Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 10:13 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,433,414 times

Advertisements

Ok, they contract, but there are 6-7 policeman that are omnipresent and feel like an extension of the town.

Try speeding down Espola on a weekday or drive buzzed on Twin Peaks and get introduced to one of the regular checkpoints.

You wont see alot of panhandlers in Poway either; RB (city of San Diego) has a couple that are regulars and have been there for many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 02:44 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
By D.C. standards, all of the areas you're looking are very safe. La Jolla has a few bums, but so do all the beach towns, and La Jolla is a little stuffy and overpriced unless you're counting the UTC/UCSD area as La Jolla.

My own recommendation would be Carmel Valley - beautiful scenery, close to the beach but not on it, fairly close to the city, and somewhat upscale but not ridiculously priced.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:06 PM

192 posts, read 251,595 times
It's not only North County that's safe. Actually, I believe after being here a year, mostly living alone until my hubby could move, all San Diego is relatively safe. I've never felt scared or threated. I lived in Bay Park - Clairemont Drive/Iroquois Area. It was very urban from where I moved from (rural Northern California). I lived by myself and was able to walk my dog at 2 am without any issue. I also did the crime mapping before I moved to that condo and it was low on crime for a pretty densely populated area. It even had less crime than the apartment complex I was looking at in La Jolla (La Jolla Colony). I had a 2/1.5 2 story condo and it rented for $1650/mo. But, it wasn't at all updated (built in 70's). The newer townhouses across the street went for around $2600/mo. This area is so convenient to everything. I recommend it!
Crime Mapping - Building Safer Communities!

I am now living in a single family home in the Serra Mesa neighborhood. It's a little more inland than where I was before but single family homes are more affordable here. I pay $2350 for a 3/2 w/ yard & garage, totally remodeled last year. The house directly across from us is for rent, same layout as ours, remodeled same time as ours for $2600, but they don't have air conditioning and the yard is smaller. Anyway, our neighborhood is very safe. Lots of military and young families. It's very convenient to Mission Valley and all the shopping/activities. It took 15 minutes to get to the beach on July 3rd. So, all in all, no complaints. It's not the fanciest area but it works and it's safe.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:20 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,433,414 times
I agree that it's harder to find unsafe areas in San Diego as opposed to safe ones. We are consistently one of the safest largest cities in America.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:50 PM

98 posts, read 215,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtoCAsoon View Post
Hi all,

Let me first say that from this post, I am looking for some true advice about my apartment search in San Diego. I hope this thread can stay focused on the topic at hand, at least as focused as the internet can be in a forum. I am genuinely looking for good information so I can make the best decisions about moving from the DC area to San Diego.

So, I am an incredibly paranoid person who needs to have a very safe area to live. I will be moving with my boyfriend, but I need to feel safe if I walk around at night alone or if I'm home alone. I know San Diego is a relatively safe city to live in the US, but I do read about unsafe-ish areas on forums.

One thing I've noticed is that (I might be wrong) the actual downtown doesn't seem to be the focus or main appeal of San Diego to its residents. It seems like the other neighborhoods are just as or more sought after for living, work, or fun.

Beyond beaches, where are the neighborhoods with a lot of good social activities (not just bars)? I had the perception before visiting that it would have all been downtown and around Balboa Park.

Ok, getting to the point. My boyfriend and I are looking for an apartment that is 2 bedrooms or at least 900ft. Our budget is $2000 max. Obviously we don't want to live in an area where it's all schools and strip shopping, though we don't have to be right in the most happening part of town.

Today we rode the trolley green line from Rio Vista and went east. We got off at Grossmont and actually looked at an apartment right on the line. It seemed nice, although I wonder if it's a little too suburban or far from any excitement (I have no idea about this). We then rode south on the orange line and got off at Imperial. I was not a huge fan of downtown. I didn't feel super at-home in this part of town.

We are going to explore the beaches and other more northern areas later this week. I'd love to know where very safe areas are. I don't really need to hear about bad areas, because that's when these forums seem to get into arguments. I just want to know which areas will have incredibly safe areas that will let us have a sizable apartment for under 2000/month.

Thanks in advance for any help!
North Park!!!! I love North Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego