Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 09:35 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,486,143 times

Advertisements

Yes there will be riots in the streets for free smartphones and unlimited data plans for all.

As for equity, not just tech but a lot of real estate equity millionaires in SD as RE is a big business here... multiple properties owned and inherited, small scale real estate developers, lots of investment activity, etc. A lot of people with moderately successful careers have done well with investment property over the past 30 years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 01:48 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,556,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I first heard warnings about this potential revolution in 1969: Poor People's Campaign - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm still waiting ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Yes there will be riots in the streets for free smartphones and unlimited data plans for all.

As for equity, not just tech but a lot of real estate equity millionaires in SD as RE is a big business here... multiple properties owned and inherited, small scale real estate developers, lots of investment activity, etc. A lot of people with moderately successful careers have done well with investment property over the past 30 years
Laugh it up boys! ha! ha!
It going to start after a couple of beers tomorrow, just you wait

Old 03-25-2015, 11:14 AM

1,447 posts, read 2,746,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Laugh it up boys! ha! ha!
It going to start after a couple of beers tomorrow, just you wait
Drink while you can, at the Che Cafe!

Old 03-25-2015, 04:05 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,913,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I first heard warnings about this potential revolution in 1969: Poor People's Campaign - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm still waiting ...
It is very hard in the US because "anything is possible" is always pushed, even though for many people it's just BS. But when you have the mindset of "work hard, make it" it stops a lot of people from doing anything because they believe they will be part of the 1 percent one day.

It's also why if you work and spend time around the world, you notice a huge difference where some countries love the work-lie balance and places like the US just use it as some marketing gimmick. Some countries have about 2 months off for work/holidays, etc whereas in the US most people get about 2 weeks and don't even take that. And now certain companies don't even have Vacation or PTO, but DDO or something. As in Discretionary days off. Which means you really don't have any.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:13 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,913,698 times
Quote:

Or people in their 20s and 30s, even 40s, who had parents or grandparents who moved away or passed away and gave them the properties. Some sold it and made a killing, some turned it into rentals, some just live in it and if you have $0 in expense for mortgage/rent you are far ahead of the game no matter what you make. Yes, taxes will still be a factor, but it becomes such a small part if you have a decent enough career compared to somebody who needs to pay for everything.

That isn't a SD thing, but pretty much standard in most places. It will be interesting to see the next generations who cashed in on a lot of that property, but have nothing to turn over to their own kids. There were plenty of farmers who passed down their small farms and the kids wound up dividing up the property, selling it off to developers, move away and make millions. But they don't have the same land or property to hand off to their own kids or grandkids going forward. YOu even have some wealthy who believe in not giving much to their kid or grandkids at all. It will be fascinating to see how these things play out in the future because, like it or not, a lot of people made money off of real estate in one way or another and going forward, it will be hard to do unless you wind up moving to places like Mexico or other countries where land is far cheaper.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:12 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,743,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Where is your source, such as a quote, showing that I or anyone stated SD incomes are amongst the lowest in the nation?
But aren't you the one who said in another thread that bartenders and bail bondsman are among biggest job sectors in SD? You've also said said there are few high paying jobs here. If you would just back up your claims with facts, I might learn something, but you never do.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:32 AM

Quote:
San Diego has so many trust fund kids, wealthy retirees, equity millionaires, high income DINKs, etc it's just impossible to figure out where one stands. Similar to NYC in that regard.
This applies to every major metro in the country.....DC, Boston, SF, LA, ATL, etc. Of course, census numbers may not always make sense, but at least they are using consistency across the board. I'm mostly interested in seeing how SD stacks up against other cities, taking size and percentages into consideration. I know SD isn't a top tier city, but it sure is nice to be just a notch or two below in many categories.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
I absolutely admire how sdurbanite stands up for their city and calls people out.
I just get bothered by those who try to pass off their opinions as fact. Must be the accountant in me

Old 03-28-2015, 08:15 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,486,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
This applies to every major metro in the country.....DC, Boston, SF, LA, ATL, etc. Of course, census numbers may not always make sense, but at least they are using consistency across the board. I'm mostly interested in seeing how SD stacks up against other cities, taking size and percentages into consideration. I know SD isn't a top tier city, but it sure is nice to be just a notch or two below in many categories.
Absolutely, The problem is that people see a median income of some low number like 60k and say "see! There are tons of people who can afford to live here just fine on 60k", which is true of you have a free house to live in.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:38 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,563,075 times
Sdurban--you must tire of yourself quite easily then. Love how you skew stats to fit your opinion (putting a pretty ribbon on a box) and try passing it off as fact. If you did not selectively edit, as you almost always do, my original post you will see that I included industries besides bartenders, etc. Guess YOU just see what you want to see--should pick your head up from the spreadsheet more often.

Please show me the direct quote --from me--stating there are few high paying jobs here. I might have stated, correctly, there are more high paying jobs in OC but never said there were few high paying jobs in SD. Don't put words in my mouth. And, yes, the service and tourism industries (which includes bartenders) is huge in SD--yes/no/maybe??? With tax season over in a few weeks, I'm sure you will have more time to observe firsthand.

As for the topic of radical change or revolution--don't bet on it. "What's the Matter With Kansas" is a great book that highlights people often vote v their own economic interests. In this case, many/most vote GOP because of God, guns and religion but also buying into the belief wealth will trickle down to them, yet they are still waiting.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-28-2015 at 09:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego