Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2018, 06:15 PM

7,410 posts, read 6,553,115 times

Advertisements

I was pointing out there is a $43M condo for sale as an extreme example. Yes, that is not for everyone, only the elite—but why would the rich want to live on top of poverty as you originally claimed about here..now, there are a lot of successful professionals in the area who can and do afford $500K and above condos. Not all go for $2M, $5M or $43M though there are plenty of high priced ones here.There are a lot of finance/international finance-banks workers along with medical professionals and attorneys in this area. Just because this is a 75% Latino area does not mean they do not live here full time. I suspect the area will also receive its share of people from NY, NJ, and even CA who relocate here following the new tax law and reduced write offs.

You are mistaken if you think BCC is DOA. This project is owned by the Whitman family, which also owns Bal Harbour Shops—consistently one of the top, if not the top, sales per square foot grossing malls in the country. We are talking high end shops, not anchored by a Macy’s or Nordstrom’s. Do not judge this mall by foot traffic, measure it by register sales which is the same thing with Bal Harbour Shops. Nordstrom’s needs to sell a lot of socks and branded jeans whereas the ring from Kiton, Santoni, Chopard is another story. Yes, many foreigners drop major cash here that benefits the local economy. I do love that Apple Store as I always get great service and, yes, La Centrale is a 3-story Italian eatery with several dining options. To a lesser extent, Casa Tua (single story, multiple food stations) across the street in Saks as well.

There is less pedestrian traffic on the weekends when people are not heading to work but it is far from some financial centers (SF comes to mind) that are dead. Besides Brickell Avenue, there is South Miami Avenue with Mary Brickell Village and other restaurants/bars/markets/cigar lounge, etc. There are also very nice walking paths along the bay starting by the drawbridge and W / Icon, Brickell Key, and by the Jade—where I live. This is a luxury building directly on the water with killer amenities (2 infinity pools looking towards SoBe and Fisher Island along with a huge 5 Room gym with health spa/Massage that is about 30%+ less expensive than a comparable Meridian or Pacific Gate condo). This is what appeals to me, not to mention more clean cut professionals and unbelievably gorgeous women, mainly Latin, who have style. It also is within close proximity to several other neighborhoods that I mentioned in my earlier thread and tends to be cooler than the beach since it gets a constant breeze and the tall buildings block out some of the heat.

I could see how you missed some of the better restaurants, etc as they are incorporated into high rise condos or office buildings, but they are here. I could see how you or someone else would hate the area if they had to commute to work (I don’t) and deal with the traffic and god awful /worst drivers. I could see how you might not like paying $1000, or more, HOA fees. I could see how a white (American/Caucasian white, not Latino or Hispanic White)might feel a little uncomfortable or have a more difficult time blending in with residents in an area that is 75% Latino.

For an URBAN experience, DTSD really cannot compete with Miami. SD is really more suburban than urban...from a suburban perspective, SD would be more preferable to me than suburban FL but I still have 15 good years left in the gas tank before a slower, suburban lifestyle will appeal to me.

Sounds like you might have stayed at East Hotel. I like Marlins Park and look forward to the Yankees coming to town in August. Might be the only 2 sell outs all year. Wynwood is OK but I could see how your poverty comment would be appropriate there. Edgewater is overrated. Midtown and Design District are OK. The River area is fun (The Wharf, Garcia’s, Seaspice, Kiki) especially on a weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
And who can afford anything mentioned above? The wealthy tourists and second home owners, that's who. Certainly not the average Miamian. I've said it before, Miami is a playground for the rich.

I just got back a weekend in Miami and stayed in Brickell. A block away from BCC. I've gotta say, that mall is DOA (Dead on Drrival). The only place with shoppers was the Apple store. The other shops had no one in them. Had lunch at La Centrale and there were plenty of places to sit since no one was there. Eataly-esque? Now that's funny. I can't believe anyone would build a downtown mall these days. Even Horton Plaza has plans to be partially torn down and repositioned.

What's the big deal about Brickell, anyways’ ? I drove down Brickell Ave and it's not very walkable, at all. Lots of staircases leading the building lobbys. The view from my hotel was of mostly empty residential towers and zero pedestrian activity.

South Beach seems ghetto fabulous these days. Wynwood was jammed with tourists taking selfies of themselves. Not sure I ever need to go back to Miami again. I visited a couple friends but my main purpose was to catch a game at Marlins Stadium, where the announced attendance on a Friday night was 5,992 fans. Yes, 5,992!
Hi

Last edited by elchevere; 05-13-2018 at 07:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 06:18 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divagotstyle07 View Post
Right now I'm leaning towards the south east. Warm weather but with rain and some mild season changes. Lower cost of living and affordable housing in respect to salaries. I would be able to get work in basically any metro area.

I'm hoping to be near the water but may make some concessions since I dont need the OCEAN. Large lakes and rivers may work just fine for my purposes, so perhaps greenville SC. Other than that, savannah GA, Raleigh, Wilmington NC... and go from there!!
Raleigh Wilmington and Greenville can be good choices. Avoid Savannah city, though outlying areas are nice. Also look at Jacksonville, FL as it has good prices and is a large and growing city with nice areas around it if big city life is not what you want and ... cooler in the Winter and about the same as the other areas in Summer you mention. I have lived in NC so am familiar with it and also SD in CA and I am now in FL.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:14 PM

354 posts, read 385,581 times
Moving on from south Florida....

If you guys wanna chit chat about florida make your own thread please.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:20 PM

354 posts, read 385,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Raleigh Wilmington and Greenville can be good choices. Avoid Savannah city, though outlying areas are nice. Also look at Jacksonville, FL as it has good prices and is a large and growing city with nice areas around it if big city life is not what you want and ... cooler in the Winter and about the same as the other areas in Summer you mention. I have lived in NC so am familiar with it and also SD in CA and I am now in FL.
Jacksonville is on my list!! I was there briefly mostly just driving thru.

I wish I could see all of these places without having to take so much time off work and rack up the airline miles!! Maybe I will have to take some weekend trips this summer to help narrow it down.

What do you think of Charlotte? I've not been to raleigh Wilmington greenville or Charlotte so I am trying to decipher them all from each other. I want to be able to enjoy time outside as much as possible and have a city with some character. I dont want to be stuck in suburbia but I also dont really consider myself a city girl.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:21 AM

3,079 posts, read 1,745,013 times
Quote:
So you moved from Miami to LA now? That was fast. What happened? Bored so easily?
Ooops, someone is triggered, look at all these false posts to support your false claims.

Quote:
South Beach seems ghetto fabulous these days. Wynwood was jammed with tourists taking selfies of themselves. Not sure I ever need to go back to Miami again. I visited a couple friends but my main purpose was to catch a game at Marlins Stadium, where the announced attendance on a Friday night was 5,992 fans. Yes, 5,992!
Right because Pacific Beach is and OB are not filled with homeless and no one takes selfies in San Diego right? Oh yeah, and the Padres and the San Diego Chargers were such GREAT sports teams right? Oh way, it's LA Chargers now.... ooops.

Last edited by stablegenius; 05-14-2018 at 05:32 AM..

Old 05-14-2018, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 735 times
Havent had a chance to read through all the posts. But I was born and raised in North Carolina, in Chapel Hill. I moved to SoCal a few years ago and I can tell you that I dont miss NC very much, just my friends and family who are still there. If you are talking about people's demeanor, NC and SoCal are actually very similar. Every one is very friendly and outgoing and this is one thing I do like and am used to. In terms of diversity you arn't going to get much over there. It is mostly White and Black. I'm Asian and while I loved having mostly white and black friends, it was definitely a positive culture shock coming to Cali. In terms of things to do in NC, its a lot less. There are things to do but you are going to have to drive a lot farther. Everything is very spread out. Chapel Hill is in the middle Piedmont area of the state. It takes about 4 hrs west to get to the mountains (Asheville) and 3 hrs east to get to the beach (Wilmington). This is in comparison to SD 2hrs to get to big bear and beach right there. And if you decide to move to either the beach or mountains, there is nothing else near by and are going to get sick of the city very fast. The biggest metropolises are DC 4.5hrs north or Atlanta 6hrs South. I dont consider Raleigh and Charlotte metropolises as they are pretty tiny. If you want friendly people though south east is your best bet. You can tell that people in DC and North of that are stuck up as the first question they always first is, Hi so what do you do? And they then proceed to judge you if you say you collect garbage or kiss your feet if you tell them you are a doctor etc. Im the latter, but I hate judgmental people and it get so old. I just tell people I clean the toilets for a living which I do in my clinic when the staff are busy. If they are still interested in talking to me after then they are worth my time. You dont really get that crap in Cali or NC.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:01 PM

242 posts, read 184,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volk234 View Post
You can tell that people in DC and North of that are stuck up as the first question they always first is, Hi so what do you do? And they then proceed to judge you if you say you collect garbage or kiss your feet if you tell them you are a doctor etc. Im the latter, but I hate judgmental people and it get so old. I just tell people I clean the toilets for a living which I do in my clinic when the staff are busy. If they are still interested in talking to me after then they are worth my time. You dont really get that crap in Cali or NC.
This is so true...the northeast is completely like this, my husband and I have actually talked about this a lot, and I love that NC and SoCal are not this way.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:17 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,937,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesickgirl View Post
This is so true...the northeast is completely like this, my husband and I have actually talked about this a lot, and I love that NC and SoCal are not this way.
At least in the Northeast you're unlikely to get: "What church do you go to?" (Although in Philadelphia I did once get "what synagogue do you go to?" and I'm not Jewish; but that was at a Jewish cultural event where the crowd was probably 95% Jewish or more. It was the only time that ever happened, and I think the woman who asked me was rather blatantly husband-hunting.)

Old 05-15-2018, 12:44 PM

242 posts, read 184,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
At least in the Northeast you're unlikely to get: "What church do you go to?" (Although in Philadelphia I did once get "what synagogue do you go to?" and I'm not Jewish; but that was at a Jewish cultural event where the crowd was probably 95% Jewish or more. It was the only time that ever happened, and I think the woman who asked me was rather blatantly husband-hunting.)
I've only been in the south a year, but I've never been asked what church I go to. It may be because Wilmington is an overwhelmingly liberal part of the south. Doesn't really feel as Bible-belty as much of the south seems to be.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:57 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divagotstyle07 View Post
Jacksonville is on my list!! I was there briefly mostly just driving thru.

I wish I could see all of these places without having to take so much time off work and rack up the airline miles!! Maybe I will have to take some weekend trips this summer to help narrow it down.

What do you think of Charlotte? I've not been to raleigh Wilmington greenville or Charlotte so I am trying to decipher them all from each other. I want to be able to enjoy time outside as much as possible and have a city with some character. I dont want to be stuck in suburbia but I also dont really consider myself a city girl.
In each of those cities it is not hard to find a place that is not suburbia yet is not a long drive to the city. Beaches will be a few hours away and ditto with the mountains. In a way it is like SD County if you live inland. It will have humidity and cold, but many like the 4 seasons in moderation and NC has that. The humidity is a personal thing and while I like dry air my body likes humidity.

I have lived in SD and love the area, but to some extent it is true it does not have the real 4 seasons. Mind you if you want snow you can drive to the SoCal mountains, play and be on the beach for the evening.

Definitely takes trips if possible, as each is a little different and there are different areas to go to near each.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego