Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2008, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 4,111 times

Advertisements

I currently live in NC by way of CT and PA. I want to move to San Diego before the spring of 2009. I do not come from an affluent family nor am I highly educated. I earn a living in the window washing/ pressure washing business, as well as lawn care. I only earn 50k but I am just starting. I visited your BEAUTIFUL city in 1994 and fell in love. It has always been my dream to comeback permanently to the only place that I ever felt happy. However, I hear it is incredibly expenses. But I figure you can struggle anywhere why not do it somewhere beautiful. Is there a market for my profession, and can a person find a very inexpensive weekly hotel or apt to live in upon arrival. And where can I put my profession to the best use. I know this is long and vague but any info would be appreciated no matter how meager. Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 12:05 PM

364 posts, read 611,008 times
One thing to consider is that SD is an area with a large hispanic labor force. Perhaps you can utilize them to compete with other window washing and landscaping companies (legally I would hope). But if you plan to do the work yourself you will find that you are competing against very cheap labor (and hard workers for the most part). We have a second home in Colorado and were surprised to find when we first needed landscaping and other manal labor that it was being done by whites at appropriately higher wages. Not sure how it works where you are coming from but you need to think about how it works in CA.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:08 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,890,586 times
You will be competing with a lot of legal and illegal immigrants who do the same job for dirt cheap/cash only. I think you would have a very difficult time in sd. But, you speak English so maybe you could become a supervisor really quick. I feel bad that this sounds like a putdown on immigrants- I really don't mean it to be, but reality speaking I could drive over to Panchos Supermarket on El Cajon Blvd and find a bunch of guys to do that work for practically free.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:28 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,399,512 times
The previous two posters have laid out the reality quite accurately. I have relatives in the landscaping business in the Bay Area and had to inform them that if they moved to San Diego they would have to cut their rates nearly in half to compete for business. While San Diego is less expensive than the Bay Area it isn't THAT much cheaper, maybe 20% cheaper.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:46 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,159,764 times
I believe there are fewer illegals now to compete with, because of the border fence and perhaps a little more difficulty for them getting jobs.

The cheapest decent place to start out that I know of would be the Peachtree Inn at 901 F st, they have little SROs (single room occupancies) that have a shower, there's tv with cable, and a microwave. They have weekly and monthly rentals.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:41 PM

15 posts, read 85,963 times
Smile Hope you pursue your dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest06320 View Post
I currently live in NC by way of CT and PA. I want to move to San Diego before the spring of 2009. I do not come from an affluent family nor am I highly educated. I earn a living in the window washing/ pressure washing business, as well as lawn care. I only earn 50k but I am just starting. I visited your BEAUTIFUL city in 1994 and fell in love. It has always been my dream to comeback permanently to the only place that I ever felt happy. However, I hear it is incredibly expenses. But I figure you can struggle anywhere why not do it somewhere beautiful. Is there a market for my profession, and can a person find a very inexpensive weekly hotel or apt to live in upon arrival. And where can I put my profession to the best use. I know this is long and vague but any info would be appreciated no matter how meager. Thanx

If you have the drive and the determination I'm sure you will be able to achieve your goals. San Diego is a beautiful city indeed and although expensive is well well worth it. Your line of work is competitive to say the least but retain your integrity and I'm sure you'll make it!

Old 02-22-2008, 07:15 PM

24 posts, read 81,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
You will be competing with a lot of legal and illegal immigrants who do the same job for dirt cheap/cash only. I think you would have a very difficult time in sd. But, you speak English so maybe you could become a supervisor really quick. I feel bad that this sounds like a putdown on immigrants- I really don't mean it to be, but reality speaking I could drive over to Panchos Supermarket on El Cajon Blvd and find a bunch of guys to do that work for practically free.

Honestly, you may get a chance for superviser, but that would take you from earning $7.50 to $8.00, at least that has been my experience. I'm also having problems getting a job in a healthcare setting because I'm not fluent in Spanish. I would look farther north in CA. Try Santa Barbara County.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:14 PM

264 posts, read 1,390,550 times
Wow, quest06320,
you make more than I did when I was working a supposedly "professional" job...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego