Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 04:52 PM

5 posts, read 18,043 times

Advertisements

First off, I would REALLY appreciate any advice you can give! I know this post may seem long but I'm kind of desperate for some good information.

Currently, I live in Arlington, VA. The reasons I love living here:

My job is good (pay, benefits, interesting)
Public Transportation (I NEVER have to use my car, i live near the metro)
Lots of Young People (as am I, i'm 25)
Lots of Single People (as am I)
Close to a big city

Reasons I don't like living here:

I can't ride my motorcycle year round
The weather sucks in the winter
I'm kind of burnt out on the east coast (grew up in pittsburgh)
Kind of burnt out on DC
Sick of DC traffic
Very materialistic area (That's DC for ya - or maybe its just like that in any big city?)

I want to try something new. I don't have any real attachments to the DC area except my job. I've been thinking San Diego or Austin Texas for a June move.

Here's my deal. I'm a computer engineer (Penn State), got my masters degree, I have a TS clearance so I think san diego would be an ideal place being that there is a lot of gov't work and I hear there is a lot of computer work there.

My questions to all of you...

Where can I live that is a young oriented area - kind of like arlington, VA - that is near everything - and just plain cool for a 25 yr old single guy to live? I'm not too worried about rent. I'd like to live by myself, but I could compromise if i have to. Currently I have a roommate in a townhouse paying ~$1200 each per month, including utilities. I would like somewhere cheaper, but could handle it if it was the same amount of $. An apartment or studio would be just fine with me.

Secondly, what is the job market in san diego like for computer engineers/computer science/software? TS clearance holders? (I don't necessarily have to do gov't work - actually would prefer not to, but more than open to the idea)

What is the singles scene like in San Diego? I would describe DC as actually not being that great. There are tons of singles -- but that's just it! Everyone is so "Power Career" mode that not many people actually get in relationships.

Any problems with a June time frame for moves?

Would I be making a mistake moving to San Diego and leaving my east coast life behind?

I'm not necessarily wanting to live wherever I move for the rest of my life. I'm looking for somewhere I can live for a year or two before I go back to some more grad school.

Thanks in advance for any help/comments/suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 06:26 PM

233 posts, read 885,870 times
Default I hear you

I am moving in August from NJ. I grew up in Queens, NY. The weather sucks big time on the East Coast but not just during Winter. IT IS EITHER TOO HOT, TOO HUMID, TOO COLD, RAINING, SNOWING, ICY, ETC. WE HAVE MAYBE 10 "SAN dIEGO DAYS" A YEAR. THEY HAVE 300.

Also, people on the East Coast are always in a bad mood. Always rushing, blah, blah, blah.

I think you would really like Pacific Beach (PB to the locals). It is a beachy feeling community with tons of young people and lots of night life.

I have done extensive research on moving from coast to coast. Iif you need any specific advice on shipping cars, etc. you can e-mail me at dwatts@sfr1.com.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:41 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltnuke View Post
Secondly, what is the job market in san diego like for computer engineers/computer science/software? TS clearance holders? (I don't necessarily have to do gov't work - actually would prefer not to, but more than open to the idea)
SD is a big military subcontracting town. All the big names are here, Raytheon, Northrop Grumman, Scymitar, etc. Lots of DOD work ranging from the apps / business systems side of the military all the way to command and control, wireless R&D, weapons systems etc. With current TS clearance you will not only have a lot of choices, you can break the sunshine tax salary ceiling as well. Best of luck!

Old 12-19-2007, 11:06 PM

130 posts, read 173,209 times
Default Oh, I wish I was 25 an able to move to SD!!!!

Quote:
I can't ride my motorcycle year round
Very materialistic area (That's DC for ya - or maybe its just like that in any big city?)
Parts of SD can be like this---it depends where you are, and who you interact with...

Quote:
Here's my deal. I'm a computer engineer (Penn State), got my masters degree, I have a TS clearance so I think san diego would be an ideal place being that there is a lot of gov't work and I hear there is a lot of computer work there.
You'll do fine... consider a Phd program at many of the "local" places -- UCSD, for one.

Quote:
Where can I live that is a young oriented area - kind of like arlington, VA - that is near everything - and just plain cool for a 25 yr old single guy to live? I'm not too worried about rent. I'd like to live by myself, but I could compromise if i have to. Currently I have a roommate in a townhouse paying ~$1200 each per month, including utilities. I would like somewhere cheaper, but could handle it if it was the same amount of $. An apartment or studio would be just fine with me.
Yes, San Diego is the place...

I actually sent my oldest son (now 18--he was a La Jollaian from age 5-14) and now I've sent him back out there to my alma mater...but I am worried..this is seriuosly the place to "live life" (luckily the kid is a "straight and narrow" kinda guy!--he didn't do Annapolis because I begged him), find beaut-ti-ful women and become entrenched in hedonism... (wish I was 20 years younger and male!!!!)

So if I was 25, male, wanted to live life in the singles scene... (and I'm a serious rabble rouser, even at a 40-something woman...) I'd take SD ANY day!

Quote:
What is the singles scene like in San Diego? I would describe DC as actually not being that great. There are tons of singles -- but that's just it! Everyone is so "Power Career" mode that not many people actually get in relationships..
Steer clear of "the golden triangle", but YES hit the beaches and clubs..especially downtown in the gaslamp & PB...

Quote:
Any problems with a June time frame for moves?..
there will be waht the locals call "June gloom" on the coast--it's overcast, only in June...don't worry about it....if it bothers you, go inland on your "clubbing forays"...

Quote:
Would I be making a mistake moving to San Diego and leaving my east coast life behind??..
Only if you prefer up-tight weirdos and bad weather to really beautiful women and 7-24-365 motor-cycle weather.

Quote:
I'm not necessarily wanting to live wherever I move for the rest of my life. I'm looking for somewhere I can live for a year or two before I go back to some more grad school.
If you arrive, you'll be hooked...

Good luck...

~Ham Sandwich

Old 12-20-2007, 10:23 AM

35 posts, read 125,993 times
SD sounds like just what you are looking for--lots to do like the DC area, but smaller, much more laid back, and the weather is great! At your age, have fun and try the west coast for a while--see what you think. D.C. has a great singles scene for young professionals, but SD young singles are likely much better looking and less uptight. Rental market is similar to Arlington's.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:30 AM

Thank You so much for the replies so far. It is really appreciated - you don't know how hard it is to find opinions on these things - it is quite valuable.

Right now, one of the things I really love about where I live in Arlington is the fact that I don't have to drive anywhere. Now, I realize that SD doesn't have a Metro system like DC... what do most people do when they hit the bars? Taxis?

Some suggestions on where to live would be nice. I'm only going to have my motorcycle probably - which means I don't want the commutes to be such that I am sitting in traffic to for too too long. Location is very important to me and I'm willing to pay $$$ for it. The beach would be great, but which one? I want something that is hip and is where young people generally go.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:53 AM

17 posts, read 68,855 times
I understand what you mean about the weather and east coast. San Diego has DC beat on those levels. But don't think you're going to rid yourself of the traffic or materialistic people in San Diego. The traffic is just as bad, and quite unfortunately, the people are MUCH more materialistic in San Diego. Worse yet, San Diego is vastly conservative. People here are very holier-than-thou. Another batch of people are rich and narcissistic. There are only a few select areas in San Diego where you can find 'normal' people (i.e. North Park, Hillcrest, areas around there, and maybe parts of North County).

Old 12-20-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric7778 View Post
I understand what you mean about the weather and east coast. San Diego has DC beat on those levels. But don't think you're going to rid yourself of the traffic or materialistic people in San Diego. The traffic is just as bad, and quite unfortunately, the people are MUCH more materialistic in San Diego. Worse yet, San Diego is vastly conservative. People here are very holier-than-thou. Another batch of people are rich and narcissistic. There are only a few select areas in San Diego where you can find 'normal' people (i.e. North Park, Hillcrest, areas around there, and maybe parts of North County).
You are saying the traffic is just as bad in San Diego as DC? I thought Boston, Atlanta and LA were only worse than DC. The beltway is one scary thing during rush hour. I know lots of people who live here who commute more than one hour each way to work and back everyday.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:59 AM

Regarding the singles scene, I agree there are beautiful women in San Diego. But what good does that do when they are not receptive? I found the women in places like DC and Chicago to be much more pleasant to talk to. I also do not appreciate plastic surgery, and you have a lot of that in San Diego.

The only way to make it in the San Diego social scene is to inherit a large group of friends. People just don't go out to the bars to meet other people in San Diego, like they do on the east coast. People more often meet through friends and private parties. There is a stigma with meeting people at bars in San Diego. The nightlife in San Diego is not nearly what it is on the east coast, or in Chicago, for example. One-on-one dating doesn't happen as much out here. Men and women tend to go out in groups together, rather than have one on one dates. It is very strange, actually. No other city I've lived in was quite like it.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:02 PM

The traffic in San Diego is pretty bad. Yes, it is probably worse in Boston and DC. It is still bad here. If you are on a motorcycle you are allowed to drive in-between lanes in California, so you should have no problems.

Honestly, though, if I were you I would consider other cities too, like Seattle, or Phoenix. You may be disappointed at how VERY, VERY expensive it is out here, how high the taxes are (9.3% state income tax), and how conservative the politics are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego