Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 07:30 PM

95 posts, read 409,164 times

Advertisements

Sorry this is a very long post. But it's intended only for those who either dream of or are planning to move to San Diego. I want to share mistakes I made and things I discovered in hopes some of you avoid them to clear some common San Diego Myths.

I moved from Las Vegas on January 1, 2005. Like most of you, I was deeply concerned about the cost of living, employment, uprooting from Las Vegas, not knowing anyone here, and the distance to my immediate family.

I consulted with family, friends, and forums similar to this one. The preponderance of advice I received was to stay in Vegas. I heard all the standard Anti--San Diego advice: "It's too expensive", "It's hard to make it there", & "Southern Californians are fake." This along with my own career misgivings made it an incredibly difficult choice to make. Bare in mind that in 2005 the California real estate market was insanely overvalued, making my choice even harder.

Ultimately, I decided that in life it's mostly the things we don't do that we end up regretting most. Accordingly, I decided to move.

I spent the ladder part of 2004 finding a job. I found that employers are hesitant to take a chance on people transplanting to San Diego. What they fear is that you're going to change your mind in a few months and hightail it back "home." I overcame this obstacle by signing up for local volunteer groups, and enrolling in a couple of classes at Mesa College. I contacted both inform them I'd volunteer and start class, contingent a job offer. This allowed me to establish ties in the community and note this on my resume.

The first real surprise I encountered was the reasonable cost of living. Most of the information about San Diego's cost of living is erroneous at best. The real estate market took a steep dive after 2006. For example, I recently closed on a 2 bedroom, 1275 SF condo in Pacific Beach for $232K. I could have gotten an even better deal or bigger place if I opted for a non--beach community.

As for my concern about being a stranger--well, that was quickly resolved. It's hard not to meet people right away. There's so much going on, so much to do, and neighborhood festivals on a regular basis. You will meet both locals and transplants as well. Also, San Diego is not LA! I can't stress that enough. People unfamiliar with California lump San Diego and LA together. In actuality, they are worlds apart. LA is about designer sunglasses and flashy outfits. SD is about flip flops and t-shirts.

One disappointing discovery I made was how overrated living at the beach can be. It's great to live close to the beach as I do know, but I have no desire to ever be next to the water. While there is nothing like the continuous sound of the surf, other things make it a bad deal. I hated the fact that I paid $1600 a month for a beach side apartment and my neighbors only two blocks down paid $1050 for a comparable place. Nobody told me that after living at the beach for a couple of months, my car would begin to corrode from salt. No amount of seal or protection works, either. After a few weeks of living at the beach, you will grow to hate tourists. Sorry, but it's true--especially after Memorial Day when you see more Arizona plates on the street than anything else. Tourists in San Diego get drunk and get loud. Also, the constant marine layer becomes an unwelcome companion. While downtown San Diego will be 72 and sunny, it's 65 and cloudy at the beach.

As for family, get ready to have lots of family visiting you all the time. With year round ideal weather and all the great things you will report back to your family, it's bound to happen. Also, Lindbergh Field is a relatively small airport and isn't a nightmare to navigate like other airports.

I've already taken up too much of your time so I'll end it there. Feel free to reply or message me if you have other specific questions.

In summary, moving to San Diego was the scariest but best life choice I have ever made. I was compelled to move here for the same reasons you want to come here. The #1 piece of advice I can give you if you decide to move here, is to stick it out. It is tough at first, but if you persevere, you will be paid off big.

AJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 10:20 PM

6 posts, read 52,599 times
Hi ajnsd,
Your post is not long at all. In fact, I wish it were longer . Very informative and encouraging!!!
Hopefully I'll be in San Diego in February and I'm now in the process of finding a safe and affordable neighborhood to rent a room. I'll work in northern part of La Jolla (near Torrey Pines State Park). Like you, being in beach front is not my top priority. Do you have any suggestion? Some kind members on this forum have suggested UTC, PB, and Missionary Hills (I have found that UTC and PB are kinda expensive for me).
Thanks

Old 01-02-2011, 12:47 AM

UTC & PB are likely going to be the most convenient neighborhoods, given your work location. However, these neighborhoods have nothing in common. UTC is geared more for young families or single professionals that don't want the "PB lifestyle." And by that I mean PB is known for it's party scene for college students. Lots of single people in their 20's & 30's. However, that doesn't apply to all of PB. The advantage of living in these neighborhoods for you will be the proximity to your job, thus avoiding freeway traffic. The Golden Triangle is notorious for congested traffic in a small area. If affordability is an important factor for you, then expect a longer commute. If you are okay with that, then you you'll have more options. You should consider maybe Mission Valley, Mission Hills, Carmel Valley, & Serra Mesa. North Park, City Heights, and Kensington are also cool neighborhoods, but further east and closer to I-15.

Whatever you do, don't move to Mission Beach (where I live). I was lured there by relatively low rent, considering how close everyone in MB is to the water. My 2nd floor apartment has an ocean view from one window and a bay view from the other, but it's still not worth it due to the constant noise, scarce parking, and population density. Live and learn I guess.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:10 PM

6 posts, read 14,875 times
Wow! thanks for the great post! We are hoping to move in SD in the next few months. Your post described perfectly some of the feelings I am having now, fear coupled with excitment and longing desire! We try to live by a no regrets philosophy so hopefully it works out for us!

Old 01-03-2011, 07:25 AM

30 posts, read 71,063 times
Very helpful and encouraging post. Thanks!

Old 01-03-2011, 07:58 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,881 times
AJNSD,
Great post with good observations. For those of us moving back or moving to SD for the first time these post are so helpful. I tried giving you more than one Rep, but the system doesn't allow it. Again, Mahalo!

Old 01-03-2011, 11:17 AM

52 posts, read 147,029 times
After a few weeks of living at the beach, you will grow to hate tourists.

AJ[/quote]

Great post! VERY informative!
Since my husband and I live in Napa CA, we won't have a problem with that. In fact, that's one reason why we're moving there. My particular line of business needs tourists.
However, I understand what you mean. The drunken drivers including tourists who know nothing about the area wreak havoc on our roads.

You'll like one of the local's (in Napa) bumper sticker:
"Since it's tourist season, does that mean I get to shoot'em?" Kind of funny.

Glad that you are happy!!!

Old 01-03-2011, 12:04 PM

10 posts, read 30,525 times
This was a great post. And I agree with an earlier reply, if anything it wasn't long enough. We live in NJ and are considering moving to the SD area. Young twin girls, I want them to live an outdoor lifestyle. I do know the area somewhat having lived in Irvine for a few years when I was much younger.

Please share more of your thoughts, impressions and suggestions. Is there anywhere a bit further inland that would be great for raising a young family but not too hot?

Again, thanks for a great post.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:34 PM

Default housing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan in NJ View Post
This was a great post. And I agree with an earlier reply, if anything it wasn't long enough. We live in NJ and are considering moving to the SD area. Young twin girls, I want them to live an outdoor lifestyle. I do know the area somewhat having lived in Irvine for a few years when I was much younger.

Please share more of your thoughts, impressions and suggestions. Is there anywhere a bit further inland that would be great for raising a young family but not too hot?

Again, thanks for a great post.
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the positive feedback, it's much appreciated! As I mentioned in the original post, my aim was to provide level headed information based on my own experiences & mistakes--mostly mistakes. Being someone who has personally gone through the dreaded "relocation" experience, I think I'm in a unique position to comment. Also, I've noticed that a few threads are laden with conjecture and inaccurate information, which isn't fair to members contemplating a major life choice.

Kbroo, after my San Diego relocation was complete and got back to living my life, I eventually arrived at the realization that I spent more mental energy dreading the "what if's" than was necessary. With enough practical preparation, the negative scenarios we envision are unlikely to materialize.

I suppose my comment about hating "tourists" was a bit strong. I don't hate anyone, but sometimes tourist season can become a bit overwhelming. But you will only have that problem if you decide to move to any one of the neighborhoods with tourist attractions, such as Mission Beach, Downtown, La Jolla, and Del Mar.

Duncan, with regards to your question about inland neighborhoods, I'd suggest Rancho Bernardo & Rancho Penasquitos. Both RB & PQ are great neighborhoods for families, have plenty of trails for riding, running, or hiking. Both are part of the Poway School District which is an award winning school district. The 2 drawbacks to consider though are that both RB &PQ are northern San Diego neighborhoods, so you may have a commute which can sometimes be bad on the 15. The second issue is you'll have to deal with San Diego's microclimate. During the summer it does get into the mid 80's in these neighborhoods and then there's the inevitable heat wave where it will soar into the 90's. This usually occurs sometime in August. The rest of the year its idyllic.

I also notice that many people are considered about safe neighborhoods. It's important to keep in mind that San Diego is a very safe city. There just isn't the amount of serious crime there is like in other big cities. That doesn't mean we're spared of it but serious crime is more of an aberration. In San Diego, you are 10 times more likely to have your car broken into than anything else--seemingly happens to everyone here.

No offense to anyone, but as long as you stay away from National City, and some San Diego neighborhoods along the 805/94/5 corridor, most neighborhoods are very safe. I'm not picking on the southern neighborhoods since there are really nice areas in Chula Vista & Eastlake as well. SD residents who move from one part of town to another are generally more concerned about commuting times and housing costs than they are about crime.

San Diego's neighborhoods aren't differentiated by safe vs unsafe but rather working middle class, upper middle class, and La Jolla/Del Mar/Rancho Santa Fe.

I don't think it's a good idea to decide where you want to settle down long term until you've lived out here for at least a year. It's better to rent for one year while you discover the city. The neighborhoods are segmented, which give most communities distinct and unique characteristics. Also, you will discover neighborhoods you've never even heard of. For instance, I didn't discover Tierra Santa until I moved here. Tierra Santa is a working middle class neighborhood that is absolutely gorgeous. I've also heard it called "The Island in the Hills" due to it's unique canyon setting.

Hope that helps. --AJ

Old 01-03-2011, 02:16 PM

5 posts, read 12,597 times
What a great post, with a ton of great replies! Thanks to all, especially ajnsd for starting this. I've lived in L.A. for 10 years now and frankly I love it here, but every single trip I take down to San Diego, I find that I ask myself more and more, "Is there really a nicer place on Earth? What must it be like to live here? I think I'd really like to find out." Seriously, I'm in love with San Diego. I just have NO idea what I would do on a long-term career level. The pondering continues, however... while I may not live there, I can't bear to be away for too long!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego