Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 12:31 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times

Advertisements

South Dakota?

At any rate, yes San Francisco is famous for fog, and much more so on the west side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 08:17 AM

37 posts, read 169,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj88 View Post
I would think South Dakota is just too cold altogether (in the winter), but one thing about San Francisco - is it true that just the few mile difference between the west and east side of the city makes a difference in terms of the fog? I read that in an earlier post and was surprised to hear that. I see a lot of pictures where the Golden Gate Bridge is engulfed in fog, so it must be a usual occurrence?
Bro, SD stands for San Diego in my post and NOT South Dakota.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:04 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoy View Post
BTW, the pricing gap between San Diego and the bay area is not that big anymore. It was big 9 years ago. That's to reason I went to SD instead of the bay area. Believe it or not but back then a decent house in SD could have been had for $230k.
You're right, but once you get down to particulars (I work in tech, so I'd be commuting to Silicon Valley) and look at that 900k tract home in San Jose, my little cottage in San Diego looks pretty good in comparison.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:17 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
You really should visit both and decide which is best. I think for such an important decision, a visit is really worth it because you can get a sense of what the places are like.

Both have pluses and minuses-I could live in either and be totally happy.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:31 PM

551 posts, read 3,123,492 times
Thanks to everyone for their insight! I think I will visit both before making the decision, but it's still tough to tell what a place is "really" like until you live there. So, thanks for the insider tips

Old 02-09-2008, 08:28 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Quote:
BTW, the pricing gap between San Diego and the bay area is not that big anymore. It was big 9 years ago. That's to reason I went to SD instead of the bay area. Believe it or not but back then a decent house in SD could have been had for $230k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
You're right, but once you get down to particulars (I work in tech, so I'd be commuting to Silicon Valley) and look at that 900k tract home in San Jose, my little cottage in San Diego looks pretty good in comparison.
I haven't lived in either place in quite a while, but I do occasionally check them out on Craigslist and it seems to me that housing prices are much higher still in San Francisco. I'm looking mainly at rentals, but still .... restaurants are also definitely cheaper in SD, or maybe I should say they have more cheap places to eat there. Gas and I'm sure parking are more expensive.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:46 PM

551 posts, read 3,123,492 times
I'm thinking of going for San Diego since I think the climate of San Francisco might be a little too cold for my taste. Can you swim in the ocean in San Diego without a wet suit? Also, how are job opportunities in San Diego? Seems like the cost of living is high, but do salaries usually account for this? That's the main problem with where I'm living now (Miami)--even in the professional world, the salaries are on the lower end for most industries, but the cost of living is outrageous...I just can't build up any savings when 50% of my income goes to rent and dinner is $40-$50 almost anywhere I go.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:02 AM

38 posts, read 140,193 times
Quote:
I feel the same way.

I do enjoy my life in SD and I'm not hurting financially, but I do get sick and tired of people constantly parroting the phrase that San Diego is the best city in the whole entire world to live in bar none.

My wife came as a child to the US and grew up in Huntington Beach. After having traveled extensively and studied abroad she agrees that most people are just repeating what everybody else says. San Diego is a nice place to live, but is it the best place in whole entire world?

Sydney or Barcelona have equally nice climate year round.
I live in Vancouver and people here are constantly going on about Vancouver being the best city in the world to live....ad nauseam. It gets annoying, I wonder what criteria makes a city the "best". For me Vancouver is ok but I would much prefer to live in San Diego.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:42 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
Quote:
My wife came as a child to the US and grew up in Huntington Beach. After having traveled extensively and studied abroad she agrees that most people are just repeating what everybody else says. San Diego is a nice place to live, but is it the best place in whole entire world?
Best in the world? Not even close. Best in the U.S? That's debatable

Old 03-17-2008, 08:33 PM

461 posts, read 1,449,903 times
I Live near San Francisco now and am planning a move to San Diego. I love San Francisco, but it's MUCH more expensive, the weather sucks and the beaches are unuseable. People seriously wear coats and hats in July here. There are many hard working people here, but mostly just in blue collar fields. I worked as a nanny for a couple who had high paying high power jobs and neither of them worked more than 30 hours a week, and even then they took long lunches and basically surfed the net and talked on the phone all day, they went into the office roughly 2 half days a week. Yet still had childcare a minimum of 12 hours a day (7 days a week) and a housekeeper and a personal chef. Most of the other nannies I talk to have simular situations. People are not very friendly on the peninsula, but in SF they are pretty nice for the most part. Homeless people are a big problem in SF and most of it smells like urine. There is SO MUCH to do there but if you live outside of the city the transportation is poor. I saw an ad up just this weekend in SF for a 2 bedroom 1 bath apartment for rent for $3700 a month, I pay $2050 in Palo Alto (for 2/1, nothing special), and you can expect a big fat rent increase every year (we just got hit with $350 increase). I'm looking forward to nice weather and nice beaches and more affordable rent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego