Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 07:36 PM

27 posts, read 91,600 times

Advertisements

Moving to SD, working in Sorrento Valley (near Qualcomm), how bad is the commute from PB/La Jolla/Downtown? Those are the areas I'm looking for rentals in right now. What area would you recommend best commute-wise? I am trying to be close to the beach and also "happening" areas so PB is a good option but would love your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 10:59 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times
From Downtown, you can take the Coaster in ~25 minutes.

PB is a nightmare for traffic, and the same with Sorrento Valley area. That commute will be a lot longer than it looks on a map.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:02 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
PB is a nightmare getting in and out of at commute times. Your best bet is to live someplace where you can take the coaster, meaning downtown/central neighborhoods or Encinitas/Carlsbad.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:02 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
The worst part of PB will definitely be getting to the I-5, so keep that in mind when apartment shopping. But, even so, it should take you 30-40 minutes max to Sorrento Valley from PB. Some days, if you hit the traffic just right, it may even be a little less. By the time you add in the transfer from the Coaster station to your workplace, you could spend the same amount of time commuting by train from downtown or Carlsbad or Encinitas.

If you like PB, and can find an apartment there in your budget, live there. You'll be fine.

(That said, make sure your apartment in PB has off street parking. You don't want to hassle with finding street parking in PB).

Old 01-27-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
The worst part of PB will definitely be getting to the I-5, so keep that in mind when apartment shopping. But, even so, it should take you 30-40 minutes max to Sorrento Valley from PB. Some days, if you hit the traffic just right, it may even be a little less. By the time you add in the transfer from the Coaster station to your workplace, you could spend the same amount of time commuting by train from downtown or Carlsbad or Encinitas.

If you like PB, and can find an apartment there in your budget, live there. You'll be fine.

(That said, make sure your apartment in PB has off street parking. You don't want to hassle with finding street parking in PB).
Thank you! I have been looking at traffic patterns at PB / downtown to sorrento valley.

This wednesday (5 PM to 6 PM):
sorrento valley to PB it was on average 30 minutes
sorrento valley to downtown was around 55 minutes to 1 hour

This means commute from sorrento to PB is better than sorrento to downtown.

I have found places in my budget in Both PB and downtown. While living near the beach in PB seems attractive, I'll also miss the access to restaurants/bars nearby that downtown offers. The commute seems to favor PB but I'm not really sure.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:12 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Why wouldn't you want to live within a 10 minute commute?

Old 01-27-2017, 10:16 AM

Thanks! I'd love that but it seems I have to get closer to downtown to actually run into people. I'll be trying to develop new relationships and it's important for me to have places to go out to nearby. Having said that, I'm still learning about San Diego, what are some areas you'd recommend? I will definitely check them out.

I'm trying to be closer to the beach / happening areas. So far it seems the areas which match this area: PB, Downtown, Hillcrest, North Park.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bholaladka View Post
Thanks! I'd love that but it seems I have to get closer to downtown to actually run into people. I'll be trying to develop new relationships and it's important for me to have places to go out to nearby. Having said that, I'm still learning about San Diego, what are some areas you'd recommend? I will definitely check them out.

I'm trying to be closer to the beach / happening areas. So far it seems the areas which match this area: PB, Downtown, Hillcrest, North Park.
Little Italy might also be a good choice to consider. It has lots of restaurants and bars, a lot of younger professionals, and it's an easier hop onto the 5 than downtown or PB. From there, you can be in PB or to the beach or get to the Gaslamp Dist. downtown in 10 - 15 minutes. Little Italy isn't quite as hard core urban as downtown areas like the Gaslamp or the East Village, but it is urban enough.

I'm sure someone will also recommend Encinitas, which is a nice choice farther north, and does have some great restaurants and places to hang out. I like it a lot but it is a little quieter than the places you're considering, and I don't think you'll save much time on your commute once you factor in traffic going north during afternoon rush hour.

Fact is, you're going to have traffic where ever you live heading into Sorrento Valley, so you might as well live where you feel you'll be happiest.

Good luck with your search!

Old 01-27-2017, 09:41 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
PB, LJ, DT would all have comparable commutes.
But what are the other top features you would want in place to live, as that may give more feedback to help decide??

Old 01-27-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
PB, LJ, DT would all have comparable commutes.
But what are the other top features you would want in place to live, as that may give more feedback to help decide??
Quoting bholaladka, the original poster:

I am trying to be close to the beach and also "happening" areas.

While living near the beach in PB seems attractive, I'll also miss the access to restaurants/bars nearby that downtown offers.

I'll be trying to develop new relationships and it's important for me to have places to go out to nearby.

I'm trying to be closer to the beach / happening areas.

====

Sounds like he wants restaurants, bars, social activity and lots of people (girls?) close at hand.

Suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego