Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 02:16 PM

216 posts, read 258,695 times

Advertisements

Girlfriend and I in our 20s, not interested in paying inflated cover charges at bars/clubs or some "all-inclusive" $100+ packages that includes a few drinks and a live DJ. I thought a cruise would be a good idea as well but looks like nothing under $200 per person is available.

Are there really no options here aside from paying a ton of money or knowing someone who's throwing a house party (we don't)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 02:47 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Yes, there are no options. Essentially, you are asking why red roses are expensive around Valentine's Day.

In the future, when the Horton Park expansion is complete Downtown, the are likely to host a Times Square-like New Years Eve event there, but until then, it's pay up or stay home. (for the record, I stay home).

Old 12-27-2015, 05:22 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
The best place to be on New Years is at home with family or friends. That goes for most places.

Face it Xmas and New Years are the most overrated holidays in existence.

Hey at least you won't wind up in Tijuana like me

Old 12-27-2015, 05:30 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKiwi View Post
Girlfriend and I in our 20s, not interested in paying inflated cover charges at bars/clubs or some "all-inclusive" $100+ packages that includes a few drinks and a live DJ. I thought a cruise would be a good idea as well but looks like nothing under $200 per person is available.

Are there really no options here aside from paying a ton of money or knowing someone who's throwing a house party (we don't)?

How about you and your girlfriend invite a few friends over and have a small party? Never got the hype over NYE and having to do something big.

Years ago I paid a huge cover charge at club I had been to before, drink prices were doubled, you got a noisemaker and a glass of champagne ....LOL....never again.

Create your own fun.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:42 PM

441 posts, read 534,186 times
Well, we're long past our 20's but we're going to the Paradise Point restaurant for dinner and dancing. I like that it's isolated from the crazies, lovely views of the bay, and close to home. It's expensive but not outrageous. We've done the same at Island Prime a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:59 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
The best place to be on New Years is at home with family or friends. That goes for most places.

Face it Xmas and New Years are the most overrated holidays in existence.

Hey at least you won't wind up in Tijuana like me
Even when I was in my 20's (and a party girl) I never really got the appeal of NYE.

We had a freakishly large number of kids in my graduating class die from drunk driving - like nine (or 10% of the class) during senior year and the two years after graduation. I've always been a little afraid of being on the roads on amateur night....

Where I grew up - firing guns at midnight wasn't a "thing". Totally perplexed me (still does) when I moved here - like do these people not know about gravity?

Old 12-27-2015, 10:59 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
If staying in isn't an option, and money is a concern, there's always the festivities at the World Beat Center in Balboa Park:

Alternative New Year's Eve Ascension - WorldBeat Center

Old 12-28-2015, 12:27 AM

1,231 posts, read 1,663,523 times
Do they normally shoot off fireworks over San Diego or Mission Bay on New Year's Eve? I would think out of the box and be contrarian if going out somewhere. How about bowling with friends or dinner at a teppanyaki restaurant? The World Beat Center also sounds like a fun option.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:02 AM

332 posts, read 632,478 times
This New Year's Eve will be so awesome
The stars have all aligned
So match your jerseys and cummerbunds cause now it's playoff time
It's playoff time my dear
It's playoff time
Footballs will spike when nine will strike
Cause now it's playoff time
Yes New Year's Eve will be so awesome
Watching college football through confetti
Missing out is not an option
So plan accordingly

That's what this MSU grad will be doing on NYE in my house with a couple families!

GO SPARTANS!!

Old 12-28-2015, 01:16 PM

7,410 posts, read 6,553,115 times
Save your money...though where else, besides the Gaslamp, do you have an opportunity to party with "the best of King Stahlman" future customers at inflated prices??...I would put the money aside for your next vacation, be it an upgraded hotel room or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego