Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 03:08 PM

358 posts, read 584,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Atmospheric dynamics are complicated, VERY complicated, so trying to narrow the concept of a whole huge systemic shift down to a single easy-to-relate-to term for joe public is kind of hard.

Climate change is the preferred term because most people can't wrap their heads around the fact that a rise in the average global temperature would mean colder and more severe winters in some areas, and drought and heat in others, and more frequent ice storms in others, and more or less rain in others. People would hear "warming" and then stop listening, or not actually care enough to comprehend, then throw a fit when it's actually colder than normal where they live. Just like "El Niño". It turns into a buzzword that nobody understands but everyone's an expert on because some folks were yelling at each other on CNN about it.

**Only commenting on the terminology, not whether I think climate change is real or not, because I do not feel like debating that point here.
I agree with you that atmospheric dynamics are very complicated. To wrap such a complicated subject in terms like "global warming" or "climate change" is not very good IMHO. I would much rather they call it atmospheric dynamics. Then it can't be used politically to convince J6pack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 03:16 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docmcstuffin View Post
I agree with you that atmospheric dynamics are very complicated. To wrap such a complicated subject in terms like "global warming" or "climate change" is not very good IMHO. I would much rather they call it atmospheric dynamics. Then it can't be used politically to convince J6pack.
Atmospheric dynamics is what happens in the atmosphere all the time, and what drives the climate system. The terminology we're discussing involves describing a shift or change in the climate system due to a change or shift in one or more of the (in this case, chemical) factors that drives atmospheric dynamics, so using "atmospheric dynamics" to describe that shift or change would not be appropriate.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:50 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Isn't there some pretty nasty residue that comes from desalination plants? I think I remember reading that years ago - - I always thought that that would be the solution for the coast, but if I remember correctly, there were some real negatives to what was left after making the potable water.
A possible solution could be to remove it to places already so salty naturally nothing lives, like parts of Utah. Or mid-Ocean in the area that the plastic congregates already in the Pacific but I've also read that is an area that may be used by certain fish to spawn.

signed,

Joe6pk

Old 09-03-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Atmospheric dynamics is what happens in the atmosphere all the time, and what drives the climate system. The terminology we're discussing involves describing a shift or change in the climate system due to a change or shift in one or more of the (in this case, chemical) factors that drives atmospheric dynamics, so using "atmospheric dynamics" to describe that shift or change would not be appropriate.
My point is, the terminology should be complicated to convey the complexity of the problem. I'm not trying to say I know what's the best term we should use. But I know "global warming" and "climate change" aren't it. Terms like "global warming" and "climate change" doesn't do anything other than to give J6pack and politician a talking point. What's the point to the term "climate change" when every single point in the history of the earth, climate has been changing.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Isn't there some pretty nasty residue that comes from desalination plants? I think I remember reading that years ago - - I always thought that that would be the solution for the coast, but if I remember correctly, there were some real negatives to what was left after making the potable water.
I'm pretty sure we'll find a way to solve that problem. Can't we package that into sea salt and sell it to negate some of the cost of building that plan?

Old 09-03-2014, 05:31 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Solving the brine issue:

Tiny new solar power desalination plant solves gigantic salt problem.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:15 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
NOPE, if it gets that bad they will just start building desalination plants.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:23 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docmcstuffin View Post
My point is, the terminology should be complicated to convey the complexity of the problem. I'm not trying to say I know what's the best term we should use. But I know "global warming" and "climate change" aren't it. Terms like "global warming" and "climate change" doesn't do anything other than to give J6pack and politician a talking point. What's the point to the term "climate change" when every single point in the history of the earth, climate has been changing.

See, I disagree. I think "climate change" is a pretty accurate description. Perhaps with a modifier, so that people can't pretend that they don't know what it's referring to and use "but climate is always changing" reply as a snarky refutation? Like "modern climate change" or something?

Old 09-04-2014, 12:53 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Quote:
See, I disagree. I think "climate change" is a pretty accurate description. Perhaps with a modifier, so that people can't pretend that they don't know what it's referring to and use "but climate is always changing" reply as a snarky refutation? Like "modern climate change" or something?
This makes far more sense.

In all matters of pop culture and general media chatter, 'modern climate change' sounds totally feasible.

I think where I shut off is when chatter that the 'sky is falling' boils down to picking a side. Finger pointing some human made contributor as to the only reason why the changes are happening when it could be an unknown planetary cycle, emissions, combination etc.

Unfortunately since no one really knows, we can only attempt to deter what we can control in emissions and practices (which is having some kind of measurable impact) and keep measuring those changes to see the correlation of the impact. In any sense it will improve the current state in some way.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:14 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsNStripes View Post
and yet there are still climate-change deniers walking around in their tin foil hats.
And zero growthers and Sacramento liberal politicians claiming the a massive influx of illegals will have no environmental impact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego