Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 10:36 PM

29 posts, read 66,656 times

Advertisements

It's official...we will be moving to San Diego from New Jersey towards the end of summer. Our house in NJ is sold, but we've yet to figure out where we're going to live in S.D. I will be working primarily in Oceanside, with semi-frequent trips to L.A. She is a nurse, and she hopes to land a job either at Scripps Hospital in Encinitas, or perhaps another hospital in North County with a N.I.C.U. We have a young son who will start kindergarten in the fall of '15.

We can afford to buy a house in the 500k range, and we've narrowed our search to San Marcos and Carlsbad. A 3 bedroom suits us just fine, as we're probably not having any more kids. More importantly, we want to live in a family-oriented community where our son will have lots of other kids his age to play with. People have told us "you can't go wrong in Carlsbad," but we looked at a couple different communities, and some of them had more of a retirement feel to them. Poinsettia Heights was nice, but probably just out of our price range. Calavera Hills is a possibility, but we both agree that having a walkable community appeals to us, and I'm not sure Calavera Hills has that.

In San Marcos, there are two areas of interest; San Elijo Hills and Discovery Hills. We are not snooty people at all, but San Elijo seems ideal except for the price. And there have been some town homes there in our price range. San Elijo is definitely a front runner. Can anyone shed some light on Discovery Hills? I know the schools are good and the neighborhood is safe, but is there anything within walking distance? We have cars, we just like having places we can walk to. Parks, restaurants, coffee shops, and a pub would be amazing..

I've also come to learn about the massive construction project that is slated to begin this year in San Marcos. It appears that the Discovery Hills area will be very close-by, although I suppose it could be many years before shops and restaurants are open for business. Are residents of San Marcos excited about the project?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 10:15 AM

27 posts, read 176,061 times
I can only speak to Calavera Hills. We recently left that area after 14 years due to its lack of walkability. Potentially you could walk to the elementary school, middle school, high school, and the park, but there are some rather large hills to traverse. Also a lot of the roads in the area are used by through traffic that tend to drive fairly fast, something I would be concerned about with a small child.

There are food/shopping options within moderate walking or easy biking distance but between the terrain challenges and busy streets it probably won't be something you would do often as a family.

We found the bus routes from there to be pretty useless as well. For instance, to go 3 miles to the beach requires 2-3 bus transfers. So you would definitely be relying on your car for most things. I should say that if you want to walk for just pure enjoyment or exercise it is an OK place for that.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:32 PM

162 posts, read 212,911 times
At 500k you will be priced out of Carlsbad. Since you are working in Oceanside you could also look at Vista, Escondido and Oceanside as well. You could even look at Temecula or Murrieta since it would be the opposite traffic commute.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:10 PM

29 posts, read 66,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chili View Post
At 500k you will be priced out of Carlsbad. Since you are working in Oceanside you could also look at Vista, Escondido and Oceanside as well. You could even look at Temecula or Murrieta since it would be the opposite traffic commute.
Thanks for the suggestion, but we've ruled out living in those other communities. Carlsbad does have several townhomes for sale in our price range.

And thanks Chips, for the info on Calavera Hills.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 8,455 times
Smile Carlsbad v San Marcos

We've moved to San Diego County in this past year. We lived 4 months in Oceanside (and couple months in east SD temporarily) before my spouse found a job in Solana Beach. So now we're trying to decide where to get an apartment, and we're looking at some of the same places you are. One of the big things that hasn't been mentioned is that there is basically up to a 20 degree temperature difference between Carlsbad coast and the San Marcos/Escondido area. That's a slight exaggeration, but not much. I was in El Cajon last week and it was 97 degrees and in Solana Beach where my husband was working he was enjoying 70 degrees (literally according to a weather app, not an estimate). The further you go inland the temperature goes up substantially in the summertime. The difference between Oceanside/Vista is even quite marked (+15 degrees or more).

San Marcos is a lot of new construction and strip malls. It honestly reminds me a lot of Arizona (where I lived for 10 years). It's very gated neighborhood, adobe walls/structures and quite residential. It is also pretty because there are a lot of hills/mountains. I am not one for heat over 90 degrees, so I'd probably be running the air conditioner a lot in the summer. The utility bills are cause for concern. Lots of car driving is imminent. There's not a good freeway that runs from San Marcos to Oceanside so you're stuck with boulevards for 10 miles until you meet up with the freeway. Along the coast you have I-5 or the coast highway to go north/south.

Meanwhile, Carlsbad is just a gorgeous beach area. You are going to get some older construction than San Marcos and some "beach bungalow" types of neighborhoods. You are going to have people walking down the sidewalks in wet suits carrying surf boards and you'll be able to enjoy awesome fish tacos in an open air restaurant. Encinitas has a wonderful park, Cottonwood, that we take our son to all the time. The weekends are jam packed with cars near the coast as everyone wants to enjoy the weather. Probably way worse in the summertime. Carlsbad has an "beach life" feel, while San Marcos has a suburban bedroom community feel.

I also understand that the schools in Carlsbad are very good. This is something you should check on before you choose a neighborhood. We have one 7 yr old child and we homeschool, so that wasn't as much of concern. Also, in Carlsbad you have the Coaster which is a commuter train that runs from Oceanside down through Encinitas into San Diego right along the coast. So if you're commuting to Oceanside/Encinitas you'd have the option of taking the train. (I think the Sprinter goes inland, but honestly I probably wouldn't bother taking more than one train if it were me).

If it were me, I would go with a 2 bedroom or 2 bedroom/den and try to get the nicest condo in Carlsbad that I could afford. (meaning I could buy a better 2 bedroom with the $ than a 3 bedroom). We're looking at renting a 2/2 along the coast because I figured if we're going to live in this beautiful coast area, why not go with beach living instead of trying to do the 3bed 2000sq foot suburban living thing we left behind in the Midwest? Good luck, you'll love the weather here (I lived in Garfield, NJ for several months).

Old 04-16-2014, 01:33 PM

162 posts, read 212,911 times
If you are ok with a townhome then I would go with Carlsbad, it's a great area.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:15 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,921,563 times
Our oldest daughter used to rent a 2br, 2ba, apartment in Carlsbad. It was about a mile walk to downtown and a couple of blocks to the lagoon. 2 Years ago, her rent was 1200, but was going up. They bought a nice townhome in the Shadow Ridge area of Vista. A few miles inland made a huge difference is the number of sunny days. The schools are good and there are alot of amenities that come with a huge, planned community. Our other daughter, who btw is a nurse at Scripps-La Jolla, lives in San Marcos, near San Marcos High, in a very nice older (70ish) neighborhood. They can see San Elijo and Discovery Hills from their backyard. They are also close to Lake San Marcos and use their golf course quite frequently.
500k will definitely limit your options as the prices have been increasing substantially in the last 2 years. I can understand the attraction of beach living though. Lots of energy and nothing better than a clear day sitting on the sand, and watching the waves. Good luck on your search.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:37 PM

434 posts, read 988,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar33 View Post
We've moved to San Diego County in this past year. We lived 4 months in Oceanside (and couple months in east SD temporarily) before my spouse found a job in Solana Beach. So now we're trying to decide where to get an apartment, and we're looking at some of the same places you are. One of the big things that hasn't been mentioned is that there is basically up to a 20 degree temperature difference between Carlsbad coast and the San Marcos/Escondido area. That's a slight exaggeration, but not much. I was in El Cajon last week and it was 97 degrees and in Solana Beach where my husband was working he was enjoying 70 degrees (literally according to a weather app, not an estimate). The further you go inland the temperature goes up substantially in the summertime. The difference between Oceanside/Vista is even quite marked (+15 degrees or more).

San Marcos is a lot of new construction and strip malls. It honestly reminds me a lot of Arizona (where I lived for 10 years). It's very gated neighborhood, adobe walls/structures and quite residential. It is also pretty because there are a lot of hills/mountains. I am not one for heat over 90 degrees, so I'd probably be running the air conditioner a lot in the summer. The utility bills are cause for concern. Lots of car driving is imminent. There's not a good freeway that runs from San Marcos to Oceanside so you're stuck with boulevards for 10 miles until you meet up with the freeway. Along the coast you have I-5 or the coast highway to go north/south.

Meanwhile, Carlsbad is just a gorgeous beach area. You are going to get some older construction than San Marcos and some "beach bungalow" types of neighborhoods. You are going to have people walking down the sidewalks in wet suits carrying surf boards and you'll be able to enjoy awesome fish tacos in an open air restaurant. Encinitas has a wonderful park, Cottonwood, that we take our son to all the time. The weekends are jam packed with cars near the coast as everyone wants to enjoy the weather. Probably way worse in the summertime. Carlsbad has an "beach life" feel, while San Marcos has a suburban bedroom community feel.

I also understand that the schools in Carlsbad are very good. This is something you should check on before you choose a neighborhood. We have one 7 yr old child and we homeschool, so that wasn't as much of concern. Also, in Carlsbad you have the Coaster which is a commuter train that runs from Oceanside down through Encinitas into San Diego right along the coast. So if you're commuting to Oceanside/Encinitas you'd have the option of taking the train. (I think the Sprinter goes inland, but honestly I probably wouldn't bother taking more than one train if it were me).

If it were me, I would go with a 2 bedroom or 2 bedroom/den and try to get the nicest condo in Carlsbad that I could afford. (meaning I could buy a better 2 bedroom with the $ than a 3 bedroom). We're looking at renting a 2/2 along the coast because I figured if we're going to live in this beautiful coast area, why not go with beach living instead of trying to do the 3bed 2000sq foot suburban living thing we left behind in the Midwest? Good luck, you'll love the weather here (I lived in Garfield, NJ for several months).
Nice post, northstar, but what about Highway 78? It's three lanes each way. Kind of an odd comment. No need to take surface streets for 10 miles. Not to mention, one can park at a Sprinter stop in SM and go to the beach in Oceanside without having to park there.
VFR: Sounds like you know someone who lives near us.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:05 AM

788 posts, read 1,876,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar33 View Post

My 2 cents:

A) Carlsbad, like San Marcos or South Vista or central Oceanside is the epitome of suburban sprawl. It has the lowest population density amongst coastal SD cities and its downtown is very small relative to its total population and area. Furthermore, there is minimal difference in building materials (stucco) in almost every new North County development.

B) Regarding weather, SM does not have Escondido weather. Secondly, it is important to realize the trade off. 2+ months of marine layer on the coast versus 2 weeks (max) of 90+ temps inland. The coast is also quite chilly throughout the weather, while it will stay more mild inland (during the day.)

C) Carlsbad definitely has a "beach life" feel, but it's NOT a beach town. I would say around 75+% of development and neighborhoods have nothing to do with the beach. Seeing surfers in wetsuits further than 5 blocks from the beach is just weird. I can't imagine seeing a wetsuit in Calavera, Bressi, or La Costa... Plus, given the budget of the OP, living that close to the beach doesn't really seem like an option. You don't have to live near the coast to experience this any day of the week. That's why San Diego is so great- the beach is close for everyone!

I think you're description of Carlsbad more accurately fits Encinitas, Leucadia, or Solana Beach.

D) The 78 runs directly from SM to Oceanside with relatively light traffic, as opposed to I-5, which is very congested during the summer. Traveling from SM east is a different story, however...

Old 04-19-2014, 12:04 PM

434 posts, read 988,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanifin View Post
My 2 cents:

A) Carlsbad, like San Marcos or South Vista or central Oceanside is the epitome of suburban sprawl. It has the lowest population density amongst coastal SD cities and its downtown is very small relative to its total population and area. Furthermore, there is minimal difference in building materials (stucco) in almost every new North County development.

B) Regarding weather, SM does not have Escondido weather. Secondly, it is important to realize the trade off. 2+ months of marine layer on the coast versus 2 weeks (max) of 90+ temps inland. The coast is also quite chilly throughout the weather, while it will stay more mild inland (during the day.)

C) Carlsbad definitely has a "beach life" feel, but it's NOT a beach town. I would say around 75+% of development and neighborhoods have nothing to do with the beach. Seeing surfers in wetsuits further than 5 blocks from the beach is just weird. I can't imagine seeing a wetsuit in Calavera, Bressi, or La Costa... Plus, given the budget of the OP, living that close to the beach doesn't really seem like an option. You don't have to live near the coast to experience this any day of the week. That's why San Diego is so great- the beach is close for everyone!

I think you're description of Carlsbad more accurately fits Encinitas, Leucadia, or Solana Beach.

D) The 78 runs directly from SM to Oceanside with relatively light traffic, as opposed to I-5, which is very congested during the summer. Traveling from SM east is a different story, however...
Just a quick note on Carlsbad. I'll assume your # is accurate regarding population density, but Carlsbad's general plan calls for about 40 percent of land to remain as open space. My point: perhaps low density still but it's not like those 110,000 people are spread among every nook and cranny of town. I know with all the growth over the years, that 40 percent # is kinda hard to believe. The city is pretty much built out. There's some new homes coming to La Costa. There are a few other small spots around, but there's no more room for Bressi-size, or even close to Bressi-size developments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego