Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 11:08 PM

4,544 posts, read 12,416,612 times

Advertisements

In addition to the well known urban neighborhoods you have named, I would add University Heights. It's between, and slightly north of Hillcrest and North Park. It has it's own small walkable commercial area on Park Boulevard and neighborhood park, Trolley Barn, while still being close enough to walk to much of Hillcrest's commercial strip on University Avenue east of the 163.

If you are located west of Park Boulevard, traffic volumes will be quite low which would reduce the noise impact.

The current condominium inventory isn't large, but there are two large properties which will be redeveloped in the next few years, adjoining the intersection of El Cajon and Park Boulevards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 11:26 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,857,529 times
You might want to consider that at age 40, you’ve pretty much aged out of PB. Why not look at North County beach communities, Encinitas, Carlsbad might work for you although your budget might be low. Mission Valley has all kinds of condos with all the shopping you could ever want plus close to all major freeways. UTC area is about as close to urban living as you’ll find in SD and the trolley is going in there soon.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:20 AM

84 posts, read 47,198 times
Are you saying I am old? Just kidding. People say that about neighborhoods here but may be different. Even the "young hipster" neighborhoods are full of all ages. I prefer to be near the urban core such that it is in San Diego. The areas you mentioon are nice, I've been in them but feel even more suburban to me.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:57 AM

381 posts, read 345,352 times
^Agree. UTC is full of high rises but is a newer suburban style street layout and much more car centric/less walkable in the traditional sense than the older urban neighborhoods of SD.

Last edited by spoonman1; 02-10-2018 at 09:38 AM..

Old 02-10-2018, 09:18 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,465,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
You might want to consider that at age 40, you’ve pretty much aged out of PB. Why not look at North County beach communities, Encinitas, Carlsbad might work for you although your budget might be low. Mission Valley has all kinds of condos with all the shopping you could ever want plus close to all major freeways. UTC area is about as close to urban living as you’ll find in SD and the trolley is going in there soon.
This couldn’t be further from the truth. The demographic living in PB has changed in recent years. You might not want to go to certain bars after 10pm, but living there I couldn’t disagree more. I know, I’ve lived there 20+ years. North county is great if you have a family, the OP doesn’t. Mission valley is as bland as it gets, with UTC being more so. Neither mission valley or UTC is walkable when you really think about it, unless walking down busy roads to malls and office parks is your thing. Also the trolley line isn’t to be completed until 2021 to UTC, a good friend of mine working on the project says that isn’t likely either. Not trying to pick on these communities, but the OP wants walkability.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:36 AM

50,399 posts, read 47,145,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
This couldn’t be further from the truth. The demographic living in PB has changed in recent years. You might not want to go to certain bars after 10pm, but living there I couldn’t disagree more. I know, I’ve lived there 20+ years. North county is great if you have a family, the OP doesn’t. Mission valley is as bland as it gets, with UTC being more so. Neither mission valley or UTC is walkable when you really think about it, unless walking down busy roads to malls and office parks is your thing. Also the trolley line isn’t to be completed until 2021 to UTC, a good friend of mine working on the project says that isn’t likely either. Not trying to pick on these communities, but the OP wants walkability.
Yep, once you get North of the apartments in PB it is an older crowd. All you need to do is take a drive mid morning to see who's out and about. Of course, you won't see them in the bars on Saturday night on Garnet but you'll see them Sunday morning at one of the dozens of churches.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:49 AM

I'm an early bird, my best hours are over by the time when the young crowd gets going so that's never really an issue. Even when I was 20 something and going out it bugged me it got going so late. Back then I dreamed of the ultimate dance club that was hopping at 6PM and shut down at 9PM. These days you could make it earlier. Working from home and not having kids I can pick the best times for us to be anywhere that fits us so I don't worry too much about it. We hit all the hip spots where we live now for 5PM dinners where we get good service and small crowds. So I like the hip dense areas, I just go off cycle.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:14 AM

Sorry, didn’t mean to infer that you’re old by any means...now me, I’m getting old! I think it’s hard to replicate the urban structure and vibe that Chicago has and does so well. California is car centric and probably always will be and, yes, SD is a huge county made up of lots of suburbs, all with their own unique feeling. Guess it depends on lifestyle and economics more than age.

Old 02-10-2018, 03:04 PM

No offense taken, I do feel old these days but don't get too hung up who I am around as long as they are good people. And I totally get I will not be able to duplicate the urban feel here even if I manage to land in a condo where I can walk to a few things. I am trading one thing for something totally different. I often find the comparisons of which is better pointless, whatever works for someone. That sad the suburbs suck and so does everyone in them. Just kidding ;-)

Old 02-10-2018, 11:03 PM

You’re right in thinking that east of the 805 is where you find the more stereotypical suburbs like Scripps Ranch, Poway, Penisquitos, Rancho Bernardo, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego