Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 12:08 PM

84 posts, read 47,034 times

Advertisements

Exactly, if someone wants A/C they do. Not for me to have an opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 12:12 PM

771 posts, read 835,431 times
Random other things to think about from a guy and gal who also work remotely. Construction in San Diego will pale compared to Chicago (or anywhere with four real seasons). Many windows are single pane and nowhere near airtight. They let a lot of noise in. If you're a normal 9-5 office desk jockey, it's no big deal given the temperate climate. But if you work from home and need quiet -- either to hear yourself think or to be on calls -- that can be a lot more of an issue. Also because lots of loud work is intentionally done during the M-F 9-5 times because most people are away at work. Same issue with shared walls/floors/ceilings. Old, thin everything is more the norm so barking dogs and other neighbor noises can intrude.

That said, it's amazing to have a two-hour schedule gap and use it to walk the dog or run along the beach.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:16 PM

I work with so many people that work remotely it's a given that someone has noise going on all the time on a call be it kids, pets, traffic, planes etc. Not a huge issue. But yes with windows closed and there all day at times A/C will be necessary.

My boss is actually in San Francisco and the time gap works well for us so I can see that.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:48 PM

Any thoughts on the River Colony Condos on Camino De La Reina? Not too familiar with that area though I can picture it.

Also in genral in my mind, there is really not a "bad" area West of 805 from Pacific Beach on the North down to Ocean Beach on the South which would include the downtown neighborhoods. Given where I am from crime is not even on my radar. By "bad" I mean not desirable for whatever reason. Recalling commute and schools are not variables for me. Is that a fair assessment?

Last edited by Walkaboutcreek; 02-09-2018 at 12:57 PM..

Old 02-09-2018, 01:27 PM

686 posts, read 1,137,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkaboutcreek View Post
Any thoughts on the River Colony Condos on Camino De La Reina? Not too familiar with that area though I can picture it.
I don't think you would like this area coming from the West Loop. Mission Valley is full of strip malls and not walkable in any traditional urban sense. It's also a real pain to get in and out of and I think that is only going to get worse.

I also agree with you about the A/C. It's been getting hotter in San Diego and more humid (nothing like what you are used to) but I think it's needed especially if you work from home.

I'm not familiar with Chicago but took a quick look at condo listings in the west loop due to your post. Wow. It is much less expensive than San Diego. 300k for a modern, 2 bedroom with a 100 walkscore. You won't find that here.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:29 PM

381 posts, read 344,435 times
I believe hardly any major city has crime as bad as Chicago, but not everywhere west of the 805 is good. 5, yes. 805, not so much.

Places like Logan Heights, skid row, National City, parts of Linda Vista, etc are west of 805.

Last edited by spoonman1; 02-09-2018 at 01:55 PM..

Old 02-09-2018, 02:17 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,640,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkaboutcreek View Post

Also in genral in my mind, there is really not a "bad" area West of 805 from Pacific Beach on the North down to Ocean Beach on the South which would include the downtown neighborhoods. Given where I am from crime is not even on my radar. By "bad" I mean not desirable for whatever reason. Recalling commute and schools are not variables for me. Is that a fair assessment?
There are some areas that have larger and more visible homeless populations. I'd include the East Village (downtown), the Gaslamp (downtown) and the Marina District (downtown) and also parts of OB in that category. Probably won't bother you if you're used to that in your area in Chicago, but it can be a turn off for some, especially when they're paying almost half a million for a condo that has homeless folks camping on the sidewalk below.

You no doubt already know this, but when looking at ads, some times agents will try to "spin" the location. They'll say a place is in "Point Loma" or "Ocean Beach" conjuring images of being ocean front but it's really more the less desirable Midway area (and yes, I know *some* might consider that part of OB or Point Loma).

This probably isn't much different in Chicago, but worth mentioning any how: there are some older condo complexes here (especially older ones in Mission Valley) where the condo associations had some financial issues for a number of years after the last recession. That made it harder to sell units. So, as a result, some complexes have ended up being more renter-occupied than owner occupied and sometimes maintenance has been a bit deferred. That would be something to think about, although it wouldn't necessarily prevent me from buying if I loved the unit. A good real estate agent should be able to fill you in on that though.

Also, if you're looking any where close to the beach be sure to ask about condo association restrictions on short term vacation rentals. Most people don't want to end up in a complex full of apartments that are being flipped every few days through airbnb, and it is a real issue in some areas.

Good luck with your move!

Last edited by RosieSD; 02-09-2018 at 02:31 PM..

Old 02-09-2018, 04:36 PM

Thanks for the tips. Yes we score 100 for walkability. $300 is about bottom for anything you'd want in West Loop 2 bedroom. But I digress.

Old 02-09-2018, 05:03 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,454,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman1 View Post
I believe hardly any major city has crime as bad as Chicago, but not everywhere west of the 805 is good. 5, yes. 805, not so much.

Places like Logan Heights, skid row, National City, parts of Linda Vista, etc are west of 805.
Not everywhere west of the 5 is good. Bario Logan & Nestor are two that come to mind within the city of San Diego. There’s some sketchy parts of IB and Oceanside that are west of the 5 too.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:38 PM

381 posts, read 344,435 times
Very true. Hell, even walking around industrial areas in the Midway area can be sketchy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego