Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 06:15 AM

75 posts, read 205,433 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about this location in La Mesa..the intersection of Spring St and University Ave. I am planning on renting a house close to this intersection and would like to know if its a safe neighborhood.

Also, I commute to Kearny Mesa for work, so how bad would the traffic flow be going north?

Any feedback/thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 08:37 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,282,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mover79 View Post
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about this location in La Mesa..the intersection of Spring St and University Ave. I am planning on renting a house close to this intersection and would like to know if its a safe neighborhood.

Also, I commute to Kearny Mesa for work, so how bad would the traffic flow be going north?

Any feedback/thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I use this route to to the Grossmont area all the time from where I live. Its a BUSY intersection most of the time as the 8 is right there combined with University Ave.

Assuming you are going to work with a M-F 8-5 kind of schedule, it could take 30 minutes + to get to KM for a drive that should take no more than 20 mins.
Taking the 8 either way is the challenge as traffic can get pretty thick going in those directions at said times.
Alternately you could back end it and head east on the 8 and connect with the 125 and take the 52 into the KM area, but that also still might jam up with traffic.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:24 AM

Hi, Thanks for the feedback. What about safety? Is that area pretty safe?

Old 08-22-2011, 11:58 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,282,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mover79 View Post
Hi, Thanks for the feedback. What about safety? Is that area pretty safe?
Have you crime mapped the area?

SD (incl La Mesa) has seen an uptick in crime lately, however relative outside the "bubble" of San Diego, its still incredibly safe here generally speaking.

I honestly cant comment on that specific area you are looking in a I just drive through it.

Have you made contact with the landlord? If so ask for references of past tenants. Ask them if there was trouble on that street or house at all.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:27 PM

9,825 posts, read 11,569,318 times
I can chime in on this
This area is one of the most safest in la mesa as it's located in what we call Old la mesa
circa 1950

Down side is,there is a lot of car/street traffic in that particular area.
If you except that going in you'll be fine
Also commuting to kearny mesa i would leave 45 min before my shift as there are always accidents on the 8.
Most of the back up is usually from Lookie Loo's

Old 08-22-2011, 05:37 PM

Location: San Diego via Orange County via Toronto via Rome Italy
390 posts, read 796,272 times
I just moved to Mt Helix (just east of your location) from OC, and unfortunately still need to drive north a couple times a week to wrap up some projects. I wouldn't recommend the 125-52 route during regular commute hours. It's more scenic than 8-805 and pretty fast and reliable in off-peak, but the 52 is just too skinny and during the am/pm peak it backs up a LOT more than 8-805 - at least in my (short) experience.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:00 PM

Thanks. I think I am gonna pass. I took a test drive today during rush hour and it was rough. Overall, it looks safe but the traffic is a deal breaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego