Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 10:33 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,851,378 times

Advertisements

I love most all birds and enjoy feeding/watching them,but here in OH we get only one variety of HB,so I'm very excited about the possibility of seeing more in SD,when I relocate there.

I was wondering though how much of a struggle it is to grown plants that they like with the lack of water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 10:41 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,569,100 times
There are many varieties of hummingbirds out here and they all seemingly love some type of plant that you'll have on your property. I've lived in Pacific Beach, Spring Valley, El Cajon, and San Carlos since I've been in San Diego, and there were hummingbirds zipping around at all four places (topography ranged from beach to suburb to quasi-desert). At my current place they love the fruit trees and bottle brushes, but there have been times where just having a basic flower bed has attracted them. Probably wherever you move will already have some plant that attracts them.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:46 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,277,935 times
TristramShanfy is spot on^^

We have several massive aloe plants in our backyard and when they flower the hummingbirds are ALL over them

Many of the drought tolerant plants (that flower) draw the hummingbirds, so they never seem to be in short supply.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:51 AM

Re:TristramShandy,and Shmoov_groovzsd, thank you so much for that info,now I'm even so much more excited to get there,lol! Reps to both tomorrow when I can give out again.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:16 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,910,626 times
Humming birds are every where out here so they seem to be getting enough food. The current drought does make it a bit more difficult but you'd be amazed how water efficient you can be with drip irrigation and some good ground cover. A lot of people around here also amend their soil to add things like peat moss as it acts like a sponge thus allowing the top soil to retain a heck of a lot more moisture over time resulting in the need for less watering even for water hogs like grass lawns. If you have a larger lot then you could look into hugelkulture as they're fairly easy to do when landscaping a yard and can easily reduce total water consumption by 50% while still keeping plants lush and green.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:35 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,430,742 times
Great advice above! Certainly no shortage of the hummers around here. Frankly, there doesn't seem to a plant they don't like! Favorite appears to be the many Birds of Paradise we have surrounding the house.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:08 PM

434 posts, read 988,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
I love most all birds and enjoy feeding/watching them,but here in OH we get only one variety of HB,so I'm very excited about the possibility of seeing more in SD,when I relocate there.

I was wondering though how much of a struggle it is to grown plants that they like with the lack of water?
ILA,

Plenty of California native plants that hummingbirds adore -- any number of sages and fuchsias, for example. I have so many hummin around my yard that I joke I become bored of their presence. Dig a hole, put plant in the ground, add some mulch but skip fertilizer and amendments. Once established, most of these plants get by and look good with rainfall + supplemental hydration here and there.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:09 PM

745 posts, read 1,568,798 times
We have scads of hummingbirds coming to our flowering lemon tree, succulents, Mexican sage etc. They are happy with drought tolerant plants.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:15 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Ours really like the morning glory and other flowering vines. Of course their first choice is the sugared up feeders.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:31 PM

Thank you all so much for all the info.I planted for the birds and butterflies and used feeders at our country house before my husband died in '97 and I moved back to the city and a condo.

I saw in a bird feeder book that one of the most important things to supply the birds is water,and I imagine that is especially true in SOCAL. any tips on how to do this? I used the top of a plastic bird bath set on the ground here because it was easy to clean with a small hand brush,after the bigger birds dirtied it by bathing in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego