Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 06:54 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,297,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
I don't think you're truly looking at the average Joe. You're looking at people who come to LA to make something of themselves, self-starters, and you're comparing them to more or less deadbeats with no motivation. It's the people you're comparing, not the places. It's true that more self-starters are attracted to LA because it represents opportunities in people's minds, but for someone just looking for a middle-class life, it's a pretty tough place. Just drive on the freeway for a while, and you'll see people either driving a extremely expensive cars or really really old crappy cars. La is very much a city of people who make it big and a huge working class that supports them. San Diego is much more of a middle-class town overall, although we also have large pockets of wealth and poverty.
I think we need some clarification on the definition of "average joe." Average Joe is only "making it" in San Diego if he arrives pre-dialed into the few existing San Diego industries.

The Average Joe I was thinking of is the guy who grew up in Buffalo or St. Louis who feels trapped by the limitations of his environment and feels that if he could get to a bigger city he could be an entrepreneur instead of just going with the inevitable "it's not what you know, it's who you know" of the American mid sized metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 07:07 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,297,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
L.A. has become insanely expensive just like SD, but what makes L.A. still more affordable to average person than SD is that there’s many many more options and areas for people to live compared to SD.

We have very limited neighborhoods these days that are affordable anymore, and these areas aren’t very large. They are also gentrifying very fast, so not too far into the future many ghetto neighborhoods in South SD, SouthEast SD and cities that some people would never fathom of living in, will be occupied by upper middle class residents. SD will be Ghetto free in the next 10 years, while L.A. will be Ghetto free in like 20-30 years as all of South Central and East L.A. will be a hipster/yuppie haven. You’ll wonder where all these poor people are going to live? On the streets? The housing crisis is not going to get better either.

While in L.A. at least you still have East L.A. and South L.A. which are massive, and rents are more realistic for the average Joe vs here.

The affordability issues hurt San Diegans more than they do up there.
I'm glad we have posters on this sub forum that can see the obvious and save me some time writing responses.

So yes, there is no where in all of L.A. county that will not gentrify and rapidly appreciate in value in the coming years. Yes, you see it happening right now in some south/east San Diego areas and you will see it on a much, much larger scale in the vast expanse south of I-10 from El Segundo to Long Beach all the way over to Norwalk and El Monte in L.A. county. The gold and expo line expansions are already creating a massive commuting area, and those are just the first steps in much larger scheme.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:14 PM

828 posts, read 692,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajohnson99 View Post
What makes San Diego better than LA?
Short answer: yes.

San Diego doesn't have the dickheads that Hollywood attracts. It's slightly farther south, so the ocean is slightly warmer, and it is less crowded and easier to get around. It isn't a night and day difference because the two cities share a lot of things in common, but I prefer San Diego to LA.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:03 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I think we need some clarification on the definition of "average joe." Average Joe is only "making it" in San Diego if he arrives pre-dialed into the few existing San Diego industries.
Tell me something about the "average Jose" in Los Angeles....

Old 01-13-2018, 10:23 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Thank you for posting this to save me the time. There is literally better Mexican food in the Midwest/northeast than in San Diego. Yes L.A. and Palm Springs both a lot better. Of course, in San Diego you an go right into TJ and get great Mexican food, maybe that's what people mean.
There's "Mexican food" and there's "Mexican food".

San Diego (and most of SoCal) does well by Baja California Mexican food.

The midwest has Rick Bayless who knows that Mexican food is far wider-ranging than Baja California.

And yes, there is the possibility from San Diego of going right into Mexico (TJ or Tecate or . . . ) and getting real - read 'great' - Mexican food.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:26 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Tell me something about the "average Jose" in Los Angeles....
I think this was a typo and should read Average Joes, yes?

Old 01-14-2018, 12:42 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,011,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambon View Post
Short answer: yes.

San Diego doesn't have the dickheads that Hollywood attracts. It's slightly farther south, so the ocean is slightly warmer, and it is less crowded and easier to get around. It isn't a night and day difference because the two cities share a lot of things in common, but I prefer San Diego to LA.
Yes it does. Instead of entertainment, they are just in the military. Or transplants from the mid west.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:56 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,263,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
There's "Mexican food" and there's "Mexican food".

San Diego (and most of SoCal) does well by Baja California Mexican food.

The midwest has Rick Bayless who knows that Mexican food is far wider-ranging than Baja California.

And yes, there is the possibility from San Diego of going right into Mexico (TJ or Tecate or . . . ) and getting real - read 'great' - Mexican food.
I have yet to really explore 'real' Mexican food across the border, but I know every single Mexican person I've ever asked about where to get the best Mexican food in San Diego just laughs and tells me there is no such thing. What we perceive as great Mexican food here is really Americanized gringo food, but I do love it!

FYI, Rick Bayless opened one of his "Red O" Mexican restaurants in UTC about six months ago, if you are looking for more interesting options.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:57 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,263,802 times
Quote:

The Average Joe I was thinking of is the guy who grew up in Buffalo or St. Louis who feels trapped by the limitations of his environment and feels that if he could get to a bigger city he could be an entrepreneur instead of just going with the inevitable "it's not what you know, it's who you know" of the American mid sized metro.
Yes, it's good to clarify. It sounds like you are definitely talking about self-starters with entrepreneurial mindsets that came from an average background. That's not what I would think of as an "average Joe," because only a small minority of people have that mindset. To me, the average Joe is the one who's complacent and happy to stay in their lower-paying job. That would be easier in SD than LA.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:02 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
Pretty much.

A few things that I can think of that LA clearly has the edge on SD for is, racial and ethnic diversity (especially Non Latino Diversity), Pro and College Sports and Arts and Concerts.

But other than that?

I was down in SD last week and had to go from Little Italy to the Sports Arena last Saturday, didn't even take 12 minutes to go 4 miles. Most of LA, that same trip takes double that.

And as far as livability? Clearly SD. Even as far as tourism, SD has almost as much to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego