Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2014, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,034 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Sorry for yet another "moving to San Diego" post, but I've been looking through some past threads and I'm still conflicted on which areas I should be looking into.

I've recently accepted a job offer in the University City area, so I'm really excited to be moving to SD in a couple weeks! I'd like to rent an apartment with a budget of up to ~$1500 or so. About me: I'm a 25 y/o, single female. I'm looking for a place that is friendly and social, though I've left my big partying days back in college (hence why I think I'm apprehensive of PB). Walkability is a nice plus; I'll have a car of course, just hoping to be able to walk to the grocery store, cool restaurants/bars, etc instead of dealing with driving all the time.

I had been looking into the North Park area, though recently I've been reading some things that it might be a bit of a sketchier area. So I was just wondering your thoughts, and of any other areas I should be looking into? Also, what would the commute be like from areas near Balboa Park to University City?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 06:47 PM

38 posts, read 56,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimuntil View Post
Hi all,

Sorry for yet another "moving to San Diego" post, but I've been looking through some past threads and I'm still conflicted on which areas I should be looking into.

I've recently accepted a job offer in the University City area, so I'm really excited to be moving to SD in a couple weeks! I'd like to rent an apartment with a budget of up to ~$1500 or so. About me: I'm a 25 y/o, single female. I'm looking for a place that is friendly and social, though I've left my big partying days back in college (hence why I think I'm apprehensive of PB). Walkability is a nice plus; I'll have a car of course, just hoping to be able to walk to the grocery store, cool restaurants/bars, etc instead of dealing with driving all the time.

I had been looking into the North Park area, though recently I've been reading some things that it might be a bit of a sketchier area. So I was just wondering your thoughts, and of any other areas I should be looking into? Also, what would the commute be like from areas near Balboa Park to University City?

Thanks in advance!
Hello! The areas around Balboa Park are prime urban communities. Hillcrest, Mission Hills, and Little Italy are astute areas of the city. If you're considering those areas, you might also consider East Village. It's one of the busiest locales in the city. Walkability is best in those areas, Mission Hills aside. You're commute is going to average thirty to forty five minutes, depending on traffic... though twenty is certainly possible on a good day.

Another thing to consider is living in UTC. It's the second densest neighborhood in the city though it doesn't have the same urban charm of the aforementioned neighborhoods! Proximity to the beach is definitely a plus. On another note, the blue line of the San Diego trolley system is being extended to UTC from downtown and although not started, should be completed by 2020, lending you another means of transportation.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:22 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,574,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeUSA View Post
Another thing to consider is living in UTC. It's the second densest neighborhood in the city though it doesn't have the same urban charm of the aforementioned neighborhoods!
Where can I find information about neighborhood density? I am surprised that UTC is #2.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:04 PM

38 posts, read 56,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
Where can I find information about neighborhood density? I am surprised that UTC is #2.
Looking at this source you'll find that where Mission Valley used to be the primary dense neighborhood, a population shift lent greater density to downtown and UTC. In just 10 years the density of UTC has increased drastically.

At any rate, Downtown, Mission Valley, and UTC are going to be your most dense locations of San Diego. All have ample activities to partake in. I believe biking trails in all three are established or in the process of establishment. All are also the crossroads of major transportation arteries, which would also explain the reason for their density.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:06 PM

4,540 posts, read 12,406,148 times
I'm not sure where the references to a dense Mission Valley are coming from. The dense area off to the east, is El Cajon. There are a couple of dense areas on the bluffs over looking Mission Valley as part of the SDSU and USD campuses.

Otherwise, the denser areas are Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach, Downtown and Golden Hill, along with the stretch of census tracts between University Avenue and Adams Avenue in North Park, Normal Heights, City Heights, Kensington and Talmadge.

But to the OP's questions. Commuting into the University Town Center area is just a bear. That is where the traffic on the 805 becomes an immovable blockage. I'm not really sure how you thread this needle. If you live in the UTC area, you will find that it is completely car dominated and you will never want to walk anywhere, but it is the only possible location that will keep your commute times down.

If you live near Balboa Park, you will have lovely and mostly safe, walkable urban areas, but your commute will be unpleasant.

My suggestion, live in University Heights, west of Park Boulevard, and take the 163 north and then commute west to the I-5, north on I-5, until you reach Nobel or La Jolla Village Drive. That will avoid the worst of the 805, though the I-5 is no picnic. It will allow for a walkable neighborhood that is nice, but should still be within your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego