Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 12:07 PM

6 posts, read 35,767 times

Advertisements

So my buddy and I are 25 and looking to move to a new city to start another chapter in our young lives. I currently live in Monterey, CA, and he lives in Atlanta, GA. We don't work in any special fields, but we're college grads with work experience and great ambition. We are both trying to make an argument for which city would be best to live in. Denver or San Diego?

There are going to be positives and negatives about both I know. But taking into account the quality of life factors...cost of living, job opportunities, night life, culture, recreational activities, people attitudes, etc. Which would be the better city to live in? Not visit...LIVE IN

I know San Diego has the best weather in the U.S. Denver is seasonal, but I hear the summer is great and the winter is bearable.

I hear the job market is tough in San Diego, and booming in Denver.

I hear people in San Diego lose ambition because the weather is so nice...does anyone find that to be true?

I could go on forever about this and that, but any thoughts about both cities would be VERY helpful. I'm originally from the Midwest so I might be better suited for a city like Denver, but my pal thinks Midwesterners can fit in just fine in SD. The ideal solution here would be for me to move to Denver and my buddy to SD, but I still want to hear someone's argument for why SD could be a good fit. Being 25, I want to make sure I pick the right city to move to so I can establish myself, and enjoy it at the same time. I know it only matters WHAT I THINK but other people's opinions are very helpful in helping me make a decision....THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 04:35 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus82 View Post
I hear the job market is tough in San Diego, and booming in Denver.
I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but that's not what I'm hearing at all. Go to the Denver forum and search their archives-- the employment market in Denver right now seems to be VERY tough, especially for out-of-staters wanting to move there.

Quote:
I hear people in San Diego lose ambition because the weather is so nice...does anyone find that to be true?
That is pure environmental determinism bullcrap.

Quote:
I could go on forever about this and that, but any thoughts about both cities would be VERY helpful. I'm originally from the Midwest so I might be better suited for a city like Denver, but my pal thinks Midwesterners can fit in just fine in SD. The ideal solution here would be for me to move to Denver and my buddy to SD, but I still want to hear someone's argument for why SD could be a good fit. Being 25, I want to make sure I pick the right city to move to so I can establish myself, and enjoy it at the same time. I know it only matters WHAT I THINK but other people's opinions are very helpful in helping me make a decision....THANK YOU!
I'm from Denver. I personally think it's a great place to live, but it's an acquired taste. Don't assume that just because Denver is the closest western city to the midwest and it's on the plains that it is more "midwestern" culturally-- that's not necessarily true at all. I suggest you go on their forum, read up some of the archives and ask your question there.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:12 PM
amb

36 posts, read 110,179 times
Default I'm moving from Denver to San Diego.

Our situations are totally different however. I am originally from the San Luis area in California, and have lived in Denver since August. The weather here for me (at least this year) wasn't so bad although I have to say I am really looking forward to being able to wear flip flops year round again.

What sorts of things do you do for fun? Both are pretty large metro areas, and are going to offer clubs, restaurants, etc. How important is the beach to you? In San Diego you have the beach, but you're still close to mountains, and skiing and such. Denver you have the mountains and skiing right here, but no beach obviously.

eh, I don't know if that's any help or not, but there ya' go.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:51 PM

Ha, Thank you for your response. I don't know why I put down the people in SD loosing their ambition...think I just read that somewhere. I've actually talked to a lot of people from So Cal that said the SD job market's tough because a lot of it is technology, medical stuff. I read on a few websites that Denver is a great city for young people because of the growing job market, but they could of been from recent years. You are right....I need to ask my questions on the Denver archives. Thanks

Old 03-31-2008, 11:49 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,737,271 times
You can't go wrong in either city. IMO, both SD and Denver possess a similar vibe and are great for young people. As amb said, you should figure out if you want to have mountains or the ocean in your backyard. While we have mountains, they are NOTHING like the majestic Rockies.

The only things I don't like about Denver is the dry air and location. The perpetual dry air just kills my skin and eyes that lotion and eye drops can prevent. The other is how isolated the city is. There isn't another major city within 600 miles of there! San Diego is fortunate to have to have LA and Palm Springs only two hours away and Vegas less than 5 hours away. Mexico is another destination that is just to our south.

Tough choice for you!

Old 04-01-2008, 09:19 AM
jmc

101 posts, read 862,780 times
I agree with Sdurbanite's post. You really can't go wrong with either city....I've lived in CO Springs (too small for me!) and went to Denver at times. I also lived in San Diego for about 6 years. Loved it there! Both have a fun, hip downtown if you're into that scene. Guess it depends on if you love the beach or love the mountains. Have fun!

Old 04-01-2008, 12:08 PM

5 posts, read 34,782 times
Default I live in Monterey, too...

...and used to live in Denver. Denver is amazing! In fact, I am itching to move back there in roughly two years. San Diego is gorgeous, but far more expensive than Denver (as you could probably guess simply by the cost of living in Monterey.)

One of the only complaint I heard occassionally from guys living in Denver is that men outnumber women, which can make the bar scene a little more competitive for the guys. But, hey, guys love competition, don't they?

The weather in Denver is terrific - especially if you like sunshine. San Diego, which gets a fair amount of sunshine as well, tends to have relatively the same range of temperature all year round. Denver has seasons and winters are not that bad at all.

You should visit Denver sometime and see how you like it. Personally, I'd say move to Denver, but then I'm slightly biased because I absolutely love it there!

Old 04-01-2008, 06:02 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainya234 View Post
One of the only complaint I heard occassionally from guys living in Denver is that men outnumber women, which can make the bar scene a little more competitive for the guys. But, hey, guys love competition, don't they?
The male-female imbalance is a problem in almost every single major city in the west, including San Diego. Take a look at this chart.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:39 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,841 times
Do you want the beach or the mountains? That should pretty much make the decision for you.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:45 PM

Ha thanks for the replies, everyone is right...this is a tough decision! I have always loved the mountains. There is just something about them that fascinates me, and yes I know the ones in SD can't touch the Rockies. Then again, I love the ocean breeze and the warm weather...man I'm in a pickle! Bottom line is I need to spend time in SD, I've never been there before... I think I just need to go down there and try to feel it out. I think my decision though will come down to jobs and cost of living...I have a feeling Denver will have an edge in that department. Thanks for everyone's help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego