Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 09:10 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,862,157 times

Advertisements

Glad to see you've come to the best decision for you and your family...it's a great financial sacrifice for many to move here and a lot of times just not worth it. Hope you will continue to come out on vacations! If it's any consolation many Californians have or are moving to your area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 03:03 PM

239 posts, read 662,026 times
I'm curious as to how much the op was paying for property taxes in Texas? In SD, if the OP was able to find a home for $500k, the best case scenario for property taxes would be 1% per year of the home's value. In this case $5k per year in property taxes, best case scenario. Everyone seems to think property taxes are cheap here. I'm really curious to how much property taxes are on a $250k Dallas home?

Old 08-20-2017, 05:18 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,443,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Shed View Post
I'm curious as to how much the op was paying for property taxes in Texas? In SD, if the OP was able to find a home for $500k, the best case scenario for property taxes would be 1% per year of the home's value. In this case $5k per year in property taxes, best case scenario. Everyone seems to think property taxes are cheap here. I'm really curious to how much property taxes are on a $250k Dallas home?
It would be a bit more than the CA tax on $500,000.00 (Which is at least 1.2% plus any Mello Roos), but with no State Income tax you are ahead in TX.

I have owned homes in both States.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:34 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,265,377 times
The SD weather is like heroin. Careful what you wish for, OP.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:45 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,169,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
The SD weather is like heroin. Careful what you wish for, OP.
I have that weather addiction too but get a steady morphine drip in OC and remain fully functional that way.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:10 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,673,583 times
Nice weather doesn't put food on the table, pay your mortgage, send your kids to college. or fund your retirement.

I bought in when prices were lower, but I could live without the weather if it was in the best interests of my family.

Last edited by RosieSD; 08-20-2017 at 09:12 PM..

Old 08-20-2017, 08:36 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,443,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Nice weather doesn't put food on the table, pay your mortgage, send your kids to college or fund your retirement.

I bought in when prices were lower, but I could live without the weather if it was in the best interests of my family.
Yes. Today the mantra is "go to college, get a high paying job and spend, spend, spend on what you want". Family is not a major thing to do as we see with the declining birth rates. Some is financial, but a lot is simply the idea that having fun is the most important thing in life. It isn't.

Nothing wrong with college and a good job, but the focus has shifted to self.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:04 PM

239 posts, read 662,026 times
Agree 100% with the last 2 posts!

Old 08-20-2017, 09:41 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,265,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yes. Today the mantra is "go to college, get a high paying job and spend, spend, spend on what you want". Family is not a major thing to do as we see with the declining birth rates. Some is financial, but a lot is simply the idea that having fun is the most important thing in life. It isn't.

This has been overwhelmingly the case with the Millennial generation, which has no problem bankrupting itself in search of the perfect "lifestyle experience" which has the result of them swarming to formerly inexpensive inner-city areas, crowding into apartments, and raising rents. Old residents are forced out and old establishments are forced out in favor of luxury condos, craft breweries and vegan cafes, which they flock to like mosquitos to a bug light.

However, I keep hearing rumors that Generation Z is more circumspect, sensible and conservative. Thank god.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:14 AM

771 posts, read 838,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post

That's painting with a fairly broad brush. Birth rates in the US are and have been higher than many other comparable places, e.g., most of Europe where it is below the replacement rate. Birth rates tend to drop with prosperity and education levels. It'd be a stretch to claim that vast swathes of both the US and Europe are all self-centered and living carpe diem.

If anything, over the last 50 years in the US the focus has shifted ever more toward the sole purpose of a parent being to provide every possible advantage for their offspring. Multiple languages from birth: check. Three varsity sports: check. Violin lessons from a pro: check. Best school district possible: check. Being a parent now means being subjected to unprecedented levels of scrutiny and judgement by everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego