Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 12:36 PM

3 posts, read 3,016 times

Advertisements

Hi Good People,

My husband and I are newly married and we're moving to San Diego from DC area. We were hoping to find a place not extremely far from Downtown (no more than 30-40 minutes). Some background information:

--Budget of $1700 for Rent
--Close to good running trails or parks
--Safe neighborhood

In your opinion and experience, what apartments have you enjoyed living in and what specific areas of San Diego do you prefer?

Thank you in advance,

Jane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 12:39 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
What area will you be working in?

Old 08-22-2017, 12:44 PM

It is not 100% final yet due to my husband's job situation, but around the Mission Valley area

Old 08-22-2017, 01:24 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,807,596 times
-First and Foremost, I tell this to everyone, I would move within 10 Miles of the job. Coming from Baltimore, you probably are hyped about the weather and activities here. It is hard to enjoy the weather and activities if you are commuting for example from Carlsbad to DT SD or Chula Vista to Oceanside. One of my most miserable times here was commuting from North Escondido to DT SD- this was prior to the lane expansion on the 15.

-Value rarely exists along the coasts. The exceptions are in the North (Oceanside), Central (Clairemont/Morena Area/USD area/ South (Imperial Beach). Oceanside is too remote of SD and I've never personally cared for Imperial Beach. If I had to chose between these I'd pick the central area.

-Safe is relative to where you are coming from. I feel safe in almost every area in SD, but I grew up in and around Cleveland. Though, Crime happens here. There is correlation with prices seemingly too good to be true and the crime in the area. If you think the price is too good chances are the areas may not be safe.

The best trails pretty spread out here- you have Torrey Pines (N SD) ($$$ to live near it), Lake Miramar (N SD), Lake Poway (Potato Chip Rock) and Iron Mountain (NE SD), Cowles Mountain (E SD).

The best park of course Balboa Park located minutes of DT SD- it can be expensive to live near it. You are also right under the flight paths.

Also, the weather motivated people should know, SD Weather is hit and miss here, we have microclimates. If you go 20 miles inland it is hot. This weekend will be mid 90s in parts of East County and North County SD. If you live coastal you will spend early summer days wondering where the sun is.

Based on what you have I'd suggest two areas....

Allied Gardens/Del Cerro/San Carlos area
Clairemont/Morena Area/USD area

These are solid/not great areas, but you will find good value.

Last edited by eastcoastbias; 08-22-2017 at 01:41 PM..

Old 08-22-2017, 01:46 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
West side of Santee you'll be right by mission trails and can drive down Mission Gorge road to get to MV.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:52 PM

264 posts, read 250,655 times
I second eastcoastbias's recommendation to have as short a commute as possible. Traffic is no joke. Clairemont/Morena/USD is slightly more affordable than most other areas of SD and not too far from downtown (I don't know anything about Allied Gardens etc. so can't comment). When you're looking at areas make sure to use Google Maps predictive travel times for estimates of what the commute would be like on certain days/times.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:57 PM

494 posts, read 502,104 times
DC/Baltimore area has some of the worst traffic in the country. San Diego is a relative cakewalk. Consider E. Chula Vista. (e.g., Eastlake, Rancho Del Rey)

Old 08-22-2017, 02:57 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,652,458 times
I also agree with eastcoastbias' recommendation to live as close to work as possible. So, the first order of business is to pin down your husband's work location, then shop for places to live.

If he does end up working in Mission Valley, I'd start there. There are some very nice, newer apartment complexes that have been built towards the eastern edge of Mission Valley. They'd put you close to Mission Trails Regional Park for great hiking, give you the option to take the Trolley into downtown for nightlife, and also put you fairly close to beaches. Your budget might be a little tight for Mission Valley, however.

If it is, the best value for your budget and your husband's commute is probably going to be just a little north and east of Mission Valley -- places like Kearny Mesa, Tierrasanta, Clairemont Mesa, La Mesa, San Carlos, and the College Area (near SDSU). The further east along the I-8 corridor you head, the lower the rents.

If you want a more urban and "hip" area, North Park, Hillcrest and Normal Heights are all just south of Mission Valley, and would give you easy access to Balboa Park. Areas closer to the beach like Point Loma or Pacific Beach might also be options worth considering. However, you'll likely get less space for your budget in those areas.

You can use the advanced search feature at the top of the forum to search for discussions about almost all of these areas (click on advanced, then limit the search to the San Diego forum). That will help you get a sense of the differences between these neighborhoods.

Of course, the opinions of strangers on the internet aren't as important as yours and your husband's, so until you can get out and take a look around yourself, take everything you read with a grain of salt. What makes a great area for one couple might not make it so for another.

But, all of these suggestions (as well as the others given above) will be moot if your husband's job ends up in, say, Carlsbad or Poway.

So, pin down the work location first, then look for housing.

Good luck with your move, and congratulations on your recent wedding!

Last edited by RosieSD; 08-22-2017 at 03:08 PM..

Old 08-22-2017, 03:01 PM

264 posts, read 250,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick85395 View Post
DC/Baltimore area has some of the worst traffic in the country. San Diego is a relative cakewalk. Consider E. Chula Vista. (e.g., Eastlake, Rancho Del Rey)
DC also has much better public transportation than SD.

Would never recommend Chula Vista to someone working in Mission Valley. 30 minutes to an hour one way.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:50 PM

Thank you Rosie! Very practical advice, I will keep my eyes peeled for north/east of Mission Valley. What is your favorite area of San Diego if I may ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego