Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 10:07 AM

268 posts, read 358,200 times

Advertisements

Hi All, we are moving to the SD area and I was wondering on what people think about Point Loma. The schools seem not too bad and the only negative I see is that some house are in the flight path. We love the fact that its close to SD DT and It seemed like a quick drive to my work (25 min to Rancho Bernardo).
Is it a neighborhood that is up comming? I would appreciate any thoughts as most threads are 7-9 years old!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 12:01 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
Yes your description seems accurate enough. I would not say up-and-coming, but more established with both families and retirees. You may want to consider other neighborhoods that fit same criteria (close to DT, good RB commute, good schools). What are your other preferences, criteria?

Old 04-17-2014, 12:51 PM

well walkability is high and mostly schools. We love DT but the schools are bad ( we have a child entering into K). I couldn`t even find a private school in DT. Some good schools require a lottery to get in...

Old 04-17-2014, 03:44 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
^ Not quite. Mission Hills is very walkable with good schools and neighborhoody. Specific school options are public Grant K-8 and Old Town Academy K-8. Also Roosevelt Middle. I'm navigating high schools now and satisfied with options.
Where do you reside now?

Old 04-17-2014, 05:21 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaya97 View Post
well walkability is high and mostly schools. We love DT but the schools are bad ( we have a child entering into K). I couldn`t even find a private school in DT. Some good schools require a lottery to get in...
Only public charter schools require a lottery and this is by state law [they are state funded]. The better charter schools have a waiting list [such as Explorer Elementary which is in the Pt Loma area and is a highly regarded school]. It's true, too, that charter school applications are usually processed by March. But you could check the charter school list and see if there are any spots in a school that you like.
Charter Schools in San Diego County (CA Dept of Education)

Also, downtown is only recently 'gentrified' [last 15 years or so] and prior to that wasn't even a spot considered for living. It's quite small geographically so yea, the school access isn't great. [Whichis also why there are no private schools. It's a very small area that doesn't have a historical community feel to it at all-]. BUT, you can open enroll in SD city schools. The criteria is finding a non-neighborhood school that provides something your local school cannot. [for high school, I know people who open enrolled into La Jolla high for example, by choosing Latin language classes not available at their local HS.]
There are also plenty of private schools just outside of downtown-mission hills has a few, including montessori. though the older part of the city tends to have catholic private schools. La Jolla has many, naturally, as well.
Not sure how that works for lower grades-but probably somewhere on the internet there is a forum discussing the logistics/specifics-ie, how to get into open enrollment school SD' would be a good search term. Then you can apply to a school of your choice in the district, depending on where you want to drive to from Pt Loma.
Neighborhood Schools and Enrollment Options / School Choice/Open Enrollment Act

Another option is one of the many good magnet schools in SD city. The language academy in the college area, Longfellow k-8 in bay park, etc. They are listed in the SD city schools website.
School Directory / Overview
Urban dwellers who want the best of both [good schools/family area and urban amenities] learn to be savvy and flexible when it comes to schooling options. I got tired of the whole routine and moved from urban SD to carmel valley where my kids now attend school. lol. But, I consider that school flexibility a necessity when living in the city. The idea that your kids will attend one school district in their neighborhood k-12 these days is not as common in general-except for the suburbs.

As for Pt Loma-plenty of families live there and I wouldn't say it's up and coming. It's long established and has always had a desirable enclave element to it. But it's not a destination school district/area for incoming families or anything. The flight path is pretty significant [I couldn't/wouldn't do it-not for what it costs to rent/buy there, that's for sure.]. Same with the parts fo mission hills affected by the flights]. So be sure you research well and spend time there at different times of day, to be sure you can handle the particular street/area you choose.

Barnard elementary in Pt Loma, while perhaps not ranking high on great schools dot org [i have not checked, just guessing] did have a makeover several years ago and began offering mandarin chinese 4x/week and is considered a city 'magnet' school of choice. Though the ratings are low, the program may be good. Might be worth looking into further. Good luck!

Commuting to RB, btw: RB is surrounded by communities will top schools. You probably know this and refuse to do suburbs. Just mentioning though-b/c, win win-you get lots of open space/clean parks for the kids to enjoy, that you dont' have to share with homeless and/or meth addicts/zillions of small dogs [the ratio of open space is higher in the burbs, too. so you are not competing for a smaller space just to enjoy] and you'd have virtually no commute. Your commute from Pt Loma might be heavy for some of the 5 north-but 56 east would be a breeze. Not sure if it might take a bit longer than 25 minutes, though, depends on your work hours. Anyway, best wishes with your plans.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:25 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,406,148 times
Getting out of Point Loma to the freeway on ramps is a bear. There is nothing convenient about getting into and out of Point Loma unless you are headed Downtown. People move to Point Loma because of the desirability of that location not for any reasons of convenience getting to the freeways.

Point Loma isn't "up and coming", it's "there and arrived."

Old 04-21-2014, 09:17 AM

Thanks very very much for all your answers!
I am starting next week and wil look around at night.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:21 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
It would be a big plus if you like hilly terrain cause there's not too much flat in PL.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:02 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Pt Loma (as in 92106) is a really mixed area and we spend a lot of time there.

Loma Portal is probably the area that has the most rentals and lesser expensive housing relative to other parts of the zip code. Are you looking at buying or renting?

It can get better overall in terms of infrastructure improvements, but definitely not what I would consider up and coming in terms of value proposition. Its an area of extremes and I think if you had the money to live there, would really really want to live there.
In many ways Pt Loma can be as isolated as Coronado depending on how are down Rosecrans you may live.

IMHO, the most kid friendly part of Pt Loma is Liberty Station. Its fairly self contained with housing and shopping.

Yes it is right in the flight path and its LOUD from the take offs. I think the first few times will definitely get your attention but after that due to the repetition and frequency of take offs, it gets more 'normal' and filtered.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:40 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
I'm surprised no one mentioned prices. Unless your staying on the base, Point Loma Can get real expensive Renting or purchasing.
Not the best band for your buck if you truly want to enjoy what San Diego has to offer imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego