Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 09:46 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
That chart can easily be misread. I don't think it the best way to present it as they did. I think it is a good resource nontheless. WOW, look at LA's terrible income situation.
I've met a bunch of people over the last 6 months( including one neighbor)That are all LA transplants.
They always all mention the same Problems with LA:
Bad Traffic
Terrible Job Market for middle/ low middle Job seekers.
Really high Housing and Rent Prices,( even in some parts of South Central)
Imo their are not to many people i know here in San Diego, that Bring home that type of money, Maybe in 2 income house holds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 12:12 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,913,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Where is your source, such as a quote, showing that I or anyone stated SD incomes are amongst the lowest in the nation?
I think sdurbanite is just making his own stories up for whatever reason. Nobody says SD salaries are the lowest in the country, but making $75K in SD is far different than making even $50K in places in the midwest.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:16 PM

268 posts, read 1,133,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
It's like anything. If you are a person who likes living close to a nice beach, an area that has great schools, own a house where you're not bumping into each other, and might have a small yard, you need a lot more than $250K per year in many places in San Diego.

However if you make $150K per year, your spouse makes another $150K per year, you have a lot of savings and stocks, it does't really matter. And it's all BS. I worked for a company where the CEO and other executives bragged about taking pay cuts or minimum wage salaries. It was also the same reasons they used in conferences around why nobody got company bonuses those years. And yet they never mentioned the fact they cashed out almost $1 Million out of say $10 million in their company issued stock. And at a far lower tax rate, they could make it seem like they were making $30K per year to most people, but in reality, they just cashed stock they received as compensation from the company. Good for them, but we've seen politicians talk the same BS when it comes to finances.

It is far easier to throw in "$100K per year" can buy you this, this and that if you know you can cash out a million bucks when you need it. And again, somebody making $150K per year who also has millions in stocks(either issued to them or because of sound investing over the years) is not in the same category as somebody who makes $250K per year but it's all salary and nothing else. And most of these charts and reports never even go into those differences.
Thanks a lot Pedro2000 for your great response. Didn't think about those and now it totally makes sense. So all of these charts/figures really don't reflect the actual picture. Absolute BS!

Old 03-23-2015, 04:27 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
These median income statistics drive me nuts. I would rather see the incomes of an index of:

- 30-50 yr old married couples
- with 1 or more children
- homeowner
- majority of income is from salary (working vs capital gains)

Then you would really start to get a sense of what "normal people" live on.

San Diego has so many trust fund kids, wealthy retirees, equity millionaires, high income DINKs, etc it's just impossible to figure out where one stands. Similar to NYC in that regard.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:47 PM

32 posts, read 61,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
These median income statistics drive me nuts. I would rather see the incomes of an index of:

- homeowner

San Diego has so many trust fund kids, wealthy retirees, equity millionaires, high income DINKs, etc it's just impossible to figure out where one stands. Similar to NYC in that regard.
This comment is a step in the right direction. There are many wealthy kids/retirees/etc. in several areas of San Diego but they're hardly representative of anyone that's not also a wealthy kid/retiree/etc.

Generally speaking, if (like me) you're a recent graduate outside of STEM who has some level of career aspirations, get ready to be very frustrated with available opportunities and salaries. There are very few booming industries in San Diego. Which is ridiculous considering how many universities there are here, and considering we have 2 great community colleges in SDCC and Mesa (I've never been to Miramar or Grossmont).

Old 03-23-2015, 08:55 PM

268 posts, read 1,133,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post

- homeowner

Makes sense.. But just out of curiosity (still new in San Diego), how come equity millionaires ended up in San Diego? Main portion of equity millionaires are from Tech industry (Bay area) and tech scene is very dull here. Or is it like they retired and cashed out their equity and bought a million dollar house in San Diego? Just wondering! !!

Old 03-23-2015, 10:48 PM

686 posts, read 1,138,455 times
I absolutely admire how sdurbanite stands up for their city and calls people out. There is no question San Diego is a fantastic place but it is tough for working people. There is a sunshine tax, no question.

Unfortunately I can only see things getting worse. With the limited land, water and the fact that San Diego has the basics that would appeal to anyone who has made good money in the Bay Area: airport, parks, clean air, restaurants, Uber etc. Look at whats happening in LA and San Diego is a huge bargin compared to that:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...ry.html#page=1

Old 03-24-2015, 03:47 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
I absolutely admire how sdurbanite stands up for their city and calls people out. There is no question San Diego is a fantastic place but it is tough for working people. There is a sunshine tax, no question.

Unfortunately I can only see things getting worse. With the limited land, water and the fact that San Diego has the basics that would appeal to anyone who has made good money in the Bay Area: airport, parks, clean air, restaurants, Uber etc. Look at whats happening in LA and San Diego is a huge bargin compared to that:

More tech industry buyers are snapping up L.A. real estate - LA Times
The Rich getting richer and not distributing the wealth
The People will grow tired of this crap and a revolution will come

Old 03-24-2015, 04:04 PM

813 posts, read 1,273,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
The Rich getting richer and not distributing the wealth
The People will grow tired of this crap and a revolution will come
Russell Brand talk about this revolution on his YouTube channel, The Trews. Interesting stuff.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:45 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
I first heard warnings about this potential revolution in 1969: Poor People's Campaign - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm still waiting ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego