-racing around, living the car centric flashy life.

LA is not only about this, and I'm sure phx isn't either. But if there's any truth to that aspect, it could have made it harder to meet people. I think it's fairly transient, too. Then again, SD has a strong transient aspect with people moving for a year or two then leaving to go elsewhere. But, overall, I find SD to be a pretty warm and friendly place, at least superficially. And it's very laid back. I have heard it said that it's hard to get people to commit to plans in SD or that people seem flaky and will say 'yea we should get together' and then it never happens. I haven't really had that experience, but I do agree that it's laid back and that reflects the communication you have with others-just not particularly in depth or intellectual and kind of disinterested engagement in general.

People often recommend meet up dot com to, well, meet folks. Find an interest and go to a usually free event/gathering for it. SD has many festivals, street fairs, etc [Adams Ave street fair has been around for years and years, for example. And nearby Balboa Park has numerous events throughout the year-from runs to holiday events, etc]. You could also consider taking a community college class as a way to meet people. Once you're a resident, it's downright cheap to do so. Or, volunteer for an organization or cause that you support. Wildlife, hiking, outdoors, all are big here.

In short, I can't guarantee that you'll find it easy to meet people-some say really easy, others have had a hard time. I think some level of personal chemistry with a location as well as timing, play a factor. [that's not scientific, but it's my story and I'm sticking with it! ] I think cost wise, you'll do okay since you know what you are getting into ahead of time. Btw, if you prefer a coastal community, look at carlsbad and encinitas in north county. It's more $$$ than the other areas I mentioned. Also, it will probably depend on where your girlfriend will be working, as far as establishing the best commute. Along with the type of atmosphere and lifestyle you want.

Good luck.
Also, I agree with renting first. For sure.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:00 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,416,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy93 View Post
I do have a pretty significant nest egg just for this purpose.
Hope you mean cash. Don't recommend cashing out your 401(k) or other investments because you'll lose a lot in taxes. However, at 21, you have many years ahead of you to get them back, but it may be more difficult to do so in CA due to the higher cost of living.

I'd recommend making a monthly budget of your income and expenses, both current and projected for SD. That will help you know what you need to survive in SD. If you or your GF have any significant debts (car, student loans, medical, consumer, etc.), you may want to pay those off before you move, even if it means delaying the move for the time being. Reducing/eliminating your monthly payments will give you a lot more flexibility in your monthly budget and make living in SD (or anywhere for that matter) a lot more fun.

Still, it sounds like you are in a better place than many. If your GF can transfer that gives you a head start. Your search for housing may vary depending on what location she's transferred to. SD County is very spread out and there are certain commutes that probably are not worth considering. Others on this board can help you more with those details.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:07 AM

210 posts, read 412,343 times
If your girlfriend is hot, then I would not come to SD if I were you. She'll end up leaving you for millionaires with Lamborghinis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego