Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 10:05 AM

14 posts, read 13,593 times

Advertisements

Another one of those neighborhood threads, apologies

Give me the reality check good people. Are we deluded, can we make it San Diego (probably too late as we are moving this summer. Simply put, where should we rent?

Our story: I had been to San Diego for business, for two days a couple of years ago, so I knew it was the place I wanted to move my family. Since then, my task had been to sell the idea to the Mrs. After many years of the brutal Minnesota winters; we finally visited your beautiful city as a family March 10th – 22nd --- during the heat wave... Oh was it gorgeous!!! As much as it was a vacation, we spent time scoping out neighborhoods such as Carlsbad, Carmel Valley, Del Sur, UTC, Mira Mesa, Sorrento Valley and some other valleys, can’t remember, Encinitas, Scripps Ranch, Del Mar, Poway, and the areas around UCSD Health system ER (can’t remember the name). We loved most of what we saw, except Mira Mesa!

Our stats: I am in finance, and I will be telecommuting. My wife is presently looking for a job as a Nurse Practitioner (or as soon as she gets her CA RN license, which she applied for in January – why do these take that long, well that’s maybe a topic of its own). We have two girls 3.5ys and 2yrs. 2014 combined income was $156K. As we are selling a home, we have enough equity to pay off all debt, so we hope to be debt free by the move date (knock on wood). We believe a monthly rental of $2,500 - $3,000 would be comfortable though the rentals we liked tend to be in the $3.5K + range per Zillow – talk of a dilemma! Ideally, we want a place with young families, good schools, and closer to San Diego City – so the Carlsbads etc are out of the running.

Give it to me people. I appreciate all the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 10:16 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
La Mesa/Fletcher Hills , Santee, Eastlake Problem solved

Old 03-30-2015, 10:46 AM

148 posts, read 279,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roving_analyst View Post
As much as it was a vacation, we spent time scoping out neighborhoods such as Carlsbad, Carmel Valley, Del Sur, UTC, Mira Mesa, Sorrento Valley and some other valleys, can’t remember, Encinitas, Scripps Ranch, Del Mar, Poway, and the areas around UCSD Health system ER (can’t remember the name). We loved most of what we saw, except Mira Mesa!
I bet rent in MM is the cheapest

Old 03-30-2015, 10:56 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Ideally, we want a place with young families, good schools, and closer to San Diego City – so the Carlsbads etc are out of the running.

Give it to me people. I appreciate all the help.
University City (not UTC) fits all of these critieria and I believe you should be able to find homes in your budget. I think it's one of the best communities when you combine family friendliness, schools, and especially location as it's pretty much right in the middle of everything. Only about 10-15 minutes to Downtown, La Jolla beaches, Mission Valley, and not too far from North County either, etc...

Old 03-30-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo4fun View Post
I bet rent in MM is the cheapest
Very true, and the one we liked the least!!

Old 03-30-2015, 11:21 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Did you look at the newer parts of North County, like Santa Luz, 4S Ranch, Del Sur, Torrey Pines? They seem to be family-oriented and they have good schools. They are more 'suburban' feeling than UTC. Not as close to the city, though.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
University City (not UTC) fits all of these critieria and I believe you should be able to find homes in your budget. I think it's one of the best communities when you combine family friendliness, schools, and especially location as it's pretty much right in the middle of everything. Only about 10-15 minutes to Downtown, La Jolla beaches, Mission Valley, and not too far from North County either, etc...

I did not realize there is also University City. Now that you say that, it could be the one we visited. So this University City, San Diego - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is the one you referring to? Do you know what area codes serves this area?

Thanks.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Did you look at the newer parts of North County, like Santa Luz, 4S Ranch, Del Sur, Torrey Pines? They seem to be family-oriented and they have good schools. They are more 'suburban' feeling than UTC. Not as close to the city, though.
We drove to Del Sur from Carmel Valley, so we probably passed through them?

I liked Del Sur a lot (though is appeared construction heavy? or what is the one part we visited?). We want a town home rental, a SF would be even better. As for Torrey Pines, Santa Luz, we havent ventured into those yet, but like you say, if they are futhest from the city, probably wont be ideal... We've focused our search on the 92127/128/130 zip codes lately and we do see some great possibilities.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:41 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
I did not realize there is also University City. Now that you say that, it could be the one we visited. So this University City, San Diego - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is the one you referring to? Do you know what area codes serves this area?

Thanks.
Well University City technically includes UTC as it's northern portion but I usually refer to them separately. I refer to University City as the area south of Rose Canyon, basically the area bounded by 5/805/52 and Rose Canyon. It's a community of mostly single family homes off Governor Dr with two small shopping centers. It's the 858 area code, 92122 zip code.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:07 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
University Heights. Mission Hills
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego