Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 10:36 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
While, I would rather live in North County, which is why I chose it (I'm a 37 year old female). I just can't imagine someone coming in from out of town and not checking out the downtown areas.

I mean, I understand they don't want to spend the entire weekend with 20 year olds, it doesn't sound like they are here looking for husbands either, I mean they only have 3 days.

Downtown areas can be really fun and you have to see it, at least spend some time there. It is not all 20 year olds. Go to nicer places, the types that cater to the conventioneers and travelling business people.
San Diego's downtown area is really not a "must-see" area. There's really not a lot of good places to eat, (Cafe 21 and Cafe Chloe being the exceptions), the bar scene is kinda gross if you're not a 20-something whose idea of dressing up is a skimpy clingy dress and stripper heels, and the nightlife is geared towards tourists (spendy) or the aforementioned 20-something crowd. There's no local places to shop, and one can go to Urban Outfitters or any of the stores at the mall in any other city, so I don't see the draw there for the OP and her friends, really. It might be what other folks are looking for, but it seems like the OP specifically said she doesn't want to hang out in places like downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 10:54 AM

7,410 posts, read 6,553,115 times
I, as a downtown resident, agree with your assessment though there are a few other downtown places where I--as a local--get a good meal (mainly 'old school'--such as Dobsons, Athens Market, Salvatore's, and The Grant Grill...even a good burger at The Neighborhood)--but I, like you, would not consider these 'exciting' places nor would I recommend these as places to a tourist looking for 'fun' over a holiday weekend....good food yes, exciting--no.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I, as a downtown resident, agree with your assessment though there are a few other downtown places where I--as a local--get a good meal (mainly 'old school'--such as Dobsons, Athens Market, Salvatore's, and The Grant Grill...even a good burger at The Neighborhood)--but I, like you, would not consider these 'exciting' places nor would I recommend these as places to a tourist looking for 'fun' over a holiday weekend....good food yes, exciting--no.
I like the 'burger at Neighborhood, for sure, but it's not something I'll go downtown specifically for. Forgot about Grant Grill

Old 04-09-2014, 11:52 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
I'm speaking more about seeing the marina, and getting a feel for the city, check out some of the nice hotels and lounges. I can't imagine having never been to San Diego and not at least stopping there.

I've been to downtown plenty of times for conferences (and for whatever).

Sometimes the nightlife is off putting, other times its mostly conventioneers.

But mostly I would go to just see the city. If they don't like it they can move on. I would at least spend one night in a nice hotel on the marina like the Marriott by the convention center, awesome pool and likely to meet some nice men there on business.

What is the problem again?

I mean can you imagine visiting a city for the first time, getting to the airport, skipping the built up area, not even taking a look and driving off into the suburbs?

At least check it out.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:02 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
You definitely want to check out downtown at least once since this is you first time visiting.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:11 PM

downtown San Diego has 30,000 residents--it's not by any stretch of the imagination a big metro area like the big east coast or midwest cities or even SF. It might be worth a visit for a bite to eat 1 of 3 nights (though I would stick to the restos Jenkay and I have recommended and beware of the 20 somethings wandering 5th avenue during that busy holiday weekend--it certainly is not a unique shopping destination).

Given a choice between enjoying the ocean (i.e. beach city) vs. the bay (downtown--where I live), I would spend far more time at the beach--especially on such a short weekend visit and since the OP is coming from a desert city. You make it sound as though downtown San Diego is a 'can't miss city' which it isn't. The OP asked for fun places--The Zoo/Balboa Park and the Midway might be interesting but I do not know if I would label them as fun or part of a girls weekend. San Diego is a lovely string of beach communities which is where I would, and do, steer most people. I would base my operations at a beach community and, as suggested, maybe grab 1 dinner downtown. Of course, the OP has to decide if they want more of a 'city' feel vs. beach feel. To use an analogy, I don't see many people thinking of a trip to New York and choosing Jones Beach over Manhattan or SF and choosing Stinson Beach over the city--San Diego is far better known for its beach culture, not its urban culture--but maybe the OP should check out downtown to discover for herself and form her own conclusion

Last edited by elchevere; 04-09-2014 at 12:23 PM..

Old 04-09-2014, 12:37 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
all right already, here and in other threads you have already made yourself clear that you hate downtown San Diego. Try not to spoil it for a tourist. We know you want to move to Miami and its superior in your mind.

OP, if I were you I would look for the best deals at the best hotels and choose a few different places to stay, if I had time. That's just how I travel.

Take what you read here with a grain of salt, lol. Maybe try Trip Advisor.

Here is what some European Tourists had to say:

“Vibrant & fun”

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014 NEW

It was good to find a "real" city atmosphere in the Gaslamp Quarter of San Diego. Something we sometimes miss when visiting the States ... That is mainly Southern California and Florida. The whole area is walkable with lots of busy bars & restaurants filled with well dressed people having a good time in nice surroundings. The atmosphere is definitely fun orientated, even if just walking around people watching on a warm evening. You don't have to be young, we're pensioners! During the daylight hours we thoroughly enjoying taking in the well preserved architecture of the area. We parked for free easily enough in a street a couple of blocks away. An area we would return to.

just keep in mind that tourists and locals who are burnt out on the city after 11 years, and plan to move might have different views of a place.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...alifornia.html

obviously you will find other reviews there for other areas.

I don't argue about the beach areas, that is why I moved to one. Have fun and take an extra day or two if you can!

ps. the downtown hotel I recommend is the Marquis Marriott

also this -- nice rooftop bar and pool and close to walk to other things https://www.kimptonhotels.com/boutiq...mar-san-diego/

Last edited by rgb123; 04-09-2014 at 12:46 PM..

Old 04-09-2014, 01:02 PM

and, yet, in other posts--based on your vast 4 months experience living elsewhere in San Diego (Carlsbad, 45 minutes north of downtown with no traffic)--you claim to have moved here for the outdoors, yet are directing the OP to a pseudo urban center (closer to Irvine than say, SF) and away from the beach (outdoor activities such as swimming, bike path rentals, sailing, kayaking, etc--in addition to better restos, better shopping, and great spas.). Seems a bit contradictory, no??...and you are a pensioner at the young age at 37--would you mind sharing how you pulled that one off?....you seem to relish taking the opposite viewpoint on many topics with a number of people on this forum who disagree with your vision of the world.

OP--I travel frequently on business...seems foolish to stay in more than one hotel for a short 2 or 3 night weekend stay--unless you're the type who tries doing 6 European cities in 10 days.....stick with one hotel in one area for such a short stay--you will enjoy your stay more, no matter what area you choose.

Last edited by elchevere; 04-09-2014 at 01:16 PM..

Old 04-09-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I'm speaking more about seeing the marina, and getting a feel for the city, check out some of the nice hotels and lounges. I can't imagine having never been to San Diego and not at least stopping there.

I've been to downtown plenty of times for conferences (and for whatever).

Sometimes the nightlife is off putting, other times its mostly conventioneers.

But mostly I would go to just see the city. If they don't like it they can move on. I would at least spend one night in a nice hotel on the marina like the Marriott by the convention center, awesome pool and likely to meet some nice men there on business.

What is the problem again?

I mean can you imagine visiting a city for the first time, getting to the airport, skipping the built up area, not even taking a look and driving off into the suburbs?

At least check it out.
I just posted something on another thread about actually taking into consideration what the OP is asking for before just throwing out an answer, and here's a good example.

My biggest argument was that it's the opposite of what the OP was asking for. I can't imagine that she'd enjoy staying down there at all, since she wants to go out with her girlfriends and specifically wants to avoid the 20-something crowd. I also didn't get the impression that they're trying to meet men, so I don't think that's a selling point- I'm guessing quite the opposite, actually. It's only in the movies that a bunch of women go out on the town or on a trip with the intention of trolling for husbands (seriously).

They might want to go for a walk in the Gaslamp one day, sure, but as their destination, from what she was asking for? I doubt it.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:59 PM

332 posts, read 632,478 times
I always like to take guests to the Wavehouse in PB, Old Town, The Gaslamp, Seaport Village, and Coronado. You can have fun there whether you're 21, 41, or 61 IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego